03-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another one "Kilroy was here".
Google it to get the story. Kilroy is/was a real person..........Cliff

03-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tareyton cigarette slogan "I'd rathr fight than switch". I think it was Tareyton. I know the last Halloween I went trick or treating, it was a last minute thing, and I had no costume. That commercial came on TV and that's what I went with-with my moms' mascara making my black eye. LOL! As for TV-remember when the remote control was you or a sibling walking over to the TV and changing the channel?
03-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I'm a decade or two younger then the rest of the crowd here, so for me its things like Jolt Cola, CB radios, and payphones.

I had to explain to some of the teens at work that a wise investment is to buy a cheap corded landline phone for when the power goes out just in case the cell phones die as well. They were wondering why until I told them that they're generally the last things to go out even in a power outage and could wind up saving their necks some day if they needed to communicate with the outside world and couldn't charge their cell phone.
03-12-2013, 03:40 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm a decade or two younger then the rest of the crowd here, so for me its things like Jolt Cola, CB radios, and payphones.

I had to explain to some of the teens at work that a wise investment is to buy a cheap corded landline phone for when the power goes out just in case the cell phones die as well. They were wondering why until I told them that they're generally the last things to go out even in a power outage and could wind up saving their necks some day if they needed to communicate with the outside world and couldn't charge their cell phone.
This reminded me of all the regional phone companies - before and after the AT&T breakup. Locally we had Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone of Maryland which became Bell Atlantic and is now Verizon.

And yes, we keep a land line for the exact reason Sagitta points out.

03-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote

Solar chargers - chemical reaction chargers - good old hand crank chargers, these are just a few of the things that make me not need to rely on a land line any more.
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of Old Milwaukee...

It just doesn't get any better than this...
03-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #52
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It just doesn't get any better than this...
Looks like a 4 day weekend ahead.

03-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
This reminded me of all the regional phone companies - before and after the AT&T breakup. Locally we had Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone of Maryland which became Bell Atlantic and is now Verizon.

And yes, we keep a land line for the exact reason Sagitta points out.

It's something I'd have if I could afford the extra bill, myself.
03-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's something I'd have if I could afford the extra bill, myself.
I was able to get a pretty low monthly bill by eliminately long distance service and getting just the basics. IIRC, eliminate long distance almost cut the bill in half. YMMV.
03-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When we moved into our new place the Verizon rep told me my only option was their Internet phone service.
I miss the security of my POTS line.

Chris
03-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When we moved into our new place the Verizon rep told me my only option was their Internet phone service.
I miss the security of my POTS line.

Chris
I'm in the boonies (practically) and not sure if Verizon even has internet phone serveice here. Sorry, what's POTS?
03-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Sorry, what's POTS?
Plain Old Telephone Service
03-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hard to imagine now, but my Mom was once an operator in a small town where they had those switchboards. I recall my great granny had a crank phone on the wall.......times have changed!
Regards!
03-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hard to imagine now, but my Mom was once an operator in a small town where they had those switchboards. I recall my great granny had a crank phone on the wall.......times have changed!
Regards!
My Great Grandparents had the only phone in the neighborhood. People would come from the other farms to make calls, until my GG put out a toll box...
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just wondering? ......Does anyone recall those little small round boxes of Spanish peanuts that contained money in with the peanuts? They were a nickel a box when I was a little guy...and often had as much as a quarter or a dollar bill in them. That was a big prize back then!
My cousin claimed he found a $20 bill in one, but it coincided with his sisters loss of her little snap-lock coin purse.....with $20 in it......so I was always skeptical!

Regards!