Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DPR D300 review

Here is the last paragraph of the conclusion of latest dpreview on the N**** D300:

"There is price, but sometimes the best products demand a premium and the D300 is no exception. Nikon's biggest problem now will be bettering the D300; it raises the bar to a new high, and represents the state of the art despite strong competition from the likes of Canon, Sony and Olympus. There's simply no better semi-professional digital SLR on the market."

Will the K20D be able to stand the challenge?

- Bert

03-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't have any delusions of the K20D beating the D300 overall. That's a very high bar. But, like with the K10D, there will be some points where it gives it a very good run for the money — and at a 40% price difference.

And we'll see what happens in the next few months, because I bet the K20D will drop more and more quickly than the D300 does.
03-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hmmm, interesting. I'd say apart from FPS there won't be a huge difference. I would expect image quality from the Nikon to be very much like the Sony A700. The K20D compares nicely to the A700 in all areas accept speed.

Tim H
03-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

this camera is very good

some of the sublteties that i dont know if people got was a 100% view finder and 14 bit processing.

the latter may not mean much to many people, but it certainly does to a post processing freak like me.

also the 3" LCD has a whopping 922000 pixels, that means instant review'ing can help determine the level of detail with greater accuracy

12 MP CMOS vs Pentax's 14, on paper, in theory (depending on how they actualy made it internaly) should produce less noise.

this camera will by no means bend over before the K20D, it is a worthy opponent and remember that for that increase in price you are getting beeter AF and rappid shooting for SPORTS, not to mentionion Nikons large supply of flash supplies.

Last edited by Gooshin; 03-12-2008 at 05:18 PM.
03-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, there' something 'whopping' about the Nikon D300 alright... whether it's a positive or not is a whole 'nuther story.

Just read the Nikon forums...
03-12-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I found amusing was AWB was slightly better than average. I wonder why RiceHigh isn't here touting how much better it is than the K20D's? ;-)

The D300 is a very nice camera though. If I were starting w/ no lenses, it'd be on the short list (assuming it was in budget)...
03-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #7

I'm of the opinion that all the DSLRs are now so close together in image quality that its pretty much just pick the feature set that fits your style.

Although when pixel peeping, is it just me, or did the Canon 40D seem to be resolving detail noticably better than the D300?

03-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with Gooshin. If Pentax wanted the K20 to be 1800, they could have upped the FPS, provided a kick-butt screen, and a couple of the other things that make the D300 "Better." Personally, I'm glad they made a camera with great image quality and Sv mode at a price that I can afford.
03-13-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
also the 3" LCD has a whopping 922000 pixels,
Actually, that's 922000 dots. Divide by 3 to get the pixel count. It is a stunner though. The camera it self is quite an instrument.
03-13-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Buying that camera is buying another system. No, thanks. Just way too much money to burn.

After all, k20d is already quite capable of producing great images enlarging to A2 size (I just printed the shots at the shop). Stunning details and colour. Seriously, I really think nothing really beats the capability of k20d.
03-13-2008, 04:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ive seen a couple of studio shots taken with a d300 and the first thing that struck me was ...that shot could've been taken with any one of the latest offerings and no one would've known any better. I think we're reaching that point where almost all of the players have reached a stale mate in terms of IQ. Wether it be resized images for the web or real world prints i imagine the differences are so minute as to be negligable (i think you can tell quite clearly with prints the differences between a Canikon CMOS and a K10 CCD for the record). In order to step up to the semi pros/ pro's the iq has to be the first stepping stone. Im not expecting the K20 to rock the industry or the reviewers....but for the most part it seems to be the model that will level the playing field for Pentax perhaps setting up the next model as the show stopper. Fingers crossed...
03-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No, I'm afraid.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Here is the last paragraph of the conclusion of latest dpreview on the N**** D300:

"There is price, but sometimes the best products demand a premium and the D300 is no exception. Nikon's biggest problem now will be bettering the D300; it raises the bar to a new high, and represents the state of the art despite strong competition from the likes of Canon, Sony and Olympus. There's simply no better semi-professional digital SLR on the market."

Will the K20D be able to stand the challenge?

- Bert
Just re-read the above. It seems that in the eyes of Phil Askey there is just NO Pentax - so, that's the answer to your question.
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Just re-read the above. It seems that in the eyes of Phil Askey there is just NO Pentax - so, that's the answer to your question.
That's Phil.
Canon and Nikon are #1 and #2 in the market DSLR, no doubt.

But Pentax/Samsung, Olympus, Sony are all #3 with all having exactly 6% market share (Pentax+Samsung = 5+1%). So no need to be afraid of the other two "Number Three"s
03-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Pentax could make a DSLR next year with six gigapixels, three-hundred FPS, and lenses wrought from some exotic mineral mined from a small asteroid which, at great expense, had been towed from another solar system and nudged into orbit around Earth, waterproof to a depth of four hundred feet, minor luminance noise at ISO 25000 and every single reviewer would still say, "It wouldn't do for professional work, but it's a good amateur DSLR - great if you want something a bit more substantial to take photos of you kids' birthday party."
03-13-2008, 01:26 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Pentax could make a DSLR next year with six gigapixels, three-hundred FPS, and lenses wrought from some exotic mineral mined from a small asteroid which, at great expense, had been towed from another solar system and nudged into orbit around Earth, waterproof to a depth of four hundred feet, minor luminance noise at ISO 25000 and every single reviewer would still say, "It wouldn't do for professional work, but it's a good amateur DSLR - great if you want something a bit more substantial to take photos of you kids' birthday party."
I am pretty sure they wont say that if pentax does indeed do all you say