Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a photographer thing--you just wouldn't understand... (mild rant)

As my interest and skill has grown in the pursuit of my photography hobby, I've found that there are a couple of things about the non-photographers in my life that really annoy me...

1. When we're out together, a lot of them (especially husband) tend to want to rush me. They don't understand that getting really good pictures takes a little time (framing, adjusting the manual controls on the camera, focal length, etc.). As a result, it takes the joy out of it for me. If I'm in such a hurry, I may as well use as P&S. The remedy--go out alone, or with other photographers who will understand.

2. Other people telling me what to take pictures of ("That would make a good picture..."). In a situation where you're traveling with someone else who's doing this, the best thing is for them to have their own camera and if they start doing that to you, then sweetly remind them that they do have a camera of their own and why not try that shot themselves. Usually, a second camera will keep them quiet.

If all else fails, then simply put the camera down; it's better than throwing it down on the ground in frustration or see the remedy for #1.

Thanks for letting me vent...
Heather

02-24-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
Inactive Account

#2 is a problem for me. Im 15 and whenever out with my family, they are always trying to tell me what would be a nice picture. It's not that I don't want their input, but it gets a little annoying after a while.
02-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

my biggest complaint are my friends that get all fussy and annoyed when i run around them shooting

only to praise me the next day when i post pictures from that evening, silly people.
02-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh, I just ignore them. It's the easiest way to get things done your way, without much fuss.

02-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, #2 also happens to me sometimes.

What i do is point the camera to where they're pointing and shoot randomly, everybody is happy after that.
02-24-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
while I can understand to some extent the mild rant, you also have to consider it from their perspective.

SOme people can be amazingly slow when taking photos, or the situation is never just "right" and they wait forever to get a shot. There is something to be said for a reasonable proficency in shooting.

as for the suggestion that "that would make an interesting photo, if you don't like those suggestions, you certainly would never be a pro. What gives you the absolute right of judgement on photographic layout. Looking at what others see and find intersting is part of understanding how different people see and relate to images. Each suggestion is another perspective on the view.
02-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

They don't like it, they can move on. Chances are if you have your cam with you, they know what's going on. People care more about self than others, you should know that. I'll take as much time as I need, thanks.

What gives me the "absolute right of judgement[sic] on photographic layout"? It's my cam.

Attitudes like that are the reason I'll never do portraits/weddings/people gigs. Also entertaining how you determine professions for people.

02-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

I have similar problems - but with slight variation:

Point 1 - When out with other non-photographers, I do feel rushed. I ask if they want to move on - they say no - then stand behind you and "SIGH ----- look at the watch ---- SIGH". However, going out alone - is just that - being alone. So the compromise is - when I am out in order to shoot - I let them sigh and ask them to go find some place to sit while I do my thing. Although now that this happens - I am spending a lot of time just looking for them. More time looking that I spend shooting lately. Oh well - only 12 shots this year maybe it is time to look for something else to do.

Point 2 - Sometimes when I am out and a shot is suggested - it really is something I missed. I do put my twist on it though. They suggest a shot - I walk around for a few minutes to give it a look see and usually fire off a few frames. Some of them make it to the "gotta show this one" list.

Now - I have gotten to the point where when I am out and about, I put the camera away and do things totally with the other people. Then I remind them that I just spent the last <fill in the blank> <time> not taking images - now it is my turn, time for you to let me do my thing.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
02-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I completely understand and can indeed relate to all points mentioned here...

When I was just getting into photography, none of this really mattered, I used to take tons of shots, then would come home, and ended up keeping maybe 30% of the takes.

Over the years, as I began to understand photography, my approach to this hobby completely changed, I would like to think that I developed certain style that suits my imagination, and great deal of shots I take now days are thought through prior to the outing/hunt for that shot/s. Be it a theme, subject, colors (what ever it may be), I tend to plan ahead... And with this approach, it requires some "me" time, so when I do get out for few shots, I tend to go alone, so nothing and no one distracts me, nothing gets in the way.

Right or wrong, it works for me

Regards,
D
02-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

these are the things we as photographer's will always have to deal with. Death and Taxes of photography.

With digital I don't really worry about number 2. I'll just take the picture they suggest. If it sucks, just delete it. But often, it can lead to a pretty nice picture.

