Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
krp
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are some confirmed shots of Panstarrs tonight from the northern hemisphere on Spaceweather

03-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm going to stake out a spot across the river from here with a pretty commanding western view. unfortunately, I'll not only be combating twilight glare, but also light pollution as the town lights up for the evening.

I shot this late last March, so things should be fairly similar for me tonight. My big issue is I had to call in help, since I'll need to be dragging my young children along. I'm hoping to let them burn off energy for a half hour or so prior to the sunset, then spend the next half hour or hour seeing if I can get some shots in of the comet. I'll be working nights the next three days, then have the kids on my own the next 4, so I won't get another chance before it starts fading away too badly. Also, the weather's been horrible for the past month, last night was literally the first night I could get out with clouds not being overhead.

Taking the Sigma 10-20mm for the wide landscape view before the sunset, and of it, and the M-50mm f/1.4, M-200 f/4, and Sears 75-260 f/4.5 (constant aperture! Woot!) for hopeful comet shots. I'm not sure what else to bring along. I DO have the 910mm scope, but dragging it from here to there would be an especially huge PITA.

03-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
krp
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm going to stake out a spot across the river from here with a pretty commanding western view. unfortunately, I'll not only be combating twilight glare, but also light pollution as the town lights up for the evening.

I shot this late last March, so things should be fairly similar for me tonight. My big issue is I had to call in help, since I'll need to be dragging my young children along. I'm hoping to let them burn off energy for a half hour or so prior to the sunset, then spend the next half hour or hour seeing if I can get some shots in of the comet. I'll be working nights the next three days, then have the kids on my own the next 4, so I won't get another chance before it starts fading away too badly. Also, the weather's been horrible for the past month, last night was literally the first night I could get out with clouds not being overhead.

Taking the Sigma 10-20mm for the wide landscape view before the sunset, and of it, and the M-50mm f/1.4, M-200 f/4, and Sears 75-260 f/4.5 (constant aperture! Woot!) for hopeful comet shots. I'm not sure what else to bring along. I DO have the 910mm scope, but dragging it from here to there would be an especially huge PITA.

Bringing binoculars would help if you have some. Good luck, the weather won't let me see the comet until Tuesday or Wednesday.
03-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like I'm stuck with nasty weather till Friday

03-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Clouds waited until just before sunset and then rolled in. Tonight was a wash except for getting some scenery shots. :-/
03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like no chance here tonight. It doesn't look too bad for a little later this week, though. Which is when, I think, I've got the best chance of a vantage right here at my house, though.
03-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian

The last clear night we had was Saturday. I spent a couple of hours from sunset until dark with no luck on a view. I had as unobstructed view to the west as can be had around here, the East shore of Saratoga Lake. I suppose I could head further east towards Vermont and get on some high ground with a clear view across the valley. The other alternative will be a certain clear view and that's the shore of Lake Ontario, a three hour drive across the Adirondacks to the west and hope it's clear when I get there. I'm on vacation this week so I have the time. It's cloudy tonight and rain for tomorrow. Maybe Wed.

03-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm on vacation this week so I have the time. It's cloudy tonight and rain for tomorrow. Maybe Wed.
The best chance is Friday...Weather Channel is calling for partly cloudy skies on Tuesday night as well.
03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just checked--there is no sky tonight.
03-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #25

Even though it was very clear last night and I have a clean view to the west right down to the Pacific ocean, I was not able to see it.
03-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got it, not fantastic but a comet never the less. Must be getting old because I never saw it with naked eye.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #27

Watched tonight from Lake Whitney State Park in Texas - nothing! But it was a lovely night to be outside.
03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Got it,
Well done!
03-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Well done!
Thank you sir, most of the credit goes to the gear in use.
03-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #30

Clear weather here in utah. I lokked last night but didn't see any thing but a sliver moon. They say tonight is the best chance here we will see it. i am going out away from the city to see if i can get a good pic of it.