Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kindle Books Pricing

I'm an avid reader, but because of working 70 hours a week for the past 7 years, just haven't had the time. Now my situation has changed, and back to reading a lot.

About a year ago I bought an Android tablet mainly for internet access while on the road. Now that I am home more, I've found I really like reading on the tablet. I never thought that this would be the case as I always like the concept of curling up on the couch with a good book - part of the feel and smell of the book I think. But, I've actually found it easier to read on the tablet with the adjustable back light and font size.

So, I go do a little shopping on Amazon for a couple books - actually photography books that I've had my eye on. I almost automatically got the Kindle version, until I looked at the pricing. The book I was looking at is $19.99 for the Kindle version. But, the paperback version is $17.15 with free shipping (order over $25). What is going on here? There is no cost of paper, printing, or shipping for the Kindle version, but it is more expensive? Also add to that the fact that I can resell the paperback version if I want - not possible with the Kindle version.

I just don't understand this - can someone enlighten me as to why there is this price difference?

02-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Barnes & Noble has done similar things with the Nook. It's a rip off, at least IMHO. They have to be a making a lot more money off of ebook sales, (compared to hard or soft cover) profit margin-wise. Not only is no printing, shipping or handling involved, there's also no inventory.
02-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
It's been my experience that the more expensive Kindle books have pricing that is "set by the publisher". I think this is a last attempt by publishers to keep people ordering the dead tree version of a book. They won't allow Amazon to discount the prices on eBooks like they do on traditional books.

Many authors are going to self publishing, Guy Kawasaki describes this in his book APE:
APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book: Guy Kawasaki, Shawn Welch: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

When I buy a photography book, I am still buying the actual books but for everything else I am going with the Kindle.
02-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For fiction reading I almost always buy at yard sales, used book stores or the public library surplus sale. I rarely pay more than 50 cents for a $10 paperback. I looked the readers but I read too much to pay those prices.

02-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

They've been doing this since the beginning of downloadable files. Trying to get the same retail price or even more for a version of a book or CD or video that they don't even have to print or make packaging for. It's a total rip off and it's why I never buy any media anymore that's not used and severely discounted. The media and publishing industries scream bloody murder about people illegally dl stuff online but I have no real sympathy for them when they routinely do stuff like this. I use the library ebooks or do Gutenberg Library online and avoid most dl's period.
02-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
For fiction reading I almost always buy at yard sales, used book stores or the public library surplus sale. I rarely pay more than 50 cents for a $10 paperback. I looked the readers but I read too much to pay those prices.
I've always done the same in years past, but finding used books locally now is almost impossible. All the used book stores have closed up a long time ago. I still have a nice supply of fiction I've saved over the years though.

I also used to use half.com years ago, but when I just checked on this certain book, it was only around $2 cheaper than buying it new on Amazon.

Times have really changed on me.
02-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Any time you set out to buy a particular book, a photography book or anything technical you might as well pack your wallet with money.

Does your local library have surplus sale? People donate all kinds of stuff and much of it they don't want. Ours has a gigantic book sale once a year in donated space and you can really score well there even photography books. Goodwill sometimes has them, it is a feast and famine situation there. We have a store about a mile from home so I try to drop in to look for lenses or books at least once a week. I have never found any Pentax there

02-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Any time you set out to buy a particular book, a photography book or anything technical you might as well pack your wallet with money.

Does your local library have surplus sale? People donate all kinds of stuff and much of it they don't want. Ours has a gigantic book sale once a year in donated space and you can really score well there even photography books. Goodwill sometimes has them, it is a feast and famine situation there. We have a store about a mile from home so I try to drop in to look for lenses or books at least once a week. I have never found any Pentax there
Our local library does have an annual sale, but I haven't attended in many years - I will have to keep any eye out for the next one. Goodwill is another good suggestion - we only get to town twice a month, but my wife likes to look through the store when we go - I usually just wait in the truck. I'll make a point of going in next time to see what they have.
02-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

One other thing I thought of since you mentioned going to town. There are a couple of sites doing book exchanges between members. I know nothing about them and even with book rate postage I have a hard time thinging it would work well.

I just hate to see a fellow reader book less.
02-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt:
I just hate to see a fellow reader book less.
Well thank you! It's kind of funny in a way, but for the past 10 years I've been kind of hoarding a lot of books mostly to have for retirement that would have been in another 7 years. Things suddenly changed, and I am reading them now. I have plenty to last me quite a while, but when I get interested in a specific non-fiction subject such as this, I want to read all I can. I'm not against buying new books once in a while for this purpose as I do get a lot of enjoyment from it. It just hit me kind of hard today when looking at the difference in prices I talked about in my original post. I will likely buy 2 of these books that I want - just deciding if I want to pay the extra $2.50 for the Kindle version just to help line someone's pockets.
02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just to add, there's no need to hoard! All the books you could ever want to read are available for you, at little or no cost to yourself.

Support your local library!
02-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Just to add, there's no need to hoard! All the books you could ever want to read are available for you, at little or no cost to yourself.

Support your local library!
Perhaps, but they keep wanting me to bring them back!
02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just remember that every book that amazon or b&n has in electronic form has to be stored electronically, ask Adam how much storage costs are these days. You buy a book once with these vendors and you can download them to as many devices as you have registered with no limit. You can download any book you have ever purchased without rebuying it. The system constantly keeps you current reading position on any book you are reading on any device and can update any copy on any device you have. There is the intellectual copyright that is owed to the author for royalty as well as the cost to the publishers to create the file. I just don't understand how people can be so defensive about a picture they take and at the same time expect to pay nothing for and authors work.
02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
Just remember that every book that amazon or b&n has in electronic form has to be stored electronically, ask Adam how much storage costs are these days. You buy a book once with these vendors and you can download them to as many devices as you have registered with no limit. You can download any book you have ever purchased without rebuying it. The system constantly keeps you current reading position on any book you are reading on any device and can update any copy on any device you have. There is the intellectual copyright that is owed to the author for royalty as well as the cost to the publishers to create the file. I just don't understand how people can be so defensive about a picture they take and at the same time expect to pay nothing for and authors work.
I've said nothing about paying nothing for an authors work. My whole point is the publishers getting more for the electronic version of a book than the hard copy.

And myself, I rarely read a book more than once. I guess I am old school in that I am used to buying a book, reading and enjoying it, then passing it on by giving/trading/selling it to someone else. It seems that part of this scheme is to also stop used book sales so anyone who wants to buy a book must buy new at the publishers list price.
02-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the basic Kindle from last year and it's fine for me. There are many free books available, but new books seem a little pricey for not really being a tangible thing. I think the Nook is pretty nice too.