Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OneEyedDoe Quote
haha my apologies, by close up I didn't mean right in front of the animal, even a far off zoom would suffice or even a blurry glimpse. Just something native from that area is what I was looking for. I am fine with any animal, a photo of a nice buck would be even better.

The trip is anytime in the year of 2013, so I can work around seasons if need be. The Rockies is a good suggestion, when would be the best months to go to these areas?
As early as June, but really late July and August is the prime season -- the snow doesn't melt until then at the higher elevations. Depends what you are looking for and what you are prepared for. If you are going to stick near the car (4WD advisable for many of the mountain passes) then any time in the summer you'll find things to look at. Lots of cool stuff in Wyoming as well.

02-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can say where NOT to go. Here - as in Central Florida / Disney. This is tourist hell. Not much to see here without really digging!
02-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
As early as June, but really late July and August is the prime season -- the snow doesn't melt until then at the higher elevations. Depends what you are looking for and what you are prepared for. If you are going to stick near the car (4WD advisable for many of the mountain passes) then any time in the summer you'll find things to look at. Lots of cool stuff in Wyoming as well.
Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it!
02-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #19
Forum Member

If you are open to Canada, how about Banf and Jasper?
Incredible mountain scenery and an abundance of wildlife.

If you are adventurous, you should check out the Bugaboos. You would either need some mountaineering skill, or need to hire a guide service, but you will see scenery that few have seen before.

Another option is California. It has Yosemite, the rugged yet accessible mountains of the Sierra Nevadas, and miles of lonely beaches.

02-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote

If you are adventurous, you should check out the Bugaboos. You would either need some mountaineering skill, or need to hire a guide service, but you will see scenery that few have seen before.

Another option is California. It has Yosemite, the rugged yet accessible mountains of the Sierra Nevadas, and miles of lonely beaches.
Great suggestions in Canada thank you!
02-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not experienced the American northwest. Mattb posts a lot of beautiful CO images. The mountains are there.

There is a lot of natural beauty around Las Vegas; beautiful sandstone formations.

For a car trip from SC you could do a lot worse than a trip to Central KY in the spring or fall for the horse farms. The summers not so good.
02-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The advantage to places like Yellowstone, is, if the animals are used to people, they don't get as skittish when you're there. I have twice seen bears in the wild, and never good for a decent picture, although I did once get a blurry one like you describe. However, if I go to the town dump, I can get lots. Where I live the easiest way to get wild looking pictures of moose is to drive along the highway. I've been on over 60 trips through the bush and had animals in my sites but even the beep of the focus lock can spook them from more than 100 feet away. Wild animals are good, but not too wild. I got more wildlife shots in the Rockies than anywhere else, but all close to or in Banf national park. I'm thinking you could probably hook yourself up with some kind of a tour that would get you the opportunities you want.

That would actually be a good topic for a discussion. Tours for wildlife photographers.

02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I think I would book a Grand Canyon rafting trip. Next would be a trip to Alaska.
02-10-2013, 08:48 PM   #24

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I'm Canadian so a little biassed, but the Canadian Rockies are awesome, Jasper is quieter than Banff, if you want fewer tourists. In the US, I'd vote for Wyoming - for Yellowstone - I rented a cabin right in the park and had a wonderful time. There are also the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming and they were wonderful too. I did quite the trip in 2010 and drove from Manitoba to Alberta through Waterton/Glacier National Park, down to Yellowstone (through Montana) them across Wyoming, through the Big Horn Mountains to the South Dakota Badlands, across South Dakota then due north through South and North Dakota home. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
02-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Oregon Coast is nice, with seals, birds, surf, sand dunes and interesting coastal rock formations.

Phil.
02-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote

Canada, especially British Columbia does offer spectacular scenery and wildlife, but like Alaska, prices, especially fuel, are considerably higher than the continental US.
02-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thank you so much everyone! I thought I would have a hard time picking my destination but you guys have really narrowed it down and made it easier for me.
02-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I've never been to the western states and there is a ton of stuff to see out there but thinking this over, I would want to include Glacier Nat. Park in a trip. My reason? The glaciers are receding fast and and there are predictions that at current melting rates, the glaciers will be gone by as early as 2020. The photos I have seen of the place are simply stunning. I retire in a year and Glacier is hopefully a first stop on my travel agenda.
02-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #29
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
If you decide on Yosemite, it isn't too far to drive to some other national parks such as Sequoia and Kings Canyon. If you're going to Yosemite, I like early May because the waterfalls are fullest then and it is just starting to get really busy, not crazy like later in the year. I went to Sequoia before Yosemite this year with a friend from work. After seeing the General Sherman tree, Bill was really disappointed in Yosemite's Mariposa Grove.

If you're going to go to different parks during the trip, you might consider buying an America the Beautiful pass. They're $80 for one year so see if that would be cost effective for your plans. I was surprised to use it at Red Rocks Canyon near Las Vegas this summer, because it didn't occur to me right away that it was a Bureau of Land Managment property, but then 85% of Nevada belongs to the goverment so I should have expected it.
02-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Regarding the time of year to come to the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, British Columbia), the winter can be grey, wet and stormy (which can be beautiful if you're prepared for wet weather) and the mountains will be snow covered. The island here caters to tourists (storm watchers) on the west coast and Mt Washington a little further up island usually gets the largest snow base out of any ski resort in N. America. Summers are usually sunny and moderate.

I've lived on the east coast (Connecticut) and it's beautiful.......and have worked in Nova Scotia which was spectacular. That whole upper east coast is another option....

Once you pick a spot, I'd ask again for the best local locations for the particular time of year you plan to go.....