Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I must admit the thing that most irks me is "What a nice camera! You must be a great photographer!" as if I can't be a good photographer with a P&S.
This is a good one:
A photographer gets invited to a friends house for a dinner party. He brings a some new photographs with him to show his host. The host looks at the photographs and exclaims: "These are wonderful! You must have a very good camera."

The photographer says thank you and the evening continues.

After dinner, the photographer turns to his host and remarks, "The food was wonderful. You must own some very good pots and pans."
Ouch! :-)

02-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ivan, that is CLASSIC!
02-25-2008, 06:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Well join the club. Real problem is when your significant other rushes you along photo wise and doesnt understand. Photographers as a whole do not have the best marring track reccord. And Photojournalists are the worst of all catagories. I have all 3 strikes against me, Photojournalist-freelance, photo biz owner, pentaxian (LBA)
02-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it mildly (& only mildly) annoying when some people (ie:family members) try and pose when you bring the camera out. All you are trying to do is to get some nice candids in natural "poses" for the family album.

Then you try and put the album together and you dont have those lovely relaxed shots that show these people in their true light.

Oh well.

02-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
I find it mildly (& only mildly) annoying when some people (ie:family members) try and pose when you bring the camera out. All you are trying to do is to get some nice candids in natural "poses" for the family album.

Then you try and put the album together and you dont have those lovely relaxed shots that show these people in their true light.

Oh well.
I have to agree with you on this one! It's either they go all out and pose or as soon as they see the camera they cover their face and scream "Eww no! I don't look good today"... *sigh*

I just love taking natural candid shots!
02-26-2008, 05:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Most of my photography is done at work and being a truck driver means I largely have a one-man workplace. I take what I want, if I want, if the situation permits.

Recently I like to go on photo walks around town and though I have invited my kids, no one has ever gone with me. Often I will have my wife drive me somewhere and drop me off. Then I walk around until either I'm tired or the sun is going down, then phone my wife to come pick me up wherever I happen to be. Again, being all alone I take what I want, how I want, and take as much time about it as I feel like.

Once after picking me up my wife asked if I had taken any great shots. I told her it was similar to when I used to go fishing and she asked if I had caught any fish....to which I replied that catching fish was not the point of going fishing. If I were in search of some great shot I would have the place picked out before I ever left the house, would drive there myself, and would dash from place to place with a single-minded devotion to getting the photo(s). I go partly to enjoy walking around and seeing new things and partly to photograph whatever serendipity throws in my way. I might take a hundred shots....or I might take five. It's as though photography is the excuse for the walk, and the walk is the excuse for the photography. Neither is the goal/purpose in itself.

The only time I do photos for others is for my dancing girls and they treat me like a pro, bless their hearts. They give me free rein to do whatever I want and the only time they ask for a particular photo is an occasional group shot to commemorate some event.
02-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Like motorcycling, photography appeals to the loner in me. When you are on the bike you are in your own little bubble of reality. You can ride in a group but unless you use intercoms, you usually have to pull over when you want to talk to any riding companions. Photography is the same for me. When I am shooting it is me and the camera and the subject. If non-photographers are along for the trip, and a central purpose of the outing is photography, usually they know me well enough that the shot is what is important to me and give me the latitude to get it. I don't discount their presense or value of course, but when the camera is in my hands it is the priority. When friend and family time comes I generally leave the camera in the bag (or pull out the P&S) so that I can give them the attention they deserve. If I just have to mix modes then I adapt and sacrifice the occasional shot or cater to "get that shot" requests.

04-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #23

my biggest problem is that whenever i pick up my camra with friends they all run for cover, make the worst faces, etc.. i can never find someone willing to be natrual around the camra. also i can never find someone to take portraits of.
04-27-2008, 02:41 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everyone's got a suggestion for what makes a good shot - that's fine, let them suggest away. You can choose whether to take it or leave it - doesn't make you any more or less of a photographer.

I just had my own family over for a long weekend, and I too got a lot of that - on the whole I just smiled and continued shooting, then just appeased them with some of the results (mainly shots of them). Then I put the camera away and enjoyed the rest of the day with them...

