Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Just Want to Whine.....

For three days and nights I have been fighting this bug......without much success. Nose running like an open faucet, hacking cough, throat so sore I can barely swallow, teeth all hurt, eyes hurt, head hurts, and my equilibrium is worse than after a night of hard drinking (years ago!).
Everything irritates me, and everyone. Mrs Rupert called four times yesterday from work to see if I was OK and finally I told her, "you call one more time and I am ripping the phone out of the wall." Food tastes like crapola, nothing on TV is worth watching (it wasn't before either ) and trying to be nice on these Forums is a real test of my self control. How I would love to be back on P&R today!

On top of that, I am pretty sure I am going to die from this crud...I am very rarely sick with anything, but do recall the last time I had such crap, and was certain I was going to die from it then. Is that a common thing, to think you will die from your crud? How many of you have actually died from it?

Anyhow, I am not used to being controlled by anyone or anything to this degree, and it really does piss me. How about you? What are your reactions to the crud? How do you handle it...assuming you lived to tell the tale? Does your wife or GF hate you when it is all over? Do your enemies hope you die? How do you get past this crud without permanent damage?

Regards!

Last edited by Tom S.; 04-27-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Removed profane language
04-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I went through that exact thing about 6 weeks ago after visiting my inlaws in Kansas. You haven't been visiting my inlaws, have you?

Same symptoms. It took several days for the bulk of them to remit, and about a month for the last of them to disappear. Well, actually, some of the symptoms I sill have. I don't think I'll ever get over the "Everything irritates me, and everyone." part.

Last edited by Parallax; 04-27-2013 at 09:39 AM.
04-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now that's the kind of encouragement I'm talkin' 'bout! So I can look forward to a lifetime (which may be short?) of this crap lingering on? At least you can blame your in-laws, which is of some comfort. I am suspicious of those damn squirrels, but have no real proof...yet.
Mrs Rupert is very sympathetic, she was reviewing my will and insurance this morning, and advised that "it won't be too bad" if you don't make it.
Meanwhile, I am wondering if those chunks you cough up really are parts of your lungs? Anyone got an answer?
Regards!
04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I feel for you Rupert, but I'm sure mrs Rupert have told you already to slow it down...Funny how the mind tells you one thing, but with age, the body tells you a different story. Take a good rest and look after yourself, just think what the squirrels would do if you don't get well��

04-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I've got a similar bug. Sinus infection I think. Been taking lots of cold meds. Mucinex D is the only thing that seems to work. SInce I can't walk yet after foot surgery a month ago and still have another 3 weeks trapped at home and hopping on crutches, I'm probably just as squirrely. Cheer up Rupert, it will pass. Unless you've been bitten and are turning into a weresquirrel.
04-27-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
For three days and nights I have been fighting this bug......without much success. Nose running like an open faucet, hacking cough, throat so sore I can barely swallow, teeth all hurt, eyes hurt, head hurts, and my equilibrium is worse than after a night of hard drinking (years ago!).
Everything irritates me, and everyone. Mrs Rupert called four times yesterday from work to see if I was OK and finally I told her, "you call one more time and I am ripping the phone out of the wall." Food tastes like crapola, nothing on TV is worth watching (it wasn't before either ) and trying to be nice on these Forums is a real test of my self control. How I would love to be back on P&R today!
Shhh. Rupert. I know you're not used to it, but you're not feeling well. There are things about that. Including feeling depressed about it.

Your 'Ear-nose-and-throat' are inflamed by some combination of a bug and allergies. It may be a bacterial infection that got into your ear canal. Do you remember 'Afrin?' A nasal spray will help with the balance part. Just clean the nozzle before you put it away. Antihistamines also will help.

Much of this is pretty routine for RML. I catch *everything,* Usually not for too long: I have kind of this turbo immune system that tends to be otherwise occupied screaming 'Where's the cortisol!' and possibly overreacting when too much sunlight or joint abrasion damages anything. (Sometimes catching a cold is a *relief* for me. )

Anyway. Take it easy. You have a bit of a bug and from the weather patterns, some allergenic backlash from a funky weather pattern right now. You could look it up. You've also finally gotten some rain after extreme drought, and this could mean *mold spores* that you aren't accustomed to.

Drink warm water. Or tea with horehound in it, (Ricola cough drops contain this herb, those will help too) Warm compresses on your sinuses and over your ears. Some kind of cold medicine. If it persists, you may need antibiotics.

