Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PayPal denies teenager reward for finding website bug.

Since we use paypal here on the Marketplace......

QuoteQuote:
Robert Kugler said he notified PayPal of the vulnerability on May 19. He said he was informed by email that because he is under 18 years old, he did not qualify for its Bug Bounty Program. He will turn 18 next March.

PayPal, which is owned by auction site eBay, outlines the terms and conditions for its Bug Bounty Program on its website, but does not appear to have an age guideline. PayPal officials did not have an immediate comment.

05-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Since we use paypal here on the Marketplace......

First off, PayPal is NOT required in the Marketplace. The rules state sellers must offer a payment option like PayPal, but let's the sellers decide which one to use. Nor is there any connection between PayPal and the Marketplace.

Having said that, I'm betting there will be enough negative publicity from this to make PayPal reconsider. At least I hope so.
05-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I expect Paypal will eventually change their decision on this case. If people under 18 discover security flaws, would Paypal rather have the discovers give the info to Paypal for a reward, or share it with others who want to hack Paypal?
05-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

So give the reward to his parents then - for having such a smart kind .

05-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
So give the reward to his parents then - for having such a smart kind .
From the sounds of things, PayPal should offer him a job. Sounds like a very bright kid, since this wasn't his first find with software glitches.
05-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the DOS attacks have started in his support. I have been unable to view the paypal home page this afternoon.
05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
From the sounds of things, PayPal should offer him a job. Sounds like a very bright kid, since this wasn't his first find with software glitches.
Even better!
05-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A bad decision IMO. I wonder what Paypal's reaction would have been if the kid chose to announce the vulnerability publicly or worse, sell his discovery to someone could exploit it. Just let it ride because he was 17? I doubt it.

Come on Paypal, pay up! The next under 18 kid might not be as honest.

05-29-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Cheap to pay him and VERY costly not to. Whoever made the decision should be looking for work now.
06-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Cheap to pay him and VERY costly not to. Whoever made the decision should be looking for work now.
Absolutely. If the guy was good enough to inform PayPal then that's kudos to him - and likely offers of further work from other financial institutions. If PayPal won't pay him then that's seriously bad form from PayPal. They say "So many brands, so little fuss". Perhaps it should read "So many bugs, so little testing".

Get real, PayPal - that 'child' has behaved like a true, honest adult. The very least you can do is treat him like one and PAY HIM the bounty.
06-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
A bad decision IMO. I wonder what Paypal's reaction would have been if the kid chose to announce the vulnerability publicly or worse, sell his discovery to someone could exploit it. Just let it ride because he was 17? I doubt it.

Come on Paypal, pay up! The next under 18 kid might not be as honest.

Speaking as a long time PayPal user, I have to say +X on this post. PayPal find a way to reward honesty. Or the next kid may very well sell it.