Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

For the Pentax-loving doll collector...

...who has everything else.
I guess
Miniature 1:3 scale cameras.

A Takara Tomy Pentax 1:3 Scale K-5 K-7 MX Miniature Camera Gashapon Full Set 6 | eBay

01-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we know someone here who might be very interested.
01-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've see "sh*t happens" bumper stickers for years now. Does this mean that we will start seeing "gashapon" ones, too?
01-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think we know someone here who might be very interested.
They're actually on Amazon these days too. I'm just waiting on them to make a K-30, lol. I figure my dolls might as well have one since it will be a long while before I can go there....

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Capsule-Mini-Camera-Keychains/dp/B006YY3YRM/ref...tax+key+chains

These are my latest dolly obsessions...

Flickr: Lorifina doll (Hasbro)
delilah noir - Flickr: Search

I got 3 Delilahs for Christmas. (Also a Silkstone Barbie, several Barbie Basics, a couple of Bratzillaz....) The Lori's I got recently online for a fraction of what they retailed for. They're discontinued now unfortunately but that also means you can buy them pretty cheaply too. They're a lot larger than the 12-16" fashion dolls I usually play with but I'm really enjoying the 2 I have so far. My nieces are nuts for these too. They're each getting one of them for their respective birthdays. I've been eying those toy Pentax cams for a while. I just haven't gotten around to it as yet. They have yet to make an SPII replica or a K-30 that I can see, though I have seen a K-x once and been tempted. But yeah, I think they're cute and they are the perfect size for my Tonners, Lori's etc. They'd make great doll props.....:P I'm not doing too much non-work photography these days though. I can barely manage the jobs I have to do to pay my rent. I've been sick all darned winter I think. This hot/cold constant shift thing is really not doing me any good. I wish it would just stay cool....

Last edited by magkelly; 01-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They've come a long way since the Barbies I had as a kid... or maybe there were always these collector dolls & I just never knew. Are you into "Pullips" as well? I was wandering aimlessly on eBay one night & found these. Had never heard of them. I'm astounded at the prices. Prices just for clothing, even! Whew. Some are lovely, but it's out of my budget. Maybe a mini one
So do you do photo setups with these dolls?
Hope you feel better soon too.
01-19-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The bigger fashion dolls and BJD's have been around for a while, but it has really taken off since the mid 90's. I'm not really a Pullip fan. To me they're just Blythe knock offs and I prefer the original. Don't have a 12" Blythe though or even a knock off. I can only afford the little Pet Shop ones. I do have a couple of the J-dolls though that are made by the same company now. I found them at Goodwill one and fortunately for me no one realized that they were $100 plus dolls! I got them for a fraction of what they were worth.

I started out collecting Barbie and ended up collecting the 16" dolls. Lately I'm even going to the 20" and above dolls and I just got my first BJD's, albeit they're American made vinyl ones and not anime inspired resin ones. The prices are extreme, yes, which is why I buy most of my doll stuff on deep discount via major sales or used. I can afford the odd $20 Barbie but anything beyond that and usually I can't so I tend not to go there. $500 resin BJD's are beyond me. Most of the Pullips I couldn't go there anyhow. The minis I could, but not the regular ones. Way too expensive for my budget.

I make a lot of my clothes and props, pretty much live at Goodwill. I have mock room set ups that I've done. Props. Things like couches and chairs, and ladders. I put them in the same situations I'd put human models in. It's very good practice actually for portrait shooting. Fashion dolls light just like humans for the most part and unlike people they never get tired or crabby. There are lots of doll boards where people post pics and have fun.

Lately I'm rather obsessed with my Deliah's, the Lorifina's and I'm majorly collecting the Barbie Basics, the Monster High dolls and the Bratzillaz but I go off on other tangents too. I've added a couple of real vintage but not rare Barbies to my crew of repros. I've been scoping out the bigger 60's and 70's fashion dolls lately. I snagged a Durham Charly doll from 1980 and I'm actively looking for a 70's Tiffany Taylor doll I can afford because I like her face. Varying things up, that's what keeps the hobby interesting for me.

About the only dolls I won't collect are porcelain kid dolls and dolls that look like newborns. I do have a few of the porcelains but they were handed down to me. I don't go out and buy porcelain kid dolls unless it's for parts, like wigs and I get them for like $2 or something. Even then most of the time I keep the parts I can use and trash them otherwise. The newborns they just totally creep me out. I can admire them for their detail but they are too much like the real thing for me. I'm not much into 50's style dolls either though I have a couple.

