Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why has the WWW turned the internet into WWPC?

I remember the beginning of the WWW with Mosaic and it seems every year since then has seen more and more people online looking for a fight or a reason to express offense. One word, not uber carefully considered, can be used as a reason to be sarcastic, snarky, outright mean, or to foment controversy; turning what starts out as a simple, good-natured statement or question into a reason for offense. I get that the WWW is something of a mirror of the world but when did that reflection turn so ugly?

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
05-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It probably turned ugly in the world when the first caveman met the 2nd caveman. I wasn't there, but Parallax was, so he could verify my hypothesis. If he will turn his hearing aid on, we can ask him?

Regards!
05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is easier now for the masses to participate, so they do.
05-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The world is divided roughly into decent people and twits. In everyday life you can generally avoid dealing with the twits but not so on t'Internet where it is no more difficult for a twit to sign up on a forum than it is for a decent person.

Various studies estimate that 1% - 2% of people are psychopaths. So that's somewhere between 70 million and 140 million uber-twits in the world. Or, to bring that figure closer to home, between 500 and 1000 members of this very forum. That kinda means they're hard to avoid all the time in the global village.

Then there's the effect of removing direct contact. We are all familiar with the experience of someone tailgating us, flashing their headlights for us to get out of the way. Would the person doing so barge through people on the pavement shouting "GET OUT OF MY WAY"? Of course not. But put them behind the wheel of a BMW / Audi / whatever-other-make-signifies-twit-behind-the-wheel and it's a different matter. Removed from the evolutionary rationale for good manners - you might hit me in the face with an axe if I'm not polite - many people choose to reveal their inner twit.

I was told on this forum that I needed to get laid the other day. I mean, it just so happens that it's true () but would you tell me so to my face?

Last edited by Tom S.; 05-12-2013 at 07:57 AM. Reason: inappropriate language edited
05-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
I was told on this forum that I needed to get laid the other day. I mean, it just so happens that it's true () but would you tell me so to my face?
Depends on what you look like - you may have no chance so speaking about it to you may be futile Just kidding. I would never tell anyone that they need to get laid. A bit sophomoric IMHO.

Personally I am less concerned about the twits in the general population spoiling my internet chat than I am concerned about the media exploiting stories to garner attention. I honestly thought that I saw a change in the media for about two weeks after 9/11. After that period it went back to its typical MO of sensationalism based on misinformation. Did anyone see the John Stewart clip showing CNN reporters posing as if they were linked via satellite when they were actually six parking spaces away in a parking lot outside some courtroom "drama?" Pretty funny to see the same traffic go past in the background of each "satellite" feed.

Note: If this violates the ban on P & R discussion feel free to take it down.
05-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

The internet has given more people a voice and many people want to feel that they're much more significant than they really are. Couple that with the fact that many people also feel that only their opinion and voice matters, you now get the dangerous combination of loudmouthed individuals who get their feelings hurt easily and take everything personally rather than having a reasonable conversation.
05-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northofpolaris Quote
The internet has given more people a voice and many people want to feel that they're much more significant than they really are. Couple that with the fact that many people also feel that only their opinion and voice matters, you now get the dangerous combination of loudmouthed individuals who get their feelings hurt easily and take everything personally rather than having a reasonable conversation.
Stop talking that way about me or I'll sic Rupert, Otis and his squirrel herd on you.

05-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

"I was told on this forum that I needed to get laid the other day. I mean, it just so happens that it's true () but would you tell me so to my face?"

From PentaxForums.com: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/224578-why-has-www-turned-in...#ixzz2T6K0kXhh

Not me, I wouldn't care if you went without until your eyes popped out of your head. It's not my business. However, Otis would even offer up one of his topless girlies.....if he thought you were squirrely enough?
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

BTW- Regarding 500-1000 psychopaths here on this Forum, I kind of doubt it. That's a very high number, maybe you are confusing them with those suffering from LBA...often the symptoms appear identical? In particular if your wife catches you with a new lens and demands you return it. That can set off some severe reactions.
05-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Flame Warriors Home
05-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Various studies estimate that 1% - 2% of people are psychopaths.
Just read a bit about Dr. Robert Hare's studies; kind of scares the bejabbers out of me.
05-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #11

It's just a matter of numbers, the are more people on-line now than there were 20 years ago......
More people, more twits.
05-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
Depends on what you look like - you may have no chance
When I first read that, I thought you were making me an offer!
05-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Stop talking that way about me or I'll sic Rupert, Otis and his squirrel herd on you.
Heck Tom! ( I'd say Hell Tom!, but some Mod would be on my case instantly)You know old Rupert and Otis are mild mannered fellows. We never look for trouble and are always there to help bring peace and harmony.

Regards!
05-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When I first read that, I thought you were making me an offer!
Are you sure that (s)he didn't?
05-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For those of you that want to avoid such bad experiences, you can visit us in the Pentaxian Lounge. It is for Members Only and the only requirement is that you be criminally insane. I think many will qualify, come have a drink with us....drinks are free. We rob liquor stores at every opportunity and share with our buddies.

Regards!
Closed Thread