Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any websites with leaks or info on the new 8.9" models?

Pat

03-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Ah found somehting!

Asus’ 8.9″ Eee draws crowds at CeBIT | George Ou | ZDNet.com

The new 8.9″ Asus Eee comes with more SSD flash storage, a bigger LCD screen with 1024×600 resolution, a better quality webcam. The same Pentium M 900 MHz CPU is the same as the original Eee.

The Windows XP model comes with 8 GBs of SSD flash memory when the Linux model comes with 12 GB of SSD flash memory. So far we only know that the price will be 399 Euros (which typically means it will be fewer in dollars for the US market), but we don’t know if there will be a price difference between the Linux and Windows XP model.

It's going to be an interesting machine!

Pat
03-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

What would you prefer?

ASUS Eee PC
Intel Dothan 900Mhz CPU
512MB RAM
4GB SSD
7" 800x480 res screen
Linux/WinXp
$499.

Acer AS5315-100508Mi
Intel Celeron 1.86Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
80GB HD
DVD-RW drive
15" 1280x800 CrystalBrite screen
WinVista Basic
$648 with $149 cashback...
03-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
What would you prefer?
You need to include their physical dimensions & weights as well, as that is the OP's very key point

03-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

0.92 vs a bit under 3kg. They're both more practical than each other in different ways.

If you want mobile internet you'd be mad not to get one of these.
Nokia Europe - Nokia N810 - Specifications
Nokia N810 internet tablet. Beautiful 4" 800x480 screen, slide out keyboard, touch screen, built-in GPS. From AU$550.
03-15-2008, 04:55 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yikes. I think you would be mad to get one of those.

What do you do with that keyboard? I never could stand typing on my blackberry. That Nokia is very much the same.

The Eee strikes that perfect balance of not being too small (every PDA I have owned was too small to be much useful), and not being too large. I think Asus got it right in the form factor.

I don't care about the solid state HD being only 4GB. With SDHC cards, that is more then enough storage for anyone out there. Yes, the screen is a paltry 800x480. However, with XP installed, I have found that you can do 800x600 with a cute little scroll feature to see the rest of your screen. I thought this would drive me up the wall, but one gets used to that quickly enough.

I have even installed Corel Paintshop Pro XI on it. With the screen set to 800x600, I have found the device perfectly ok to tweak my images. So yes, it can be useful for a photographer who wants to travel light and needs to do image manipulation out in the field. Yes, there are 12 and 10" notebooks out there, but they don't cost 400 dollars either. At this price point, if it gets damages somehow, I won't be as upset as a device that cost 2000+.

But to each their own. I only posted the images because I really get this device, and to inform others that may not have known the existance of this mini notebook (much like I was a week ago).
03-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
The Eee strikes that perfect balance of not being too small (every PDA I have owned was too small to be much useful), and not being too large. I think Asus got it right in the form factor.
I think you're right and have been following this notebook since it was in pre-release. There's no way I can afford a super-light fully-functioning laptop with the specs I need to replace a desktop, since that would be three grand or more. Instead of trying for the impossible, this little cutie just provides the basic connectivity and productivity features most people need. I've already got an 8GB stick so tripling the storage space is a no-brainer. Then copy everything back to home base when you get there.

The decision to use LINUX and develop a complete suite of usable software was an excellent one. Those that really need Windows can double the price of the computer to use it.

People complaining that this is not the equal to some super-sized "laptop" are missing the point. I would never buy a 15-17" behemoth, but recommend 14" as the largest usable size. (My partner went that route and got an Asus, since they make excellent gear.) But this is of a different scale altogether.

And, yes, I do think that the eee is useful even as photographer's tool, not for detailed editing (obviously) but for quick reviewing in the field. Bang a USB HD on it and it's way more flexible than any other photo bucket option. This unit can fit in my camera bag next time I go on holiday (soon... please...). A full-sized laptop? Nah.

But, yes, I will wait for a larger screen!

On a practical note: does anyone know how to display PEF files on this machine?

03-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

A macbook air would be a much better micro notebook, its alot faster has alot more HD space and comes with 2GB of ram standard, and has a decent screen with accurate colour. It also has 5 hour battery (with wireless use!!!)
03-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I think you're right and have been following this notebook since it was in pre-release. There's no way I can afford a super-light fully-functioning laptop with the specs I need to replace a desktop, since that would be three grand or more. Instead of trying for the impossible, this little cutie just provides the basic connectivity and productivity features most people need. I've already got an 8GB stick so tripling the storage space is a no-brainer. Then copy everything back to home base when you get there.

The decision to use LINUX and develop a complete suite of usable software was an excellent one. Those that really need Windows can double the price of the computer to use it.

People complaining that this is not the equal to some super-sized "laptop" are missing the point. I would never buy a 15-17" behemoth, but recommend 14" as the largest usable size. (My partner went that route and got an Asus, since they make excellent gear.) But this is of a different scale altogether.

And, yes, I do think that the eee is useful even as photographer's tool, not for detailed editing (obviously) but for quick reviewing in the field. Bang a USB HD on it and it's way more flexible than any other photo bucket option. This unit can fit in my camera bag next time I go on holiday (soon... please...). A full-sized laptop? Nah.

But, yes, I will wait for a larger screen!

On a practical note: does anyone know how to display PEF files on this machine?
try loading UFRaw on it, see if that helps..
03-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
A macbook air would be a much better micro notebook, its alot faster has alot more HD space and comes with 2GB of ram standard, and has a decent screen with accurate colour. It also has 5 hour battery (with wireless use!!!)
But it is 50% heavier and twice the size, has only one USB port and no ethernet and for all that costs four to five times as much. Apple have thrown the baby out with the bathwater in order to get a computer that is thin, as if that matters at all. What's the opposite of innovation?
03-15-2008, 01:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Asus’ 8.9″ Eee draws crowds at CeBIT | George Ou | ZDNet.com

From looking at that this laptop won't be of much use for photos editing as its cpu is only 900mhz. Now im not sure if you guys have ever tried editing 10MP jpeg files on a 1.3ghz ibook with 512MB RAM it took a few minutes to open each one and would pause when editing, now try opening raw files and it gets worse. See my point? this is almost half the speed of my old ibook. I now have a macbook pro which fair enough cost only a bit more than a macbook air but if your wanting to have a useful micro notebook i'd suggest that or forget it and get a portable photo vault type thing.
I'm sure it's useful for quick emails etc but even then most phones can do that now
03-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I just upgraded the RAM to 2 Gigs (I was only going with 1Gig originally) for the princely sum of 67 dollars. I was sort of in shock. I remember paying 300 for 128Megs of RAM in SO-DIMM format for my old Everex Pentium 150 laptop. Memory is dirt cheap these days, well at least 667MHz DDR2 SO-DIMMS.
03-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #28
Veteran Member

667 is mainstream nowadays. You'd pay a lot more for a 400 MHz DDR 1 memory (SO)DIMM.
Also, you'd pay MUCH more for 1033 MHz DDR III.