I do feel a little bad about number 1 though!
02-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not like I don't want to be open to other peoples' ideas, I think it's more how they present their ideas than anything. If someone makes a suggestion once in a while, then I might be OK with it, but my experiences have mainly been with people who do it constantly--almost every time I want to pick up the camera.

Not too long ago, one afternoon, I was out in my yard taking a few shots (I might have been testing out a lens or something) and my neighbor across the street, who I find annoying anyhow, came over and started talking with me about my camera and launched into giving me a bunch of suggestions as to what to take pictures of. For one thing, it was late afternoon and I was tired from working all day and just wanted to get a few quick shots, that's all. I tried to be polite to him, but after a while, I think the annoyance boiling up inside of me finally boiled over and onto my face, as he suddenly apologized and slunk off. Usually he's one of those you look for any reasonable excuse to get away from after a few minutes of conversation, but not this time.

When it's your spouse or other people you're travelling with, it's a little harder, as you really do want to enjoy their company, but you can't when they're getting on your nerves constantly. One solution that seems to help some is to make sure that they have their own camera with them, even if it's just a P&S--at least it does somewhat for my husband. As a matter of fact, the forum member that I sold my DS body to was in a similar type of situation with his wife; he bought the DS for her to use on their vacation--it's easy enough to use if she uses it in green mode or one of the scene modes and it will hopefully keep her out of his hair, at least when he's shooting.

Of course the idea of simply humoring them and taking the picture they want me to take might be a good idea, at least every once in a while.

To get my alone time with my camera during the day, I find myself taking off a weekday from work every once in a while to indulge myself. My husband's not one to take much time off from work and when he does, it had better be a really good reason (in his mind, at least), so I don't have to worry about him. I tend to me more of an introvert, so it doesn't bother me to do some things alone that might make other people feel uncomfortable.

I've got another possible alone day with my camera coming up sometime in March. Husband wants to go to Daytona Beach for our anniversary, but he also wants to get in some deep-sea fishing. I've tried deep-sea fishing and I can't stand it, so he suggested that I drop him off at the dock in the morning and then come back and pick him up when the boat comes back in the afternoon. I can most definitely handle that, as I'll get to go enjoy doing something I'd much rather do.

Thanks for letting me vent...
Heather
02-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Passions can be such a tricky thing to share with others. It's great when it works for everyone involved, and frustrating when it doesn't. When those you care about don't care for other things you care about, I think you have to make time for yourself and your passion, time that isn't shared with someone else who lacks the passion or an appreciation for it. Then, make time for them, because they're one of your passions, too, right?
02-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
BPT
Veteran Member

I am pretty lucky my wife grew up with a Mother who has a passion for photography so she is used to someone stopping and taking a bunch of photos. #2 only really bugs me when I am concentrating on taking pictures of something and someone keeps trying to pull me off that and to take pictures of something I am not interested in.
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I completely understand and can indeed relate to all points mentioned here...

When I was just getting into photography, none of this really mattered, I used to take tons of shots, then would come home, and ended up keeping maybe 30% of the takes.

Over the years, as I began to understand photography, my approach to this hobby completely changed, I would like to think that I developed certain style that suits my imagination, and great deal of shots I take now days are thought through prior to the outing/hunt for that shot/s. Be it a theme, subject, colors (what ever it may be), I tend to plan ahead... And with this approach, it requires some "me" time, so when I do get out for few shots, I tend to go alone, so nothing and no one distracts me, nothing gets in the way.

Right or wrong, it works for me

Regards,
D
agree with you, D.
If I want to take some serious pictures, I need to be alone. It's a mood I get in, like I don't need anyone talking to me, or asking if I'm done yet, or even just hanging around asking what on earth I'm taking a picture of. Then if I want to spend half an hour figuring out one scene, so be it, or I can take 100 pictures in that time, of various things. Either way, it's without messing with my mojo, or whatever you want to call it.
02-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was a professional musician for a while, an artistic endeavor that is close to impossible to do on your own unless you are a singer/songwriter with a guitar or piano (I'm a woodwinds man and a jazz player) one of the joys of photography for me is that it is (for me anyway) essentially a solo endeavor. Occasionally I go out with other photographers to shoot. But I usually leave the camera at home if I going out with friends. Not being married helps. I must admit the thing that most irks me is "What a nice camera! You must be a great photographer!" as if I can't be a good photographer with a P&S.

NaCl(If I get a K20D will that make me even better?)H2O