I'm hitting Goodwill tomorrow or maybe the flea market on Sunday with $20. I need a lift. I'm badly depressed today. Friday, I had to attend a funeral for someone I knew and also put one of my cats down on the same day. It was a HORRIBLE day all round. I hate January. Everyone I care about always dies in freakin January. My boy's been sick for a while and it was time, but I didn't and am not taking it well. I just hate having to go there. I was up all night crying with him the night before. I got physically sick just taking him into the vet's. I was shaking so hard I could barely carry him and it was pretty awful, the whole thing. I know I did the right thing but I still feel utterly miserable. I've never been able to reconcile that. Knowing it has to be done and feeling deeply dismayed and even a bit guilty that I have to go there. Logically I know I am being a good cat Mom when it's this bad, but it still feels like a betrayal on some level.

Anyway, I'm getting way too maudlin here and not really talking about dolls so off I go...
01-19-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wonder if they are going to market more interchangable lenses?

K-5
01-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awww... Mag, I'm so sorry about your kitty, and the loss of your friend too. I lost 2 friends at sea in Oct. & still thinking about that a lot. And, I had to make the decision when our first cat, the one I grew up with, had intestinal cancer. The vet let me in on the operation. It was a couple of days before Christmas. They are family, & it's so hard to lose them. My cat now is older, & although she's still doing ok, I dread the day when she won't be here anymore.
You did the right thing, if he was suffering. They're not able to tell us whether they want to go on or not, so we do the best we can for them. In time you'll think of him & smile about the happy memories you have of him. It just takes time.

... and the doll photo thing sounds fun, but I never thought of it as practice for shooting people, since I'm not into portraiture. Good point though. In some cases they're probably much better models! I did see a few flickr pages where people had posed them in various setups. Maybe I'll start playing with a macro lens & the mini one I ordered

Anyway, hugs to you for all you are going through at the moment!

01-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks. I think I hate my one bro just now. This morning he was all back to business as usual. Me, I'm totally moping and grouchy and he's like "Get over it. People do die. Life goes on and it was just a cat." The person that died was basically an honorary aunt to me for my whole life, a good friend of my Mom's and just about my last link to her and he's shrugging it off like "Whatever, she was old..." and the "It's just a cat..." comment? I could have just slugged him for that. 15 years with an animal and I'm just supposed to get up and be Polly Sunshine the day after putting him down apparently. My brother was definitely born lacking a sensitivity chip....:P

Oh and the woes of January are not over yet apparently. My stepmom just announced she was leaving my Dad this morning at breakfast. Divorcing him, just like that, apparently because she has decided that she wants to live the rest of her life where her kids are. Valid decision I suppose, but rather harsh for Dad. That means not only will she be going away, back to where her kids are, but that means I will lose her sister, also an honorary aunt, a friend, and someone I am actually very close to.

Bleh....
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow. 'Enough already', you must be thinking. Sometimes we just have those times when everything around us seems to turn to crap. I hope things work out amiably for your family... and you can still stay in touch with the honorary aunt (I have one of those too), can't you? If you want each other in your lives, you'll find a way to do it.
Males are not good at grief. Or showing emotions. Your brother's reaction may be a defensive one. He may feel worse than he's letting on & doesn't know how to show it. "Get over it" may be as much part of his mind telling himself that, as telling you. I'd give him some space for a while & find some more sympathetic friends to talk to about things.
Some people just don't appreciate cats (or pets) though, & there are many for whom it's "just a cat" or "just a dog".
Well, hang in there. You'll have some hugs & sympathy from your Pentax friends
01-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

2013 is being pretty wicked to us so far, but we will endure. :P And yeah, that's me being sarcastic. I just spent the last hour over at my Dad's place cleaning up blood and patching him up. He just somehow banged his foot and lost a toenail. It's minor stuff but being he's this old he will need to visit the doc on Monday and he was just there last week for something else. Thing bled all over the place. It was amazing how much there was. (NO, I did not take pics. Grossed me out too much, lol...) Thanks, for the comments. Appreciate it. Nice to know there are people who give a shiz out there.
01-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Aww, Mags *hugs.* I know how it is with kitties and all.

Think we could all use a good break lately.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I wonder if they are going to market more interchangable lenses?

