Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are still plenty of good people out there, let's not forget it. Recalling those old days here on P&R, even my worst enemies were still good people with different opinions, they weren't cold blooded killers, and neither are most around us in our daily lives. We need to keep some perspective, good people still abound in America, and other places too.

Regards!

04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Well, one thing I can say is I'm proud of the people of Boston for how they handled this atrocity.

Seems as far as anyone I've called knows, no one I know was hurt. Funny how so many of the faces from the news footage seem familiar. Despite how long it's been since I was home.
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Another example of the tragedy that a tiny minority of humanity can inflict on the rest of us in the name of their cause (whatever it is). It makes me proud, though, to see all the people rushing to help others, or shielding children with their own bodies, or just comforting the innocent victims.

And I'm totally in agreement with Mike - the difference between a terrorist and someone seeking justice is the choice of who they go after. This was NOT justice-seeking. Someday they will find out who did this, and THEY will get justice.

In the meantime, my thoughts go out to those who were killed and wounded and to their families and friends.

Jim
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #34
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I just posted this on a similar thread on this forum, but perhaps it would be more appropriate here.

"News just to shocking to fully comprehend, my thoughts and prayers, are for those folk with lives that are caught up in this tragic event."

04-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Onion is already all over the Post...

This Is A Tragedy?Does It Really Matter Exactly How Many People Died Or What Any Of The Details Are? | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
04-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Only in America.................
Right, because nothing bad happens elsewhere.

Remember the 2005 London bombings?
The theater hostage crisis in Moscow?
The Madrid bombs?
The 23 kids stabbed in an attack in China a few months back?
Hell, we even had a suicide bomber here in Sweden not long ago.

Grow up, the world is a rough place, not just in America.
04-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I share your sentiments about how tragic this is, and especially as a combat engineer whose job it was to hunt these IED's (Improvised Explosive Devices) in Afghanistan, I'm shocked that my niche may find employment on U.S. soil.

What I find not just appalling but absolutely irresponsible (aside from the aforementioned NY Post false information publication) is the information being distributed about the construction of these IED's. From CNN in the first article I went to in order to emphasize my point:

QuoteQuote:
The two bombs, which went off within 12 seconds of each other, killed three people and wounded 183. One was housed in a pressure cooker hidden inside a backpack, the FBI said in a Joint Intelligence Bulletin. The device also had fragments that may have included nails, BBs, and ball bearings, the agency said.
QuoteQuote:
The second bomb was also housed in a metal container, but there's not enough evidence to determine whether it was also in a pressure cooker, the agency said.
The U.S. government has warned federal agencies in the past that pressure cookers -- airtight pots used to quickly cook or preserve foods -- have been packed with explosives and shrapnel and detonated with blasting caps.
QuoteQuote:
The pieces recovered so far suggest the devices could carry 6 liters (1.5 gallons) each, a Boston law enforcement source said. The parts found also include a partial circuit board, which would be used to detonate a device.
QuoteQuote:
A law enforcement official said Monday's bombs were likely detonated by timers.
Excuse my language, but what IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
("you" of course being the article authors, but more importantly their editors, for complete lack of journalistic responsbility and integrity)

My friend's facebook post sums it up I think, and he has never experienced a day of military anything:

There's way too many articles right now describing in detail how pressure cooker bombs are made. Not cool newspeople. Not cool.

-Heie

Edit to Add: I just came across this and felt it was applicable. Poignant, but applicable:

QuoteQuote:
"We understand what just happened in the streets of America all too well. This is the reality here, we are deeply sorry that now you have to feel the same pain that we do. It shouldn’t be your pain or ours. You’re in our prayers."
-- Some random guy in Iraq.

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-17-2013 at 04:52 AM. Reason: masked expletive deleted...
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
2:30pm EST - CNN says an arrest has been made.
04-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Guess CNN was wrong (maybe they get their news from the NY Times), no arrest has been made.
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Guess CNN was wrong (maybe they get their news from the NY Times), no arrest has been made.
The story in one of the newspapers I was reading this afternoon was all about how the stories coming out of the other papers were varying wildly.
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
CNN should run a disclaimer before all of its broadcasts:

"Any similarity between this report and actual events is purely coincidental"
04-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

I take any news with a grain of salt, especially when it's clear they are speculating, but in this case, they were not only reporting it, but quoting law enforcement sources, so I figured it was true. Or perhaps I should say I was hoping it was true.
04-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

CNN All media should run a disclaimer before all broadcasts:

Fixed it.

(CNN should put theirs in bold underlined.)
04-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #44
Veteran Member

For-profit media, Jim.
04-17-2013, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Fixed it.

(CNN should put theirs in bold underlined.)
This is exactly why I recommend FAUX News, where you know they are dedicated to the absolute unbiased and impartial truth.

Regards!
Closed Thread