QuoteQuote:
On top of that, I am pretty sure I am going to die from this crud...I am very rarely sick with anything, but do recall the last time I had such crap, and was certain I was going to die from it then. Is that a common thing, to think you will die from your crud? How many of you have actually died from it?

That's anxiety talking. Breathe. You're not going to *die* cause of this right now. As you've said, you're just not used to feeling unwell. Breathe.

You know I *did* die of some stuff. (Technically, it was the wrong medicine, actually, not a headcold or even my chronic health problems)

You should not be especially afraid over that. If P&R were still here, I'd tell you you shouldn't worry about whose R in this regard, and as for the P, that won't help your ear canals. Relax. Go ahead and see a doctor. Cause you can. And you're that age. Be glad this is a new thing for you. If you are given antibiotics, take them all, even if you feel better. Basic stuff.

QuoteQuote:
Anyhow, I am not used to being controlled by anyone or anything to this degree, and it really does piss me. How about you? What are your reactions to the crud? How do you handle it...assuming you lived to tell the tale? Does your wife or GF hate you when it is all over? Do your enemies hope you die? How do you get past this crud without permanent damage?

Regards!

My sweetie has put up with more incapacity than Mrs. Rupert ever had to, by your own account. You speak highly of her. Don't start selling your lady short *now.*

As for the rest. Well. Some may say 'A conservative is a liberal who's been mugged,' I've said before: "A liberal is a conservative who's been sick."

Just take care of your body right now, and get a doctor to look at it.

I was expected to be dead at 25. (So happens this was the case. Got better.) I'm pushing 45, now. You've been driving around a lot further than I can. just this year. You're healthier than I am, as you've often said. Don't fear a cold/allergies. Just deal with it. Maybe trust someone else.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
04-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'm a firm believer in better living thru chemistry. (i.e., DRUGS).....see a Dr. Feel better sooner....

04-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Whine all you want - it helps the soul!

You have a flu or virus of some sort - go to the doctor and get an antibiotic - you'll be better in a week.

How about a debilitating disease that I will have for the rest of my life that has no cure? I whine - trust me - ask my wife!
04-27-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.
04-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope you get to feeling yourself soon.
04-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I am feeling somewhat better now. My fever broke this afternoon in a shower of sweat, and Mrs Rupert gave up on selling me the idea of euthanasia, although at one point it was tempting. Maybe it will be another several years before another bug attack, I certainly hope so. I don't do sick well at all, and was lucky Mrs Rupert didn't just go ahead and shoot me...she was damn close! Can I say damn?

Which reminds me, in my near delirious state earlier I headed my post with that highly obnoxious and filthy "B" word. I must have been partially out of my mind and am most grateful that some loving and caring Mod, knowing my condition and true nature, changed it for me. Thank you so much, I am forever grateful. If I ever get the chance to do some small favor for you, you know you can count on old Rupert! That is the sort of word you might hear on CNN, FAUX News, MSN, NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, any PG13 Movie, any print media or newspaper, Twitter or in most any public place in the world, but certainly not in such a refined place as we inhabit here. So my sincere apologies to anyone that has never heard or read such filth before, and I promise you won't hear it again from me!
Maybe I am not as well yet as I thought.......being sick sure can make a person irritable, can't it?

Best Regards & I do appreciate those that offered advice and condolences, it was appreciated!
04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Rupert, to paraphrase Clarence Darrow (sometimes credited to Mark Twain), I never wished anyone dead, but I have read a few obituaries with great pleasure.
04-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Rupert I'm glad you are now on the mend and the world looks to be a brighter place.

Sounds like you had a dose of " man flu" which is a evil bug that women , bless there little cotton socks , have managed ,through some quirk of evolution, to avid being susceptible to.

It will strike againe at some point and it ain't the squirrels fault , honest. Read this and try not to weep Man Flu Home
04-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.
Yep, in most cases, all you can do is treat the symptoms, not the cause.
04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My daughter had something like that for one day. I am just recovering. It has taken about two weeks. No drugs - just sleeping all day and night on the weekends. Same feeling that nothing tastes good.

Wife still has it after two weeks. My daughter's teacher is in the hospital right now.

My own theory is that pollen is mutating into something much more powerful than what it was. Plants are trying to adapt to global warming. Humans may never adapt on a physiological level.

And yes, whenever I get this kind of crud I think that I am going to die. Not very pleasant that's for sure. And yes, TV sucks unless there are some decent sports on, IMHO. I just start reading something until I fall back asleep.