Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
If you like black/gold and don't like scratches, you could consider a ceramic RADO.
Thanks - I'll look into these

03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Docwrm: is that orange monster bead blasted?
'
Yup! It's different but I like it.
Here's a shot next to my Black (stock) monster. I had them leave the medallion in the center bright and the rest BB'd. Nice contrast IMHO.

It's a fun watch that can take a beating.

Sorry for the poor photos, these are all from 3+ years ago when I was actively collecting watches. Nothing was done with a dSLR.
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

Sorry for the poor photos, these are all from 3+ years ago when I was actively collecting watches. Nothing was done with a dSLR.
Good photos from first post to last. We're not blowing stuff to 50% here and I like the reflections.
03-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Isn't that using the Seagull tourbillon movement?
They claim to use the Sea-Gull movement. Well noted! Mine doesn't have their lifetime guarantee either.

Mine predates the Montiek Dutch company by more than 5 years, but is very similar. I bought mine from perhaps HK's premier dealer of old parts and watches. He has horological links everywhere and this was the first China tourbillon available in 2005 when I bought it.

I like mine more because they mis-spelt Tourbillon as "Toubrillon" on the dial! Love it.

03-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just, by coincidence, got an ad from a small but reputable US company that specializes in selling Japanese watches that they have a few Orange Monsters left (and the price is good at $177)
I purchased several watches from them in years gone by and the owner is very responsive.

Seiko SKX781K1 Orange Monster Watch
03-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The original monster is definitely the best IMO. Amazon UK was selling them for 124 GBP last I looked, would have picked one up if I didn't already own it! Have the bracelet as well as a couple of nato straps for it (orange and orange/black).

Need to pop the bezel off since it is a bit tight to turn, just gotta pick up some silicone lube first.

Anyone know where I can get 15.5-16mm blue sweep second hands? My custom 2824-2 build will have a silver dial with black markings, black hour/minute hands, and ideally a blue second hand (inspired by the oh so beautiful Grand Seiko snowflake).
03-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #37
Veteran Member

So I have a St. Moritz Momentum InnersSpace automatic 300M/990FT depth rated, sapphire crystal and display back showing off a stunning 25 jewel decorated Swiss automatic movement. It's a watch maker here in Vancouver and I love their watches, I also have a Square One, looks like a Panerai, and a Baume Mercier as well. I liked collecting watches before I started collecting lenses

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #38
Veteran Member

'
Yup! It's different but I like it.
Here's a shot next to my Black (stock) monster. I had them leave the medallion in the center bright and the rest BB'd. Nice contrast IMHO.

It's a fun watch that can take a beating.

I've always liked the Seiko Orange Monster
03-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I own a few Seikos myself, including an Orange Monster. They've changed the Monster in this past year and have discontinued the original model.

Doc you have quite the collection here I like the watch holder case.
03-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Doc you have quite the collection here I like the watch holder case.
Thanks. But these

are just the Seikos. I have more European brand watches. My favorite is the Sinn at the head of this thread but I also have 3 Midos and a Fortis that I am rather fond of. My oldest watch is a 1953 Bulova 23 Calendar that is fully functional.
03-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
Pentaxian

interesting thread....I don't wear a watch. They seem to stop when I wear them. Tried a variety of brands...last was Rolex...dardest thing, and just like the cheapo timex I wore as a kid: stops dead on my wrist within a few hours...take it off and lay it on the bureau and it runs fine....makes no sense to me and thus I gave up.

Lots of sharp watches here though....
03-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
interesting thread....I don't wear a watch. They seem to stop when I wear them. Tried a variety of brands...last was Rolex...dardest thing, and just like the cheapo timex I wore as a kid: stops dead on my wrist within a few hours...take it off and lay it on the bureau and it runs fine....makes no sense to me and thus I gave up.

Lots of sharp watches here though....
Interesting, biomagnetic field but be strong. There is a new Omega that is immune to magnetic fields up to the strength of an operating MRI. Perhaps it would be a good choice for you?
03-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Thanks. But these

are just the Seikos. I have more European brand watches. My favorite is the Sinn at the head of this thread but I also have 3 Midos and a Fortis that I am rather fond of. My oldest watch is a 1953 Bulova 23 Calendar that is fully functional.
Nice collection you certainly have Doc! I do like the Sinn as well as the Lancaster.

The common thread I see among Pentaxian's watches are that they are not necessarily mainstream, beautiful in their own right, and very functional.
03-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mechanical cameras and mechanical watches have a delightful commonality. Here is a group shot of some. All in working order, except the acutron on the right. Also a few extras.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-P73  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-P73  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DSC-P73  Photo 
03-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
My three wristwatches currently.