Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
shipping

so annoying to see a nice bit of equipment for sale, only to find it says to be shipped to the states only.
What is wrong with these people? What kind of chauvinism is this ?
nowadays it is ever so easy to send money or goods around the planet. I can't think of any reason.
Enlighten me or let me solve your problem

05-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people have gotten burned on "out-of-country" sales (going in many directions) so just don't want to deal with the hassles or uncertainty. You are always free to try to convince them otherwise. Many will bend if you make it worthwhile.
05-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by guus giesbergen Quote
so annoying to see a nice bit of equipment for sale, only to find it says to be shipped to the states only.
What is wrong with these people? What kind of chauvinism is this ?
nowadays it is ever so easy to send money or goods around the planet. I can't think of any reason.
Enlighten me or let me solve your problem
There are multiple reasons.

Additional time - forms need to be completed (4 of them, and sometimes manually - your address, my address, contact info, value of item, etc etc). Parcel needs to be physically handed to a clerk at the post office - additional time (honest to goodness it can be a half hour if you happen to stop in at a bad time...which can be anytime because they usually staff one clerk and you'd be surprised at how unprepared people go to the desk at the post office).

Cost prohibitive - anything over 13oz is going to be $25 or more depending on weight because you can't send first class (I won't send first class period due to no delivery confirmation, some people will risk it though, but that is another thread entirely). I'm not going to list a $100 item for int'l shipping - since I would ship for free in the US at $100, if I put a $25 fee for shipping int'l ($25 is a random number - I will ask whatever actual cost is), I guarantee you the int'l buyer will ask for shipping to be covered - GUARANTEE it. No way would I eat that cost.

And of course a higher risk of loss.

For these reasons I only offer int'l shipping on larger value items (like $300-400 or more) that I know might not sell as quickly domestically. And, int'l shipping will be at cost, so don't ask for it to be included - it is expensive (don't mean to sound harsh but this is a bit of a peeve and int'l buyers tend to think you're over-charging - go check usps.com and see what it costs, it ain't cheap...and rates have gone up quite a lot lately). Simple as that.

Last edited by pxpaulx; 05-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
05-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Banned

Here's a not so new item that covers a lot of bases

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-international-flat.htm

If it fits it ships; one rate to most anywhere in the world. Packages can also be "additionally insured" to most any amount. Plus one can print labels and all typically from home and/or work. Also depending on how often one ship with other companies; they will most likely match this type of offer.

05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
it's just that I don't understand if anyone wants to buy your article, and is willing to pay for it....
05-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I used to offer to ship to other countries, but have now stopped. My main reason is other countries customs fees or duty fees.

When I offered to ship to other countries, 90% of the inquiries asked if I would falsify the customs form so they wouldn't have to pay the fee in their country. Sorry - I just won't do that.

Then in a particular case of shipping a lens to Canada, when the buyer received the lens, I got a fairly harsh message that he had to pay $85.00 in fees/tax when he picked it up. How is this my fault? People aren't aware of thier own duty fees?

Just too much hassle.
05-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Being in Canada, I am quite used to the ads that say "US only" but really cannot blame them. All the reasons stated above are valid, along with the unspoken one that the US is the largest market for these forums, so the US-only sellers really are not limiting themselves much. As int'l buyers, this means we miss out on some deals, but I've been on both sides of the fence and am at least glad that the destinations are listed in the ads! I really don't appreciate the ones with no destinations excluded, only to get a PM reply saying "I won't ship outside the USA."

Related to this, I recently put a 60-250 up for sale, but limited it to Canada-only for many of the same reasons as US-only sellers. Sold it quickly and without problems here in Canada, while a very similar one listed before mine, for sale as US-only, still hasn't sold! It's a marketplace, so you never can predict what is a "limit" or not.

BTW, I've sold and shipped things to Asia, Africa, and the deepest depths of New Zealand without problems. However, I used to live in Europe, so I already know to avoid the national post services there...

Last edited by panoguy; 05-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.
05-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The potential for problems is too much. I haven't sold anything but I only buy from USA sellers. Stormtech's duty fee issue is one reason.I know a lot of people ship across borders without any issues whatsoever but occasionally something like this pops up, you get hit with unexpected charges and your good deal isn't very good anymore.
05-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting thread. I've bought twice from folks on the Forum in Canada, with no problem other than the longer shipping time. These were both used items, I wonder if that makes a difference?
05-02-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Interesting thread. I've bought twice from folks on the Forum in Canada, with no problem other than the longer shipping time. These were both used items, I wonder if that makes a difference?
There is duty/tax for shipments going into Canada from the US. I've received many items from Canada to the US with no duty or tax.
05-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
There is duty/tax for shipments going into Canada from the US. I've received many items from Canada to the US with no duty or tax.
Just my experiences. I have purchased many items from forum members in the US to be shipped to me in Canada, the most recent a Sigma 150-500, which the seller graciously agreed to on request. I always request USPS because their shipping rates are quite acceptable and they don't charge brokerage fees. I have never been charged duty nor taxes due to the items being second hand. Where charges come in is with shipping by couriers like Fedex or UPS as they charge brokerage fees which I understand can be very high.
05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've bought from US and Canadian sellers on this Forum, and I've always had a good experience with those sellers. Sellers, however, have the right to sell to whoever they want. Is there any chauvinism involved in some cases? Possibly, but who'd want to buy from a narrow-minded person, anyway? In the majority of cases, I suspect that there are unknowns that prevent those US-only sellers from looking further afield, rather than real experience. I do recognise that some have been burnt, as well.

For the information of those who worry about things like taxes and duties in other countries, let me make it clear that Australia only charges GST at 10% on an imported item which has a value greater than $1,000 (AUD - you can work out the current exchange rate). It is, of course, up to the buyer to pay that.
05-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
i posted the original question because I (privately) buy and sell all over the planet. And yes sometimes there's more effort or money involved, and one should be aware of that. But I must say that I have never encountered any problem, really, ever. And when I joined this forum I was taken aback with so many stating they will not ship internationally.
05-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by guus giesbergen Quote
i posted the original question because I (privately) buy and sell all over the planet. And yes sometimes there's more effort or money involved, and one should be aware of that. But I must say that I have never encountered any problem, really, ever. And when I joined this forum I was taken aback with so many stating they will not ship internationally.
Another reason is it entails more work. Most of us probably don't want to deal with the hassle, especially those who don't sell much or have ever shipped across borders. I can stroll down to my post office and ship something anywhere in the US priority rate that is usually under $10 with no concerns about tarrifs, declared value or any of that stuff.
05-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Another reason is it entails more work. Most of us probably don't want to deal with the hassle, especially those who don't sell much or have ever shipped across borders. I can stroll down to my post office and ship something anywhere in the US priority rate that is usually under $10 with no concerns about tarrifs, declared value or any of that stuff.
That's another point for me - I can ship within the US from my house - also Canada now. But to ship to any other country makes a personal visit to the post office necessary. I only go to town a couple times a month, and won't make a special trip - waste of fuel.
Closed Thread