Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in Oahu in November and it was awesome! We saved a ton of money by purchasing Groupons for the bulk of our excursions and meals. Some of the things we did:

sea kayaking in Kailua
snorkeling in Haunama Bay
Surf lessons in North Shore
sailing on Makani Catamaran
Scuba diving off Waikiki
Luau at Sea Life Park

If you go to Groupon's page and search for Honolulu deals, you should be able to see what's current. Just check expiration dates and make sure they coincide with the time you'll be there so you can use them. Lot's of photo ops in Oahu, but even better if you like water sports and have a GoPro or underwater camera.

01-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #17

Kailua Beach and Kaneohe Bay (near the Marine base) for windsurfers. North Shore for waves and surfing photo ops.
01-22-2013, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

... oh, and one MORE thing... (this thread is bringing back many memories)...
Ask about kama'aina rates at attractions. I don't know if it's still the case but when I was there some gave admission discounts to residents. You had to be able to give them a residential zip code (as opposed to a hotel; they could tell) or show them a power bill or something like, with an address. If you are staying with family that should be easy
01-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
... oh, and one MORE thing... (this thread is bringing back many memories)...
Ask about kama'aina rates at attractions. I don't know if it's still the case but when I was there some gave admission discounts to residents. You had to be able to give them a residential zip code (as opposed to a hotel; they could tell) or show them a power bill or something like, with an address. If you are staying with family that should be easy
Thanks for the tip! I definitely will... as soon as I find out how to pronounce the word convincingly, LOL.

01-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Hee hee. I'm sure they could tell I wasn't the first time I tried.
Here you go:

Kamaaina - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Kama'aina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Have you checked in the "Gatherings, Photo Trips, and Groups" section of the forum? There may be some good recommendations there as well.

Have a great trip!

Jason
01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Have you checked in the "Gatherings, Photo Trips, and Groups" section of the forum? There may be some good recommendations there as well.

Have a great trip!

Jason
I didn't even think about it. Thanks!

01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #23
Banned

Photos: Albums
If one happens to go up into those snow covered mountains up near all of the telescopes and all... See if they started construction on the thirty meter telescope there - by the time it's done it will cost well over one billion
01-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Hee hee. I'm sure they could tell I wasn't the first time I tried.
Here you go:

Kamaaina - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Kama'aina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'll be practicing until it can roll off my tongue. I am so excited about this trip, especially since I had a weird fixation with Polynesia when I was a teenager because I was a HUGE fan of the band The Jets, who are Tongan-American. I've always wanted to go to Polynesia (and Melanesia) and Hawai'i IS a Polynesian island. Hopefully not, but it may be the only place in Polynesia I will ever get to visit so I'm super excited. I can't WAIT to spend the day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.
01-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
I am so excited about this trip, especially since I had a weird fixation with Polynesia ... and Hawai'i IS a Polynesian island...
My first impression was that Honolulu felt like any big American city, with palm trees. It has the usual big-city problems (various incidents occurred while I was there). There are hints of Hawaiian culture, but like I said, it wasn't till I got out of the city & went looking for cultural & historical sites, visited heiaus & started learning things about the history of the place, that I began to "feel" Polynesia. But yes, once I began to get this, I felt that Hawaii wasn't America after all, it was Polynesia.
You might like this book:
Hawaii & Its People: A. Grove Day: 9781566477055: Amazon.com: Books

The view from Tantalus hill, 1996. Yep, that's me
(Yay, 400 posts, & a photo of a fun day to celebrate!)
Attached Images