Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #106
Veteran Member

NPR is not really a "breaking news" kind of service. They have done some really good pieces and they have some really good reporters. They have also done some bad work and have a couple of not so good reporters. They have a couple who do a good job of keeping to the facts and not editorializing.... and one who is just awful about editorializing and leading the story.

BBC use to be really good and they still produce some good pieces.

American Media is a mixed bag.
The State of the News Media 2013

Attached Images

04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I can tell you a degree of certainty that some of the campuses in Florida to have select fire AR or similar platform in some of the patrol cars. But what do I know, I have only lived on college and university campuses my entire adult life (going on 31 years). That officer may not have had one. However, he did have a side arm and spare magazines. He would have definitely had a shotgun or carbine possibly both.
What Florida does really isn't indicative of what MIT may do: certainly it's unlikely they'd have fully-automatic assault rifles in their squad cars. Foremost, they're just not a good choice for the campus. It's not something that an urban police force of any kind puts in the hands of average patrol officers. In these times, something capable of short bursts might not be out of the question, but if you'd ever seen the campus, you'd understand why they don't want a ton of high-velocity rounds bouncing around or flying off in all directions. Especially not when they're right between two major city police departments with their ERU/SWAT guys. Anyway, it seems clear they had lost of stuff already, and no one's anounced where they got *that.*
04-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #108
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
What Florida does really isn't indicative of what MIT may do: certainly it's unlikely they'd have fully-automatic assault rifles in their squad cars. Foremost, they're just not a good choice for the campus. It's not something that an urban police force of any kind puts in the hands of average patrol officers. In these times, something capable of short bursts might not be out of the question, but if you'd ever seen the campus, you'd understand why they don't want a ton of high-velocity rounds bouncing around or flying off in all directions. Especially not when they're right between two major city police departments with their ERU/SWAT guys. Anyway, it seems clear they had lost of stuff already, and no one's anounced where they got *that.*
Look, just because they have select fire doesn't mean that they have to be used that way nor do carbines have to be select fire. Furthermore, what do you think 99% of the police were using door to door? .223/5.56 is what most of them were. I hate to break it to you, but campus police are usually the first on the scene on University campuses when things go down hill. Plus, you are making assumptions about the training of the deceased officer. In many departments, response teams are in fact made up of rank and file officers. They haven't announced anything about firearms yet and the report about how much ammo was a joke. They had the explosives but it appears that the majority of what they had was at the street. As far as the "if you had ever seen a campus comment" I am on a campus now. Regardless of where they got firearms and explosives, they did so illegally.
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #109
Site Supporter

I think this thread has ran its course for now without veering into the P & R territory.

04-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #110
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Agreed.
Closed Thread