Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Will have to find somewhere else to shop!

Click below.

Jessops Slashes Jobs And Ignores Gift Vouchers

01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Sucks if you have a gift card (or an item you were going to return)!
01-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thankfully I don't , but have only just bought my K30 from them so I'm glad the didn't close the doors before it was delivered!
01-10-2013, 01:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No wonder really, over staffed,sighting shops in the most expensive retail locations, big over size stores buildings , they should have survived but their top management must suck.

Any one with retail management expedience could see it coming, all the classic visual no no signs were there, and in every store you went in to, it is just the same.

They opened a new one in the most expensive shop retail area of Bristol last November, two floors with a STUDIO! and sign out side proclaiming they run photography courses.

What a laugh, the staff don't even know the products let alone have clue about portraiture or how to teach anyone. This is store where I was told the new x5 was discontinued and I had the model wrong that kind of says it all.

01-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most retailers don't know the stuff they sell, I have worked at retail store myself, they don't tell us anything I just work there and have to figure it out myself.
Yet lucky I do have a good based knowledge on anything tech.
01-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Forum Member

Surprised it took so long for them to go. Expected them to fold about 5 years ago (if not longer).

Ronnie
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Store closings

What surprises me is that so many stores everywhere do not have qualified sales persons in the camera department (well in most it is the "electronics" department). This is true mostly in the chain stores which sell the high end Canikons, Sony, Olympus etc. but no Pentax. (Actually, it is very hard to find a dedicated "Camera" or "Photography" store within two hours drive for me.) Maybe that is an indication that Pentax is doing something right, not putting their products in stores where most employees wouldn't know the difference between the brands.

Last year I witnessed a sales person in a chain store trying to sell a camera to a lady and he had no idea what, or how, to explain to her. Being a "Buttinski" I actually inserted myself into their conversation and more or less sold an appropriate camera to the lady. They both thanked me for my input.

01-11-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would love to work for Best Buy, I would be their big sales booster
They have Geek Squad but they don't know nothing about cameras Just computers, I know more then that!
01-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's a bit sad to see them in this situation. I used to pop in to a Jessop's store whenever I visited the UK, but they clearly moved from being run by people who knew photography to people who didn't. Another example of how people who know business don't know the business they're in, I suspect.
01-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
What surprises me is that so many stores everywhere do not have qualified sales persons in the camera department (well in most it is the "electronics" department). This is true mostly in the chain stores which sell the high end Canikons, Sony, Olympus etc. but no Pentax. (Actually, it is very hard to find a dedicated "Camera" or "Photography" store within two hours drive for me.) Maybe that is an indication that Pentax is doing something right, not putting their products in stores where most employees wouldn't know the difference between the brands.

Last year I witnessed a sales person in a chain store trying to sell a camera to a lady and he had no idea what, or how, to explain to her. Being a "Buttinski" I actually inserted myself into their conversation and more or less sold an appropriate camera to the lady. They both thanked me for my input.
No reliable ones in the SW portion on the state (PA) as well. Sure there is just one single store just north of the city of Pittsburgh, but… Most of the employees have zero clue of what they are talking about. The store also caters to the film era - not that there's anything wrong with that. They cater to film for all of the students in the local tech schools and colleges
01-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Prices low > Salaries low > knowledge low.

Pretty much the same story at every discount store in any industry.

Jason
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I tried to buy film in two local Jessops stores a few weeks ago and I might as well have asked for the moon and the stars.
01-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

It gets worse. Apparently there have already been announcements of store closures and the website has ceased taking orders despite the initial positive spin in the article in the OPs post.
Jessops Close All Stores - 1,370 Jobs To Go
Jessops: Purchases Halted On Website
01-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure if I'm sad about this or not. Certainly lots of people loosing their jobs is bad, and more empty shops on Britain's high streets is not helping either. But I never liked shopping in Jessops - poor staff, little or no Pentax, no used stuff, and all the smaller items on hooks were behind security tags so you had to ask someone to let you read the back of the box. And hopefully it will force more people into better camera stores (and not towards Currys, Argos etc), thereby helping the rest of the industry.

I wonder what will happen to the Jessops stock; massive Ebay sale perhaps?
01-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Joe Nation Quote
I'm not sure if I'm sad about this or not. Certainly lots of people loosing their jobs is bad, and more empty shops on Britain's high streets is not helping either. But I never liked shopping in Jessops - poor staff, little or no Pentax, no used stuff, and all the smaller items on hooks were behind security tags so you had to ask someone to let you read the back of the box. And hopefully it will force more people into better camera stores (and not towards Currys, Argos etc), thereby helping the rest of the industry.

I wonder what will happen to the Jessops stock; massive Ebay sale perhaps?
Apparently all the stock is being returned to a central warehouse, and from there back to the suppliers / manufacturers. Word is, most are owed huge amounts of money and are reclaiming the stock rather than get pennies on the pound from the liquidators.