Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New MacBook Pro 15in

My parents surprised me today with an early birthday present: A 15 inch 2.6 gHz MacBook Pro! Its the non-retina display, HD-Antiglare screen. Can someone suggest a color profile to use that best represents printed work? Most of the work I do ends up printed into sizes ranging from 4x6 up to 16x20. Just looking for something that gets my whites white and my blacks black! On my old HP, my pictures ended up being printed anywhere from 1/3 to 1 full stop darker than what my screen actually showed.

01-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
To answer a few questions and to also make a few generalized statements...

Was the HP a desktop of laptop?

Because most current laptops (going back 5+ years) offer boeth computer chps and also graphics cards that have a power saving feature when switching over to batteries. Naturally this will normally also effect almost every screen setting in the world.

Plus on most any computer out there, whether laptop, desktop, or whatever - very few people go to the effort to properly calibrate their monitors. Also even going so far as to properly adjusting the settings for any monitor without even calibrating it.

Then there's the quality of the monitor. Which is why most graphics professional often have items such as Lacie monitors which typcially exceed 1k - yet still have the need to properly calibrate the monitor.

Also were the pics that were taken and viewed on the HP taken in using the cameas raw file setting??

It could also be something as simple as using built in printer software such as through Adobe, or even something such as "print preview". Does both your computer and your printer both use and support current versions of PicBridge?

How often were test prints made and also reviewed? What types of paper? Was the computer set for the exact type of paper?
01-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbuck92 Quote
My parents surprised me today with an early birthday present: A 15 inch 2.6 gHz MacBook Pro! Its the non-retina display, HD-Antiglare screen. Can someone suggest a color profile to use that best represents printed work?
The default color profile provided by Apple is already calibrated to the screen, you probably don't need to mess with it.
01-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good to know that the default profile comes calibrated already.

The HP was a laptop. I had changed my energy saving settings to be on high performance when plugged in, power saver when on battery. I customized it all to my own preferred max processor threshold, RAM settings, display, etc. All pictures that I would edit were done in RAW. I'll do a few test prints once I get my new Mac up and running. Still need to install Lightroom on the machine, but can't do that until I'm back at school later this weekend.