Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shipping small item to Canada

I usually try to refrain from shipping items internationally because I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake, purchase the wrong service, the package will get lost, insurance won't reimburse me, etc... I know, I worry too much.

But better to ask for advice and be safe then sorry, right?

Okay, so if I plan to ship a tiny lens to Canada (package won't weight more than 1lb or so) and the package will be small. Value of $150.
How would you guys recommend shipping this through USPS, what services?

Thanks!

03-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
I usually try to refrain from shipping items internationally because I'm afraid that I'll make a mistake, purchase the wrong service, the package will get lost, insurance won't reimburse me, etc... I know, I worry too much.

Okay, so if I plan to ship a tiny lens to Canada (package won't weight more than 1lb or so) and the package will be small. Value of $150.

Thanks!
US mail works fine with insurance.
03-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
US mail works fine with insurance.
+1 After many packages shipped to CA via USPS, no problem here...
03-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I've never had any problems with packages coming via USPS to Canada.

03-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
I've never had any problems with packages coming via USPS to Canada.
Same here!
03-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Thanks!
UPS (United Parcel Service) and FedEx charge whopping customs brokerage fees (e.g., see http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html) to calculate the GST when shipping from the U.S. to Canada. In contrast, Canada Post does not charge a brokerage fee (they charge only the GST), so USPS (U.S. Postal Service) is the preferred method.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 03-01-2013 at 11:33 AM.
03-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay thanks, but when dealing with insurance all I see (online) is Registered Mail and Certificate of Mailing. And from my understanding, Registered Mail reimbursement is only up to $47 and Certificate of Mailing isn't insurance.

If I went to the USPS post office and asked to ship it with insurance to Canada, could I purchase it there, because I'm not seeing an option for full insurance coverage online? (I'm looking at First Class International and Priority Mail International).

03-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
USPS is the way to go. The courier companies charge a brokerage fee which is a total rip-off. I've bought plenty of stuff from the US and never had a problem. As the shipper, you'll have to fill out a customs form at the post office. Shouldn't be too onerous.
03-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I went to the USPS post office and asked to ship it with insurance to Canada, could I purchase it there, because I'm not seeing an option for full insurance coverage online? (I'm looking at First Class International and Priority Mail International).
I have always found it best to go the post office and ask about different options. Much easier than trying to decipher their web page.
03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
UPS (United Parcel Service) and FedEx charge whopping customs brokerage fees (e.g., see B&H website) to calculate the GST when shipping from the U.S. to Canada. In contrast, Canada Post does not charge a brokerage fee (they charge only the GST), so USPS (U.S. Postal Service) is the preferred method.
B&H seems to have added Purolator for shipping to Canada, which drastically cuts the cost compared with UPS and FedEx.
03-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Might be slightly off topic ... but as an additional info, apparently when you track your package via FedEx and UPS, every time you check it on their website, a small cost is added to the final fee you need to pay when picking up or receiving the package.
Heard that from a couple of friends that were a little ticked off by it ... not from personal knowledge.
03-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a lot of stuff posted from the USA to Australia. Never had a problem with the USPS. Heck, I even posted four shock absorbers for my 4WD back from SFO so that I wouldn't have to have them in my bags. They arrived back here before I did.

I ask for First Class Priority as it's not that expensive.
03-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Okay thanks, but when dealing with insurance all I see (online) is Registered Mail and Certificate of Mailing. And from my understanding, Registered Mail reimbursement is only up to $47 and Certificate of Mailing isn't insurance.

Yes, you can purchase insurance for a package to Canada at the post office. The reason is that for international shipments, if insured, the package must be presented in person to a clerk.

Up until a short time ago, you had to present any package going to Canada in person for the customs form, but they seemed to relax that lately as you can do the customs form on-line.

My suggestion would be to just bring the package to the post office and they will help you with the customs form and with purchasing insurance. You can buy insurance for the package using Priority International.
03-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #14

Add my vote to USPS. I get stuff shipped from the US (both stuff I've bought on line and the odd gift or two from family in the US) quite frequently and have not had a problem... as others have mentioned, the courier companies often add "brokerage" fees that can be quite steep.

Last edited by CP140; 03-01-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Correct spelling mistrake
03-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another vote for USPS. Since I have never taken insurance on my purchases from US vendors, I can't advise on that. But I've had very good service with USPS and Canada Post - reasonably quick delivery on small-ish parcels and packages, direct delivery to my local neighborhood mailbox, and no brokerage fees or customs duties.