Yes Heather, I too have been rushed by my wife - but then she is known to be a little impatient, which is incompatible with taking good shots, so I'm careful when to bring my camera out when I'm out with my wife and kids...

It's all about finding a happy medium...
04-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

3 Strikes

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Well join the club. Real problem is when your significant other rushes you along photo wise and doesnt understand. Photographers as a whole do not have the best marring track reccord. And Photojournalists are the worst of all catagories. I have all 3 strikes against me, Photojournalist-freelance, photo biz owner, pentaxian (LBA)
Uhhh . . . I think I counted 5
  • Photojournalist
  • freelance,
  • photo biz
  • owner
  • LBA
04-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #26
Ed in GA

I'm not real sure how I've missed this thread and am just now seeing it.

Well here's my take.

What a blessing.

My wife not only understands why, but encourages me to take whatever time necessary to get my shot.

In fact, on a number of occassions, she has simply said "you go ahead with that, I'll go over here and look around"

#2. My wife does say from time to time that she thinks a particular scene would be a good photo. I generally listen to her and then tell her why I think it won't or say "Yep, let me get a shot of that."

What I've learned is that how much you tolerate situation #2 is directly proportionate to the amount of time you get left to your devices for #1.

Yes, what a blessing.

Ed

Last edited by Ed in GA; 04-27-2008 at 04:24 PM.
04-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I must admit the thing that most irks me is "What a nice camera! You must be a great photographer!" as if I can't be a good photographer with a P&S.
Sometimes this works to your advantage though. I was out shooting recently and ran into a bunch of people having a picnic brunch along the Potomac. They picked me out as a "good photographer" based on the look of my K10D. After atking a couple of pictures of their group outing, they proceeded to offer me a whole assortment of baked goodies from their meal. Upon returning with said hoard to my wife and daughter, I was granted much more lattitude with regards to "rant #1" since they had something to munch on while I when crazy with my camera throughout the rest of the morning.

All in all, everyone made out well :^)
04-27-2008, 11:24 PM   #28
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote

Oh well.
I have the same problem with my wife. She always has to look directly at the camera and strike a pose. I've actually got some quite good shots by putting the camera in Continuous mode without telling her but the first shot is NEVER the one I want.
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM   #29
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
As my interest and skill has grown in the pursuit of my photography hobby, I've found that there are a couple of things about the non-photographers in my life that really annoy me...

1. When we're out together, a lot of them (especially husband) tend to want to rush me. They don't understand that getting really good pictures takes a little time (framing, adjusting the manual controls on the camera, focal length, etc.). As a result, it takes the joy out of it for me. If I'm in such a hurry, I may as well use as P&S. The remedy--go out alone, or with other photographers who will understand.

If all else fails, then simply put the camera down; it's better than throwing it down on the ground in frustration or see the remedy for #1.

Thanks for letting me vent...
Heather
I solved the problem a while back. I just make sure that I'm walking behind my wife so when I stop to take a shot, she walks on oblivious. One of to things usually happens; either she has to come back and find me and by then I have got the shot I want or, if I'm lucky, I get the shot and run to catch up and she is none the wiser.
04-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

You are reflecting many people's experiences here and this makes photographers quite lonely most of the time.

However, this is why shooting with fellow photographers sharing the same passion is so much more fun.

A few gatherings or outing with photographer friends are often fun where the whole group might stay in one spot for hours without moving onto the next. Regardless it is about macro, field trip to waterfalls or street shooting taking photos at random, it is almost pleasure to shoot with people who would appreciate your creativity or offer criticism of your work.

As Dan has mentioned to you, do what you believe that is important to do. This is a family outing. Your family would need to respect your hobby and appreciate that you are maturing yourself as a photographer instead of having you to nag on the rest of family members necessarily. Leaving you alone is working in their favour

I am sure they will understand that it is crucial to give you time and space while taking photos. If you started to concentrate on your loved ones with extra attention and attempt to double check on everything they did whenever you were interrupted taking photos, they would know that it is better to leave you alone ...

Last edited by roentarre; 04-28-2008 at 04:32 AM.