Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 224
Travel Insurance. Any Albertan's here that can recommend?


I will be heading home (NZ) for one month in 1 week and am in need of some insurance to cover mainly my photo gear. I currently reside in Alberta Canada. Seems all insurance options don't cover such items or exclude them if stolen from a parked car. This doesn't really do it for me.

Any one with experience?


01-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
I've never had the need myself, but my first thought is to check with your home owners insurance company - there are all kinds of riders you can put on your policy. If you don't own a home, your renters insurance should do the same.
01-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,918
I have done a bit of traveling with some and at times all my gear - I have never taken out insurance. But I do like Stan''s idea of your home owner policy - it may be not be that cost effective though. Once I regretted the no insurance as I dropped K20D and Pentax DA* 50-135 from about shoulder height onto some pavement. As good as these items were built , there were no match for gravity and the sudden stop onto a hard surface. I am not sure insurance would have covered 'stupidity' though ....Sometimes if you booked with a Credit Card they may have a 'lost or stolen' items coverage good for 'x' dollars as well - check that out.
01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 224
Original Poster
k, thanks. Seems this is a hard thing to find. Might stick with my working overseas insurance as that looks to cover the most.

01-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Alliecat's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East of Everywhere, Canada
Posts: 721
Are you a CAA member, or the Alberta auto association? CAA travel insurance is pretty good, & may cover belongings...
01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #6

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,668
Here is one which varies widely depending upon where one travels. Everyone that travels with their camera and/or computer should seriously consider this...

Depending upon ones own policy and also where one happens to be at the time; something one should think of...

If you happen to be in your own vehicle, and are in an accident. *Let's exclude liability on this one* If you have a computer and/or camera with you - are they both completely covered; minus a deducatable - and up to what amount?? Also consider... With an "ole fashioned" platter drive hard disk - the hard disk might in fact be so damaged it will not work - depending upon year made and quality of model, etc... So there may also be data recovery services needed.

So would it be covered by ones auto policy, renters or homeowners, or attachment to ones policy? Also note if you have more than one paid "assignment" over a twelve month period that one needs to have a business policy - yep it's built into versions of the american contracts.

Either way, have fun "bargaining" with ones polocy over this one.
01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,207
I use travel insurance with a major credit card provider on a per trip basis. It is usually about $40 per trip
Just reading the policy doc, it pays up to $300 per article, regards photo equip as 'high risk items' and therefore limits aggregate coverage to $500 per occurrence.
It does also provide cover in personal or rental cars for the duration of the trip.

One time ( with another insurer) I accidentally towed my boat trailer over my camera bag. Destroyed ME Super. ...On the phone " Wazzat ?? you DROVE OVER your camera ??"
So the insurance co sent me to a camera store to pick out an "equivalent" and the shop manager showed me the MZ-5 but was limited to giving me a P30T !
01-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Senior Member

Join Date: Dec 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 224
Original Poster
hmmm. It seems to me however that at only $300 per article or $500 total for camera gear wouldn't even cover a camera body let alone a bag containing body, lenses etc. It seems my working overseas insurance, while expensive, will cover more and I may just take that.


  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It is 2012 soon...any plain grip that can add a bit of weight to my kx? telly0050 Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 02-08-2013 11:56 AM
Here's that PRI 360 camera prototype LowVoltage Photographic Industry and Professionals 3 09-19-2012 05:51 PM
Does any insurance company offer standalone camera gear coverage? GibbyTheMole Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 08-17-2012 08:26 AM
Any notebook that can support 2 external monitor? raider Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 19 06-13-2012 05:41 AM
Travel Insurance for Photography Equipment kangeroo82 Photographic Technique 3 04-29-2011 07:55 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 AM. | See also:, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]