Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need advice on a trumpet for son

Hi,
We have lots of expertise here on the forum and I'm hoping for some on buying a trumpet. Our local music store wants $1000 for a very slightly used Yamaha 200AD with case and mouthpiece. I find them online from $300 up and the local price seems a bit of a ripoff, or am I missing something? I went ahead and got him one for $45 for the first 3 months with an option to buy it, but the ability to walk away too.

I see 1 year old instruments at Amazon and eBay that were obviously used in band and a kid has decided to quit. If the instrument is sound and the valves don't stick wouldn't a routine cleaning and check be enough to get one into shape for a beginner?

Thanks.

-Robert

05-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I went ahead and got him one for $45 for the first 3 months with an option to buy it, but the ability to walk away too.
While I can't help on the specific instrument, I can say with experience that doing the 3 month rental to start is a good thing. Music is a tough thing to learn and really takes discipline. I tried to get my daughter involved when she was in school, and tried a couple instruments, only to be glad that I had that option with the 3 months then walk away.

Hopefully your son will stick with it. With that said it's a good idea that you are doing your proper research on a good instrument now. Just like our camera gear, as one progresses into music, playing a nicely made quality instrument makes (made) a difference to me.

I'm sure we have a lot of musicians here that will help guide you.
05-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
They last forever. I got mine in 1960, used it for 8 years, my cousin abused it for another 2. It still plays today. This being said, my Grandson chose the Trombone. Did a lease purchase and 2 years later it's close to pay off. We also got a letter from the music store that it was time to UPgrade to a more expensive horn. I'd say look around for a used one, have it cleaned and proceed. The music stores are in it for the money

Dana
05-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I agree with Stormtech, start with a rental. If he wants to stick with it, then buy. Our second daughter played violin. We rented at first and when she got older, we bought her a good one. Young kids need smaller sized violins anyhow so it made sense. I'm not familiar with the trumpet but $1000 seems high for a used one, especially for a kid to learn on.

05-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That 1000 Yamaha sounds expensive, must be a full frame, lol.
We spent 350 or 400 on a nearly new Yamaha model and it has turned out to be great. Sometimes a student horn is better for the bore size for young lungs. If he sticks to it, believe me, he will let you know when he is ready to upgrade. If it were me, rather than rent or buy something crazy expensive, I would hit craigslist and get a used horn. Good luck
05-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

We did your basic rental instrument when our son started trumpet in junior high. After a couple of years, we got him a much nicer Yamaha when it was clear he was sticking with it (and he was getting private lessons that got him to the skill level where it was worth it). That was a good while back, no idea about prices nowadays - but I'd sure go rental at first.
05-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't forget ebay. Years ago I picked up a nice old King trumpet for about $50. Got a new mouthpiece for it and it was great

05-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks. I've looked at eBay and used ones of indeterminate upkeep are running $300-500 instead of the $1000 for a used one that has been refurbed by the local music store.
05-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't speak about trumpets, but as a flutist (flautist?) of no real skill the quality of the instrument makes a real difference. While a student using my student grade flute I had the opportunity to try a semi-pro model, not a gold pipe like Galway uses, but a really good instrument. It was far, far easier to play! I'd guess that the same is true of most instruments. BTW, there was no way I could afford that sterling silver flute!
05-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I can't help with the trumphet but I can tell you where to get some hearing protectors! Something with a 29db noise reduction should do the trick.
05-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I can't help with the trumphet but I can tell you where to get some hearing protectors! Something with a 29db noise reduction should do the trick.
Thanks. Fortunately my wife will have to deal with that as I don't usually get home in time to enjoy their practice.
05-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My dad got me a trumpet for 20 bucks back when I was in High School. It was so bad to tune it the tuning slide had to be so far out it was in danger of falling off during concerts. The rest of the time I just played out of tune. You're bringing back old memories here. I used to play both in the band and on the football team. 4 years on second trumpet. My band leader once said to me, "As a band member, you're a really good football player." But he never asked me to quit or pulled the "one or the other" number on me. And once surprised me by announcing I was the only member of the band allowed to play football. All the others had to quit the team. I guess experienced second trumpets with no desire to advance are hard to come by.