Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As others have said, it's not worth the hassle or risk to me. On the other side of the coin, if I see something advertised in Europe or down under, I don't typically respond either. In many cases, shipping and insurance would out weigh any savings anyway, at least for me.

05-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most potential overseas buyers I have dealt with were not willing to pay for trackable insured shipping at actual cost.

Chris
05-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by guus giesbergen Quote
i posted the original question because I (privately) buy and sell all over the planet. And yes sometimes there's more effort or money involved, and one should be aware of that. But I must say that I have never encountered any problem, really, ever. And when I joined this forum I was taken aback with so many stating they will not ship internationally.
One factor to consider is that the vast majority of sellers in our Marketplace are casual sellers. They are not "in the business of selling." They are offering occasional items for sale that they no longer need or simply wish to sell. As such, they are naturally not as knowledgeable about selling internationally as you are. It's simply easier for them to sell domestically, so they do. YOU, as a self identified international seller know the ins and outs... Good for you... but it's not your prerogative to call others chauvinists because they don't do as you do.
05-03-2013, 05:24 AM   #19
Banned

https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Most items less than 2k in value can both ship and insure for about $20

05-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
https://www.usps.com/ship/insurance-and-extra-services.htm

Most items less than 2k in value can both ship and insure for about $20
Not by my calculations. Using the usps.com estimator:

Suppose someone in the UK wanted to buy my Pentax LX body.
A 3 lb. package shipped from USA to Great Britain would cost about $60.
(Express Mail International insured for $300).

Priority Mail International includes up to $80 indemnity coverage only.
First Class International cannot be insured at all.

Chris
05-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Not by my calculations. Using the usps.com estimator:

Suppose someone in the UK wanted to buy my Pentax LX body.
A 3 lb. package shipped from USA to Great Britain would cost about $60.
(Express Mail International insured for $300).

Priority Mail International includes up to $80 indemnity coverage only.
First Class International cannot be insured at all.

Chris
Exactly - you can buy additional insurance for priority mail int'l shipments, however if you've used their calculator you'd note they charge a significant amount more for priority insurance than express insurance. So much so in fact that it usually brings the cost difference to $5-7 (definitely under $10). Considering Express is faster, better tracking and delivery confirmation that is all that I will offer when I do ship int'l. I tend to not list int'l shipping and then decide if someone asks (lots of Australia buyers on here and I know they don't pay duty under $1K - they also tend to be on the more accepting end of paying for the actual shipping costs, not asking for the value to be altered, etc. - I'll usually say yes to an Australian buyer for those reasons).
05-04-2013, 02:24 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's get sensible here. If USA sellers have problems selling outside the USA and Canada, there's no point in berating them. What's that going to achieve? Really annoyed sellers who wouldn't sell to you even if you bought the house next door and begged them? If you want to buy the stuff, find a solution that makes it easy for the seller and gives you a good result.

You have to have a USA address - not a friend or a relative or someone you used to work with 25 years ago and maybe they'd do you a favour. You need your own address in the USA. There are many freight forwarding companies who do this. Some of them only do big stuff (container loads), but there are many who do small parcel stuff. They are not hard to find. Your purchase is being shipped to a USA address. The USA seller has no problem. The shipping to your home country is your responsibility. The freight forwarding company handles all the admin stuff.

There's a fee. Bottom line: if you really want the stuff, be prepared to pay some extra fees to get it to your door.

I use MyUS.com - #1 International Shipping, Mail and Package Forwarding Service - MyUS.com, but there are others.

I hope this has helped.

Richard.

05-04-2013, 03:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
That's another point for me - I can ship within the US from my house - also Canada now. But to ship to any other country makes a personal visit to the post office necessary. I only go to town a couple times a month, and won't make a special trip - waste of fuel.
Will the postman collect from your house?

We have to go to a post office or a street posting box.

I go to the post office every day to collect my mail so for me, it's no harder to post internationally than nationally so I'm quite happy to post anywhere.
05-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As an international buyer in Canada there is no 'duty' for items purchased from the US. There is GST (5%). I have received items from Fed-EX, UPS and USPS from the US with varying degrees of success. These include - no fees at all (USPS), 'brokerage fees' that were 25%+ the value of the contents (Fed-Ex / UPS). Today when purchasing from the US I try and insist on USPS. Rarely get a charge from them and if so it's usually the GST (5%) and a $5.00 'admin' fee. I do have an issue with the GST , it's a used item ! Anyway my issue is with my Government and NOT the seller. In fact I am expecting a package from a US seller next weeK (USPS). I am always curious to see what if any extra cost I will have to incur. The way I look at it, when buying items from the marketplace here , I generally lose on the conversion (even if the Canadian dollar is higher - funny how that works ), and plan on paying an additional 5% + $10.00 to get it to my door. If that still makes it a great deal I 'add to cart' so to speak.

I do agree on the PIA filling out international forms at the post office. I sold a lens to someone in Australia once and hey zeus you think I was trying to immigrate into the Country.
05-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Will the postman collect from your house?
Yes they do - very convenient. I can print the shipping label and pay for it right from my computer. Then it is as simple as putting the package in my mail box (I have a large one). If the package is too large to fit, there is a simple web form I fill out when printing my label that alerts the post office that I have a package to send that is too large for my mailbox. They will then come down the driveway and pick it up from my front porch.
05-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I do agree on the PIA filling out international forms at the post office. I sold a lens to someone in Australia once and hey zeus you think I was trying to immigrate into the Country.
It's worse when sending to the USA. They are paranoid since 11/9. It used to be a very small adhesive green customs declaration label that was stuck on to the parcel.
05-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Yes they do - very convenient. I can print the shipping label and pay for it right from my computer. Then it is as simple as putting the package in my mail box (I have a large one). If the package is too large to fit, there is a simple web form I fill out when printing my label that alerts the post office that I have a package to send that is too large for my mailbox. They will then come down the driveway and pick it up from my front porch.
You blokes have got it too easy!
05-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
you can buy additional insurance for priority mail int'l shipments.
Using the usps.com estimator there is no option for additional insurance (beyond the $80 maximum indemnity coverage) for my example.

The only trackable fully insured method is Express Mail International.
My experience is that most potential buyers will balk at $60 shipping for a $300 item.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-04-2013 at 07:36 AM.
05-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Using the usps.com estimator there is no option for additional insurance (beyond the $80 maximum indemnity coverage) for my example.

The only trackable fully insured method is Express Mail International.
My experience is that most potential buyers will balk at $60 shipping for a $300 item.

Chris
Interesting...we are both kind of right It appears to be country based - I put in Australia and it does give you an insurance add-on option. UK, not there.

And you're right about balking - almost always turns into a heated discussion - why so much? Because that is what it costs. Can you change the value on the form? No I will not commit a crime.
05-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great, I'm learning a lot here. Cause MRRiley : I am not a self identified international seller whatsoever. I just like to buy/sell things no matter what country,
And I also happen to dislike nationalism and borders, but that's just coincidence
Closed Thread