Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Faulty update from Microsoft

I've spent the past couple of days getting aggravated over my anti virus giving me a license not valid message. Since I had recently renewed, I was not happy and the customer service people at Kapersky have their ears ringing. Well, it seems Microsoft Update is the culprit. It's causing problems with other software also and in some cases, the BSOD. Here's the article I found today with a link to the Microsoft bulletin. I figured I would post this just in case another Forum member is going through this.
Microsoft tells Windows 7 users to uninstall faulty security update (Updated) | Ars Technica

04-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, I thought the faulty update was going to be Windows 8.

*drum_punchline.mp3*
04-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Oh, I thought the faulty update was going to be Windows 8.

*drum_punchline.mp3*
That's another subject. Since most folk define faulty as something that doesn't work as intended, the security update qualifies. Since Win 8 is working just as Microsoft intended, it isn't faulty.
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

As you guys are talking about Microsoft updates, I wonder if this is the right place to ask a question. I have a Dell Vostro 400 desktop (about 4 years old), with a DVD ROM and a DVD burner, and running Windows 7. Just recently I noticed that when I click on the My Computer, neither of the DVD drives appear. They will actually operate (spinning), but they won't access any data on a dvd. The drives do appear in the Device Manager tab, and there is a yellow exclamation point on both drives. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drives at least 1/2 dozen times, but to no avail. When I try to reinstall, I get the following message: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registery) is incomplete or damaged (Code 19)." I know how to access the registery, but I also know not to touch it if you don't know what you are doing -- and I don't.

In trying to find a solution to the problem, I did find a statement on the Dell Support section to the effect that a recent Windows Security update could cause registery problems, but the actual update wasn't mentioned and I haven't been able to find out which one it was. I gues my main question is, how would I go about finding out how to correct the registery? Is any of this making sense? I appreciate any information you could provide.

04-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Microsoft instructions only mention Kapersky AV users and banking customers in Brazil. Here's the link to the Microsoft bulletin.
You receive an Event ID 55 or a 0xc000021a Stop error in Windows 7 after you install security update 2823324
One of their options is using a system restore which may help you out it this isn't due to a hardware failure. Back up everything first. I try to avoid registry tinkering also but everything in the registry is well documented. Dell should be able to give you the proper value to enter at the registry location(s) causing the issue. You might want to browse some of the Microsoft user forums. I found some good help there in the past.
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks, reeftool. I'm also a Kaspersky user and have been for about 8 years. I usually get the 3 computer package as I have the desktop + laptop, and my son has a laptop.
04-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Somehow, the use of "Microsoft" and "faulty" in the same sentence seems redundant.

04-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

worked for me

I just had the same problem a few days ago and rectified the problem using a MR. FIX-IT program from Microsoft.

Here's the link, Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Hope it works for you.
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
I just had the same problem a few days ago and rectified the problem using a MR. FIX-IT program from Microsoft.

Here's the link, Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Hope it works for you.
Ran this 3 times in the past couple of days (hoping for something new each time), and it failed to recognize my CD drives at all. I might be at the point of removing/replacing them. I've physically installed CD drives before, but I really don't like tinkering with a PC. Interesting thing is, I talked to one of the Geek Squad at Best Buy this past Sunday when I was looking for a HDMI cable. He said that I should just forget about the ones that are already installed and use external CD drives. As we were looking at external USD drives I mentioned to him that it stated on the package that I had to insert the cd with the drivers in order for my computer to recognize the drive. I pointed out that if my "current" CD drives would allow me to do that, then I would not be looking for a new CD drive. He commented...Yeah, guess you are right. DOH!!
04-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You should be able to download the drivers. Most of the time, the drivers you get on the CD are outdated anyhow.
04-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thinking about it, Windows should recognize a USB CD drive without any drivers. You can set up a USB drive to boot and install Windows if need be just by going into your BIOS and allowing it.
04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #12

Please go this link The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that is running Windows Vista and follow the instructions under "Resolution". Pay careful attention to the warning note, it is important to apply this solution to the appropriate instance, otherwise it won't work.

The process should work on Windows 7 although the title lists only Vista. Post back your results, it can help others facing this same problem. Good luck.
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
Please go this link The CD drive or the DVD drive does not work as expected on a computer that is running Windows Vista and follow the instructions under "Resolution". Pay careful attention to the warning note, it is important to apply this solution to the appropriate instance, otherwise it won't work.

The process should work on Windows 7 although the title lists only Vista. Post back your results, it can help others facing this same problem. Good luck.
There is a link to Windows 7 instructions in that bulletin. It basicly instructs you to uninstall the CD driver, restart WIndows and have Windows find and install a new driver. You can also put the Windows CD in the drive and restart. It should boot the CD and you can run the "fix" option. It the CD drive won't run the boot disk, then the problem isn't with WIndows.
04-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #14

Actually it is not the device driver that causes the problem. The problem is mostly caused by (third party) filter drivers. The filter drivers are installed by third party software like iTunes, Nero etc. They serve as low level hooks in to the device to alert the application to intercept the device calls to provide specialized services. Recommended fix is by removing these filter drivers.

Edit: here is a link that explains it http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/How-to-fix-CD-DVD-ROM-issues-i...ws-2000-and-XP

Last edited by debmalya; 04-17-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Added link
04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
You should be able to download the drivers. Most of the time, the drivers you get on the CD are outdated anyhow.
When I run a search on updating the drivers, it tells me that the currently installed drivers are the latest available. I have also gone to the Dell site and downloaded the drivers again, but they are the same as what is currently installed.

When I get time tonight, or possibly tomorrow, I will work through all of the other replies. Thanks to everyone for their help so far.