Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My mistake - I thought that this thread was closed. Please ignore the recent separate post with the text below.

Seeing how I didn't get to respond to the thread about people messing up threads with pedantic antics because it was closed, I will put it on the record that I am not gay. Not that there is anything wrong with it - just not me.

Wishing my gay and lesbian friends all the best,
Ken

05-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
I was told on this forum that I needed to get laid the other day. I mean, it just so happens that it's true () but would you tell me so to my face?
That would depend upon if I thought a guy was cute or not and if I also needed to get laid I suppose, lol, and that's the only way I'd say that, because I don't usually say that in a derogatory way. Whoever said that to you was rude, period. It's not just the internet. People are freaking rude everywhere I go lately. There are a few mannerly people left in this world I think, but not many.

The other day I'm standing there for maybe 10 seconds trying to decide between two sliced loaves of artisan bread. I've got my hands on the basket they are in, and I'm like 5 seconds from picking one or the other. Before I can finish deciding this guy walks up and reaches over me literally to take the loaf right in front of me and a kid takes the other one just as I go to grab that one. I was PISSED.

Both of them couldn't wait five seconds for me to choose they had to just go right around me as if I wasn't even standing there looking at them and take both loaves practically at the same time. The guy I don't even think he thought about it. He looked tired and I think in his case it was just an automatic grab, but the kid she did it on purpose and she smirked at me as she did it. I felt like slapping the little brat. But wisely I refrained.

A good thing as it turns out because her mother saw that little maneuver and wasn't happy about it. Not only did she make the kid give it back but she also took the kid's cell phone and allowance when the kid protested having to apologize saying (lying) that I nearly stole HER bread. Her Mom actually used the allowance to buy me a little cake. The whole time the kid was just glaring at me. I tried not to smirk back but it was funny. She ended up sans cell, allowance, and apparently grounded for a week all because she disrespected an older person, got caught and didn't want to apologize. (Me and my roommate and her GF ate some really good cake that night. Thanks kid...lol...)

But I am getting to think that manners are going extinct. Every day I run into more and more rude people, particularly on the road in stores. It's almost getting to be the norm around here and I'm not happy bout that. I lived in NYC for six years and I never was treated this badly. Southern manners, my arse....
05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
.......It is for Members Only and the only requirement is that you be criminally insane. .....

Regards!
No, that's not the only requirement. For some reason we're running low so it's BYOB.
05-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, that's not the only requirement. For some reason we're running low so it's BYOB.
We're only running low because "someone" is watering down the liquor. Wonder who that might be?

Regards!

05-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Just read a bit about Dr. Robert Hare's studies; kind of scares the bejabbers out of me.
Why (Some) Psychopaths Make Great CEOs - Forbes
some fields attract the "type" more than others.. unfortunately I'm a bit low on demerit points to mention them but check out John W. Dean as well..
QuoteQuote:
the incidence of psychopathy among CEOs is about 4 percent, four times what it is in the population at large. I spoke with him recently about what that means and its implications for the business world and wider society.................Obviously there are items on the checklist you don’t want to have if you’re a boss. You don’t want poor behavioral controls. It’d be better if you don’t have promiscuous behavior. It’d be better if you don’t have serious behavioral problems in childhood, because that will eventually come out. But you do want lack of empathy, lack of remorse, glibness, superficial charm, manipulativeness. I think the other positive traits for psychopaths in business is need for stimulation, proneness to boredom. You want somebody who can’t sit still, who’s constantly thinking about how to better things.

A really interesting question is whether psychopathy can be a positive thing. Some psychologists would say yes, that there are certain attributes like coolness under pressure, which is sort of a fundamental positive. But Robert Hare would always say no, that in the absence of empathy, which is the definition in psychology of a psychopath, you will always get malevolence.

Basically, high-scoring psychopaths can be brilliant bosses but only ever for short term. Just like Al Dunlap, they always want to make a killing and move on.

And then you’ve got this question of what came first? Is society getting more and more psychopathic in its kind of desire for short-term killings? Is that because we kind of admire psychopaths in all their glib, superficial charm and ruthlessness?
QuoteOriginally posted by opfor Quote
It's just a matter of numbers, the are more people on-line now than there were 20 years ago......
More people, more twits.
The outspoken ones are not usually the ones to worry about.. It is like dogs.. the "silent ones" are usually more trouble.. I'll take a barking dog over one that just sits there and stares at you..
05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I've known a few scary people, the most scary didn't do much barking, but when you heard them growl, you knew they were dangerous. Best to avoid all contact if possible, they are ticking time bombs and little warning is given when they erupt. All in all, this is not an easy world to negotiate, is it?
Regards!
Closed Thread