Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP: opinion needed about speakers

I'm planning on buying a soundbar for our family room tv. budget is from $100-$600 (best bang for the buck/cheapest if possible). should be small, portable and shouldn't be cluttered by wires. if subwoofer or bass is included within the soundbar, the much better, since I try to minimize clutters as much as possible. voice should be crisp, clear and detailed and overall sound quality should be full dynamic and be able to distinct and hear between the smallest, tiniest sound detail alongside more louder or booming sound like for e.g. a tink of the glass or sounds that are normally least perceived. subwoofer or bass should not be overpowering but decent and enjoyable enough to feel the effects while watching the action. surround would be great. if 7.1 is possible to get at the cheapest price range, why not. my connection is thru TOSLINK. should be reliable and durable and easy to install.

my problem is I don't know which specific brand or model to choose from because there are a lot of them and so do opinions which makes my job even more difficult. I would like to seek the advice of our audio experts in the forum about which will produce the best sound without burning money or have to spend something more that can be bought for something less.

I also want to ask your opinion on Bose and why people seem to trash it around the net? I listened to some of the demo unit like the C1 SR and a sound dock , where I liked the soft and clear distinct detailed sound of it. I'm not sure what it is called since I'm not an audio unit expert but is it what you call a mid-range or mid tones? if something with such clarity and dynamic sound can be found on other brands for less money, I would love to hear your opinions on this.

so far, the brands which has been recommended are VIZIO, YAMAHA, Samsung, Panasonic, Philips,Sony, Precision. all seems to offer clarity but I can't tell which is better for the price. the most important thing that I'm looking for is dynamic sound clarity and distinction between sounds simultaneously.

04-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Leon Speakers :: Custom Built High-fidelity Home Theater Speakers

I don't know if these will meet your requirements, but whenever I work in conjunction with A/V consultants they frequently suggest them. I have seen and heard a few installations. They are nice. I would imagine that they out perform most of the brands that the big boxes sell.
04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi, I am no expert but I used to work ata a speaker factory that made units for cinemas and studio monitors. I have always enjoyed the sound of Yamaha amplifiers along with there speakers. Toshiba and Technics are also really good. For the sound quality you want to achieve I think there are no soundbars that will deliver.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
oice should be crisp, clear and detailed and overall sound quality should be full dynamic and be able to distinct and hear between the smallest, tiniest sound detail alongside more louder or booming sound like for e.g. a tink of the glass or sounds that are normally least perceived
To achieve this you need to move the bar to high power amplifiers. This does not mean you need to use loud volumes but having great power available will free you from unwanted distorsions and artifacts. Also, a separete channel for lows is mandatory. ie: a subwoofer. I think a 2.1 system will give you the greatest quality. As you can spend more money on a better two channel amp and an active subwoofer (has an independent amplifier) rather than spending a lot more on 5.2 or 7.1 amps.
the most important thing that I'm looking for is dynamic sound clarity
I dont know what you meant but I am sure this does not exist. Do not discard the fun in having the 5 or 7 channels. Apart from the above, most high end amps are really good now a days. The speakers are what makes the difference and that is where te money should go.

my 2 cents, hope it helps
04-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the price, Yamaha makes some very good speakers. I would stay away from the Sony consumer line. Samsung and Panasonic would be my next choice if you are on a budget.

High End Audio - High End Headphones - Speakers | Klipsch is another good option.

04-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have some Bose speakers on one of my computers and I can say that they have a pretty good sound. I think they get dissed mostly because they are expensive. To be completely honest, I have some difficulty hearing movie sound. I was running my DVD player and Blue Ray through the stereo system and I could not hear what any voices were saying. Even making adjustments on the graphic equalizer doesn't seem to work. Music sounds great but for movies, I prefer to use the TV speakers. Yeah, they are a little tinny but I can understand what people are saying without turning on captioning. It's my current opinion that speakers that work well for music may suck for watching movies.

