Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What do you do if you can't straighten the nail in the bright sunshine with just the head?
Hmmm, good point. You mean that if I'm building a fence and bend a nail on one of the vertical supports, I won't be able to fix it in-post?

04-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
so I need my hammer maker to make me a full frame hammer!
No problem, see the post above:
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I understand that the large Canadian automotive/hardware retailer will be announcing a major new full-framing hammer sometime in the next several months.
04-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #33

As a keen photographer, forum reader and recent major renovator/house extender that blog seriously cheered up my whole day! Awesome - so well written and just oh so close to the truth!
04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #34
Pentaxian

If I had a hammer.....sorry, I couldn't resist.

04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #35
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
His only fault is that he thinks the behavior is limited to photography forums. There are watch forums that make this place look like Ms. Manner's School for Little Girls when it comes to personal attacks, vigorous positioning and posturing, etc.
You should visit a truck driver's forum I used to hang out at.

Talk about personal attacks, vigorous positioning and posturing. Some of the people there wrote the book on that stuff. One mistyped word and the flame war was on. Drama piled upon drama, name calling, cat fighting, lots of chest pounding and foot stomping.

Sometimes I thought the members there were a bunch of eighth grade whiners. Some of them needed to tie kerosene rags around their ankles to keep the fire ants from crawling up their legs and biting their candy asses.

It got so bad I quit the place.

This place is tame by comparison, indeed it is refreshing to come here and interact with people who generally understand, even celebrate our differences.

I like it here.

Can I stay for a while?
04-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You should visit a truck driver's forum I used to hang out at.

Talk about personal attacks, vigorous positioning and posturing. Some of the people there wrote the book on that stuff. One mistyped word and the flame war was on. Drama piled upon drama, name calling, cat fighting, lots of chest pounding and foot stomping.

Sometimes I thought the members there were a bunch of eighth grade whiners. Some of them needed to tie kerosene rags around their ankles to keep the fire ants from crawling up their legs and biting their candy asses.

It got so bad I quit the place.

This place is tame by comparison, indeed it is refreshing to come here and interact with people who generally understand, even celebrate our differences.

I like it here.

Can I stay for a while?
I know what you mean, and yes pull up a chair and stay a while.
04-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #37
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Spartan, thanks for the reminder. Yes, I guess you're right, but the pros have years of experience. Maybe I'll just look instead for a claw-less hammer. Someone on the other forum mentioned that they use one and get good results.
You don't want a clawless hammer. You need a real hammer, one with a claw. What do you do if you can't straighten the nail in the bright sunshine with just the head? Hmmm? No, that is one of the biggest mistakes a hammer maker can possibly make - not including a claw.
Hey. A good carpenter doesn't need a claw on his hammer. He can drive every nail straight and true, and thereby never needs to pull nails.

A claw for a true professional is as useless as tits on a boar.

04-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Hey. A good carpenter doesn't need a claw on his hammer. He can drive every nail straight and true, and thereby never needs to pull nails.

A claw for a true professional is as useless as tits on a boar.
So, what you are saying is that its the carpenter and not their equipment. Perhaps that is true for professional carpenters but prosumers will bend a nail here and there and without a claw they are not going to get the best out of their hammer. Plus, the claw balances the hammer to make your strikes more precise - it's necessary to the full use of the hammer when making things like a frame.
04-17-2013, 06:10 PM   #39
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Someone should make it a fill in the blank template, with the OP required to fill in all the blanks when he posts the first post in a thread. WIth that out of the way, maybe people would get down to the real business of the forum, which I suspect is getting to beer hour.
Beer. Is there anything it can't do?

04-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #40
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I know what you mean, and yes pull up a chair and stay a while.
Alright!

Let me buy you a beer!

So, what you are saying is that its the carpenter and not their equipment. Perhaps that is true for professional carpenters but prosumers will bend a nail here and there and without a claw they are not going to get the best out of their hammer. Plus, the claw balances the hammer to make your strikes more precise - it's necessary to the full use of the hammer when making things like a frame.

A bunch of guys I went to high school with went into carpentry right out of school. I would work with them on the weekends. They taught me how to set a 16 penny framing nail with a 2lb framing hammer with two hits. One tap to set the nail and then *BAM!*, to sink it, and then on to the next nail.

Once I got the hang of it and developed a rhythm I got pretty good at it.

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Before I knew it lunchtime had come, and then it was time for beer.

I miss those days.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 04-17-2013 at 06:55 PM.
04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Alright!

Let me buy you a beer!

A bunch of guys I went to high school with went into carpentry right out of school. I would work with them on the weekends. They taught me how to set a 16 penny framing nail with a 2lb framing hammer with two hits. One tap to set the nail and then *BAM!*, to sink it, and then on to the next nail.

Once I got the hang of it and developed a rhythm I get pretty good at it.

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Tap.

*BAM!*

Before I knew it lunchtime had come, and then it was time for beer.

I miss those days.
In the hands of a professional any hammer will do. I agree. When the carpenter talks about his tools failing him, he's not a true carpenter.
04-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #42
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

In the hands of a professional any hammer will do. I agree. When the carpenter talks about his tools failing him, he's not a true carpenter.
Indeed!
04-17-2013, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Of course it does remind me of a story... back i my life as a cabinet maker, I was nailing some bases together for some kitchen type cabinets, it was a bit of a rush so the "boss" came out to help me. At one point I hit my thumb instead of the nail. As I danced about hopping up and down, the boss looked up at me dryly , and said " I don't pay you to hammer your thumb, I pay you to hammer the nails."
04-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Speaking of the right tool for the job, how about this for a wide angle lens?

04-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sears hammers

Rich hobbyists that overpay for limited 77 mm hammers make me sick.You can go out on eBay and get a perfectly good Sears 50 mm hammer for around $10 and get fantastic results.