Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great to see you're still alive, George. Haven't heard you for a while.

06-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #17

Yeah well you know the second time around is never the same as the first. I stop by to see what a few old friends are up to once in a while. I hang mostly on the plantedtank.net. Tropical fish is one of the hobbies I've been into almost as long as photography. Hoping to get all 47 tanks up and running by December. My old press room is now the fish house.
I did put up a shot for you here though
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/225619-food-ones-parallax.html
06-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #18

Here in Japan cicadas are really annoying. We call them "semi", and in August they are really big and noisy. But I prefer them over cockroaches or Mosquitos or Japanese giant vesp (very dangerous)
06-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I remember the cicadas in Japan...just awesome.
My apartment was on the seventh floor and I had trees on the streets that came up to the balcony.
Thought the cicadas were going to explode with the noise....sound like a 50cc bike revved hard.

06-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While driving on the NYS Thruway one hot day last week I thought a wheel bearing
was about to fail, but on further investigation it was merely the sound of cicadas.

Chris
06-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in Southeast Texas and have had them coming up out of the ground in my back yard for a week now. There's about 25-35 holes in my yard from them making their escape.

These aren't the best pics, but I caught one coming out. It was starting to get dark and all I had was my K7.

I actually just learned that they first emerge from the ground a couple days ago when I found this one. I had been seeing all of these holes in the yard, and didn't know what was making them. I found this hole that was pretty moist looking, and figured something was in there. I took a scoop of dirt out with a shovel and found this one.

I also found their exo-skeletons? stuck on the sides of my house and on the bark of some of my trees.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 01-31-2015 at 07:09 AM.
06-29-2013, 03:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I find it interesting that cicadas are recently/currently active in other parts of the country (as reported by ChrisPlatt and R0ckstarr). I assumed each brood's cycle would run at approximately the same time of year.

The brood in Southern Maryland competed their cycle a few weeks ago. The mornings are quiet again!

07-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this useful link in NY State DEC's excellent magazine The Conservationist:

http://www.magicicada.org

Chris
07-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strangely, here in Jonesboro GA we have few if any cicadas, annual or 17 year. Anyone in the general Atlanta area care to report?
07-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I found this useful link in NY State DEC's excellent magazine The Conservationist:

http://www.magicicada.org

Chris
That's an informative link. Thanks for posting.

I finally got my film developed - here's a shot of one of last month's visitors hanging out on my deck.