I have seen the soundbars sold for the new HDTV's but I hesitate to make a purchase just based on previous bad experience. The stereo is a better Pioneer and while it is older, it has outputs for stereo video sound. Of course, some of the issues are likely due to my aging ears as even with my iPad, the speaker sounds great but I can't hear voices when I use headphones very well. The headphones aren't cheap ones either.
04-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might have a look at Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components They have a wide range of speakers and speaker components at reasonable prices. I bought one of their 12 inch subwoofers, a good buy for about $130. They also have some very inexpensive speakers, about $35 each, which have been very favorably reviewed by Stereophile, of all people! With care the upper end of your budget could get you some quite reasonable sound, hardly high-end, but pleasant.
04-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thank you all for giving some recommended brands. if it could help, you might want to recommend an specific model. as I said, space and cluttters are an issue, so I would need something that would take less space and less wirings to contend with. from what I read, the more recent soundbars are of good quality. if I got money to burn, I would have selected Bose despite the bad raps I'm hearing about them, but the Cinemate 1 SR did made an impression on my wife and I, except I can't afford it right now. so I'm looking for a cheaper (temporary) solution for the moment that would make movie or tv viewing much better for hearing the conversations. I hate it when the conversation gets drowned or you can't hear it. I have to increase my volume just to hear the conversation, not to mention the bad mixture of sound. noise is also an issue since we don't have good soundproofing in our new place which could disturb the neighbors. I have a good 5.1 Home theater system before but I can't use them due to incompatibility to our new HDTV, not to mention the cluttered cables which is really annoying except Sony.

I'll look into Toshiba as well and those other systems.
04-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went with the Yamaha YAS-101 for a compact 2.1 sound bar with decent sound at a reasonable price. 2 wires (audio, power), integrated woofer, simple installation, and much better sound than the TV speakers.

The price seems to have gone up in the last 6 months but I think we paid $200 for it. The reviews I found while researching it were quite positive.

04-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I went with the Yamaha YAS-101 for a compact 2.1 sound bar with decent sound at a reasonable price. 2 wires (audio, power), integrated woofer, simple installation, and much better sound than the TV speakers.

The price seems to have gone up in the last 6 months but I think we paid $200 for it. The reviews I found while researching it were quite positive.
thanks. I was considering this one as well but I think I read something that is better than this for less. I forgot what it was since I was pretty much tired from reading a lot of the reviews. on the otherhand, basing from your experience, how was the clarity at small volume? does the sound have the tendency to blow up all of a sudden, any distortion or is it more consistent?
04-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm planning on buying a soundbar for our family room tv.

my problem is I don't know which specific brand or model to choose from
Opening of endless discussion.......
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
You might have a look at Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components They have a wide range of speakers and speaker components at reasonable prices. I bought one of their 12 inch subwoofers, a good buy for about $130. They also have some very inexpensive speakers, about $35 each, which have been very favorably reviewed by Stereophile, of all people! With care the upper end of your budget could get you some quite reasonable sound, hardly high-end, but pleasant.
O/T
Yea fun company.. I like this one as well...
Madisound Speaker Components: distributor of loudspeaker drivers and parts for speaker builders.

Briefly dabbled in speaker building (want to buy some "cook books", or some Vifa mid ranges, or Infinity surplus tweeters??).. 4 order crossover building, winding my own chokes, phase shift-able multi angle rear speakers ect.. Really liked those but couldn't get a sonic match to the pair, though they were close and functional.. Used cheap 2 ohm speakers form Parts Express I believe.. or maybe Allelectronics. long time ago..

Once built a sub woofer that was mounted in a large fiberglass sphere formed around a paper mache mold built around a weather balloon, dampened w/ cat litter glued to the inside.... I could never build the "mate" because I had so much fiberglass dust in my apt that it kept popping the second balloon.. First test run of the thing it must have a subsonic resonance.. Downstairs neighbor complained of his apt shaking.. I couldn't "hear" a thing w/ a 20Hz test signal except a very low hum......... It was REAL funny.....

Guess I was a speaker hacker..

All in all, I ended up buying some Wharfdales on ebay for rock bottom prices...ahh the old days when they were giving these things away.