They don't look like too much of a modelling challenge, actually, if anyone had their heart set on some lens in particular for Holly Hobbie or something. They're basically just cylinders: I think I could make pretty good ones with some hobby files and wooden dowels: all I'd need is some kind of power drill that can go fairly slowly to use as a little lathe. I've got a neighbor I share tools with, so probably could do. Might have to lay hands to a bigger drill chuck or figure something else out to do big-diameter teles or whatnot.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-21-2013 at 03:57 PM.
01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I got almost a set already.
There's also Kx and Kr version.
I also include one of the toy in my previous lens sale. lol
01-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I finally went back to yoga class tonight. My psyche and my blood pressure need it I think. But it took me a while to get up the courage to go. Of course I walk in and everyone is far more svelte than I and wearing $100 yoga tops and $100 yoga pants and they don't look like they so much sweat as glow. So intimidating! Pudgy me I'm there in an old tank top, a sports bra, and some old cotton capris that I know don't go all clammy on me in bad places when I do sweat. Compared to the rest of them I probably looked like I was from Mars...

But I took a deep breath and plunked down my lovely black mat, my strap, my black blocks and the pretty OM yoga bag that I got cheap on Amazon and I gave it my best shot barring any risky poses that might be unwise for me given that I have several pieces of plastic in my neck and back. Actually it was a gentle Hatha class so not too much of that fortunately. Just lots of nice stretches and a few balancing poses here and there. I surprised myself. I got through the whole class without falling on my plump arse even once. Not bad considering I haven't been to an actual class in long, long time and have no balance because of the problems with the auto immune stuff, my eyes and my ears. Been doing a few videos as prep. I guess that helped because I didn't end up embarrassing myself. Probably will at some point though I am sure. I've fallen flat on my face quite a few times at home. For an ex-dancer I'm not exactly graceful these days. Not to mention I'm a bit of a balancing whale at present....

Actually one woman came up to me and welcomed me after and the teacher did too. They liked my bag and stuff. Wanted to know where I got it. Made me smile, cause hey, at least my gear looks like it will be popular! Can't say the woman beside me was that gracious. I didn't do anything rude but the whole time I was there she acted like I was farting in class or something and I know I wasn't stinky at all. Took a long shower before class to loosen up my muscles and refrained from eating for 4 hours before just to make sure my digestive system wouldn't get unruly, so there! (That can happen in yoga class actually, to anyone. All those bend and twists can lead to a positive symphony of toots, particularly if someone is eating vegan which of course a lot of wanna be yogis are! There are so many videos on You Tube. It's hilarious...) I even asked if that space was usually used by someone and she said "No, feel free." so I don't why she went there. She actually looked very pissy when she saw that I actually took it. But there was no more space and she said it was okay. I'm guessing she liked it and considered it her private little corner or something? Who knows? Well, sorry lady, but I will be back next Monday, so better get used to it!!!! Heck I might even show up for the Friday class too at some point if all continues to go well....

Yoga is good for me when I am sad, overworked, stressed, achy et all. I've been all that lately. I need to work more on the weight-thyroid-autoimmune thing and yoga helps balance all the glands and stuff. Makes me hurt less,and generally makes me less of a shrew! Helps with the photography and getting to where I can actually bend to make the hard shots too. I'm putting myself on a very simple de-tox elimination diet Feb 1st too. No milk, no meat, maybe no nightshades, definitely no wheat for a while again. I have to. I'm rashy all over these days, getting auto-immune reactions to just about any food I can think of and my stomach is a mess besides. My system clearly needs a break from normal food, maybe for good in the case of some things.

I'm going back to rice, what few veggies my system can stand, juices, smoothies, nuts and nut butters, stuff like that until I can figure out what's been setting my whole system off. I hate it and eating Cali style in the Deep South, not so easy. They do have more health food stuff than they used to but it's expensive and the produce here sucks even at the height of summer. I'm not much into being vegan girl and all but at this point if I thought it would help at I think I'd refrain from food entirely and let them IV me every day!!! My stomach always hurts and I'm just too swollen all over. It's not just weight it's the effect of certain foods on the auto immune crap, I know that, but I just cannot nail down which ones are the culprits, at least not eating normally, so back to being hippie vegan chick it IS. Better veggies and rice than eternal gastritis, and who knows maybe I'll end up like THIS inspiring guy and end up completely transforming myself to a much healthier state....:P

Arthur's Transformation (Extended Cut) - Never, Ever Give Up!! - YouTube

I know I've been a tad grumpy lately.Sorry, I am trying very hard not to be such a sad sack, really. Been a hard year so far, but I aim to make it better.... :P
01-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Inactive Account

good

good job!