Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Got Cicadas?

Has the Cicada Brood II invaded your location yet? If you live/work in the right area, no doubt you are in the thick of it now and don't need me to tell you. Here's a coverage map and story for the Washington D.C. area: Cicada update: Latest coverage map and a cicada taste test Apparently, they are also in the New York area and into North Carolina, along the I-95 corridor.

I am currently surrounded by the little buggers, and while I don't see the hoards as reported on the news, they do get louder as each day passes. It's loudest morning through mid-day. I decided to record a video with my phone, just to see if their sounds were discernable. If you're curious, here's the You Tube link:

cheers,
Fred

Last edited by hollywoodfred; 05-27-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling - as usual.
05-27-2013, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

They're just looking for mates. They're no noisier than we are when we've had a few beers on a Saturday night and are doing the same thing!
05-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think I'm too far north and our recent snowfall probably would interfere with their cycle. We do have black flies so if any of you would like to trade bugs..........
05-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An unmistakable sound, so evocative of childhood summers before air conditioning.
In New York we get broods II and XIV five years apart. Both are 17-year varieties.

Chris

05-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not a one in Central New York State. Not even very many Butterflies. We had a huge migration of Red Admirals last year, but this year just a few Wood Nymphs and Mourning Cloaks.
05-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Has the Cicada Brood II invaded your location yet? If you live/work in the right area, no doubt you are in the thick of it now and don't need me to tell you. Here's a coverage map and story for the Washington D.C. area: Cicada update: Latest coverage map and a cicada taste test Apparently, they are also in the New York area and into North Carolina, along the I-95 corridor.

I am currently surrounded by the little buggers, and while I don't see the hoards as reported on the news, they do get louder as each day passes. It's loudest morning through mid-day. I decided to record a video with my phone, just to see if their sounds were discernable. If you're curious, here's the You Tube link:Cicadas, Brood II, 2013 - YouTube

cheers,
Fred
Yup, sounds about right, being 10 or so miles south of you.
Wife told me today she was sick of hearing them already.
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #7

I remember being in Spain about 15 years ago - stayed at a place amongst the olive groves. No exaggeration - The Cicadas there were almost as big as your fist! Had one fly right at my face and veer off at the last moment.

Frightening! A local told me I had to take off my glasses as they were attracted by the reflection.

06-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

We had the cicada plague a couple of years back. Maybe you would like to see a few?

One on the tire of my Jeep that had exited his shell.
[IMG] [/IMG]

This one must have had an iron deficiency, so he pulled a nail for lunch!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Coming into the above ground world at last!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Head popping out.....
[IMG] [/IMG]

Leaving his old body behind.
[IMG] [/IMG]

In all his "glory".
[IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

They were everywhere! I have some shots ( I can't find ) of the Cicada Killer Wasps that were here also. Very large wasps, as large as the cicadas. Very good hunters too, and most interesting in how they operate.

Sphecius speciosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hear the cicadas are delicious pan roasted, but I never tried them. Otis says they taste like chicken.

Regards!
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
I remember being in Spain about 15 years ago - stayed at a place amongst the olive groves. No exaggeration - The Cicadas there were almost as big as your fist! Had one fly right at my face and veer off at the last moment.

Frightening! A local told me I had to take off my glasses as they were attracted by the reflection.
Yikes!! Now I don't feel so bad...the local ones here are only about the size of my thumb. And now the noise level is starting to lessen. I guess they are nearing the end of their cycle.
06-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
They're just looking for mates. They're no noisier than we are when we've had a few beers on a Saturday night and are doing the same thing!
Agree - though I am like that on Friday and Saturday nights, sometimes Sunday too...
06-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Been pretty quiet here in Alexandria. Not nearly as bad as the wave ~10 years ago.
06-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
We do have black flies so if any of you would like to trade bugs.........
I don't think anybody will take you up on that. At least Cicadas don't bite.
06-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There's supposed to be some of those in the general region, according to a half-heard mention on the news. They didn't say exactly where. I'm guessing it might mean up in the mountains from what I've seen of their range, unless something's anomalous. But the non-17 year cicadas set up quite a racket here sometimes as it is. Guess they don't bother me.
06-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

They were pretty deafening a few days ago but I think they are starting to thin out where I live (central VA). It's been a very large invasion this year. They took over the crabapple and pear trees. Got pretty territorial, in fact. I don't mind them at all. If they came every year, I might feel differently.
06-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We had the cicada plague a couple of years back. Maybe you would like to see a few?

This one must have had an iron deficiency, so he pulled a nail for lunch!
[/url] [/IMG]

They were everywhere! I have some shots ( I can't find ) of the Cicada Killer Wasps that were here also. Very large wasps, as large as the cicadas. Very good hunters too, and most interesting in how they operate.

Sphecius speciosus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hear the cicadas are delicious pan roasted, but I never tried them. Otis says they taste like chicken.

Regards!
Rupert you sure it's not a hang nail?