Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone else tired of your every internet move being watched?

OK, it is bad enough that somehow Facebook sends me targeting ads for photography and woodworking equipment. However, last week, my wife and I were looking at ideas for remodeling the bathroom. Guess what porcelain fixtures I see now everywhere I go on the net?

This is getting creepy.

01-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To avoid this, you got to clear your cookies every time you finished browsing =P Because I don't, I also see t-shirt of camera graphics on FB and everywhere I browse also.
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, its pretty nuts. Apparently superstores are also doing this.
Oh, and I heard that not only is there face recognition software, but it has been expanded to just "silhouette recognition" - it looks at body proportions and posture and can match a person. Its terrifying what this digital age has brought to us. And the worst is, there is no way to resist. I mean, what, a revolution against wallmarts? Against google ads?
01-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yep, its pretty nuts. Apparently superstores are also doing this.
Oh, and I heard that not only is there face recognition software, but it has been expanded to just "silhouette recognition" - it looks at body proportions and posture and can match a person. Its terrifying what this digital age has brought to us. And the worst is, there is no way to resist. I mean, what, a revolution against wallmarts? Against google ads?
I've stopped allowing myself to be tagged on FB for that reason.

01-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
To avoid this, you got to clear your cookies every time you finished browsing =P Because I don't, I also see t-shirt of camera graphics on FB and everywhere I browse also.
Perhaps that helps. Also, all kinds of shopping sites now allow you to log in using FB, rather than going to the trouble of setting up an account. Some of it comes from there.
01-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There are sites available that allow for more anonymous browsing. You go there first, and anything you access from there is blocked from your user info.

The cookie think was already listed, but it's true. Delete them all periodically, unless you want to sort through them and keep certain ones, like the one for here that logs you on. You can also set your browser to not accept cookies, but that causes other issues, since some sites won't let you access them unless you accept their cookies.

As for Face book, I don't use it. That's not to say I don't have an ID, just that I never post anything there - period. Nor do I post on other people's FB page. I had a feeling when it was first introduced it would turn into a data mining site for advertisers and shady characters, and it has. Unfortunately the same holds true for Google, which sells your searches to related vendors, which has caused me to go to other search engines.
01-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Unfortunately the same holds true for Google, which sells your searches to related vendors, which has caused me to go to other search engines.
Actually, I think Google is the source of my being pursued across the net by the Porcelain God. That is where I was searching for bathroom furnishings. An alternative search engine may be in order.

Last edited by GeneV; 01-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.
01-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Actually, I think Google is the source of my being pursued across the net by the Porcelain God. That is where I was searching for bathroom furnishings. An alternative search engine may be in order.
That, or access Google after going to one of those anonymous sites I mentioned.

01-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Btw, facebook showed me an ad for pentaxforums once or twice
Is Adam one of the shady characters buying datamining info? Haha, just kidding, I love these forums and don't mind to see ads for them.
01-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Depending upon what browser you use there are ad blockers you can use. There's also a privacy setting in the new version of IE and Firefox that allows you to browse in a protected session. I also keep an eye on cookies, delete any that are not from my forums and other regular sites before I close my browser. I don't like to just arbitrarily delete them all though because some are about being able to log in rapidly and I don't like to have to put in my passwords for places like this forum every time. That being said running into some ads on the internet is pretty much unavoidable. You can minimize that but not get rid of it completely. But they're doing it mostly via cookies. If you just tell your browser not to let them track you it helps a lot.
01-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #11

Google also offers opt-out plugings.

Privacy tools ? Policies & Principles ? Google
01-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Other than the toilet, it is really not the ads that bother me. It is the fact that all this information is being gathered.
01-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
Google also offers opt-out plugings.

Privacy tools ? Policies & Principles ? Google
Interesting.. It's amazing how much info is collected on visitor traffic from Google analytics, statcounter, histats etc. Looks like there are a few things that can help from the link you provided, but I don't think there is anything that can stop people recording what pages you visited, where you are from etc.
01-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

When you use those little "Customer Loyalty" cards at the drugstore, grocery or other retailer, they gather all the information, which you can bet is available to the highest bidder. If you pay cash, you have to pay more for many or most items.

So if you buy a couple of cases of beer, some wine, real butter and a box of frozen fried pies, your Health Insurer may consider you a high risk and want more premiums...or just drop you altogether.

Welcome to the New World Order.....we were told it was coming, and it did!

Regards!
01-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I just came across this entertaining little article today about things that happen on Facebook.
These People Are Now Sharing Horrible Things About Themselves Thanks to Facebook Search