Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mint 14 rocks!

Hi all,

I normally use a fairly old iMac (soon 5 years old, worry, worry!), but I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400, that used to run OK with the very last XP version (no upgrades available ever more), but never brilliant. My step-son, now living in Thailand, is a computer programmer, and software house owner) just came for a visit, and I brought up the matter of the tired Dell, as it just sits there, doing nothing,most of the time, as just booting it takes time, and there are several hickups before its up and running.

He had proposed to install Linux, ages ago, but I had refused having a game, or two, needing Windows, but enough is enough. So he installed Mint 14 on it and it now is a rocket, so this will be my internet computer here-by-on, while the iMac will handle post-processing.

Just by chance I had a single cope of the Linux Format magazine that contained a copy of Mint 14 (I am used to Ubuntu), which installed effortlessly, and the machine is faster than ever before! Yipee! Otherwise it would have been running Ubuntu, as my old HP does ;-)!

Highjly recommended!

06-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is nothing like Linux to salvage old hardware. Unfortunately, my wife hates it or won't give it a chance. As a dual boot, it sees less and less use. I did install it on my dad's aging desktop. It will probably last him another 5 years.
06-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I´ve been a Linux-user for about 5 years now, i use Ubuntu 12.04 with customized Gnome3 desktop on my prime computer and Cruchbang on second, older machine. Also installed Ubuntus and Mints for friends, and after a while they get used to their Linuxes, with no problems! It just takes little time, especially after Wind(bl)ows...
06-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Linux is a great solution for older hardware, and Mint is a nice distro. I have a circa-2005 single-core Athlon 64 box running PCLinuxOS, with a lightweight LXDE desktop. It absolutely flies now, & can still handle everyday tasks like browsing, email, Youtube, basic photo editing and DVDs without breaking a sweat. I appreciate how Linux is keeping some of these older PCs out of the trash bins & landfills!

06-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for reminding me! I just installed Mint 13 on my very old IBM X40 1GB of RAM. This laptop could barely load WinXP but it's now very usable with Mint. My 3-year old son is now having fun with it
06-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems like there's a new version of Linux every week.
FWIW Mint 13 is a Long Term Support version (5+ years).

Chris