Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Game of Thrones - Might contain SPOILERS

Last night I saw the s3e09 of this TV show.

I could not sleep the whole night. And it still is in my head today.

I really enjoy shows or movies that confuse and upset my emotions. But boy oh boy was I not prepared for this.

06-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not going to be the one to post a spoiler, but it has certainly set things up for a very interesting fourth series, not to mention S3 Ep10.
06-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I heartily recommend you read the books before watching the TV shows (there are around 7 of them so far), they are great. Although I always recommend that e.g. Lord of the Rings, Hobbit etc. Much better to read the books first as you get so much more of the plot than watching the shows. But yes, I agree, having read all the books I can certainly say there are more unexpected things/twists in this story than any other I have read/seen...
06-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The sad part about the TV series is that G.R.R Martin isn't going to be finished with the books before the series wraps up. He might not even finish the 6th book before the series ends. He gave the show's producers the basic plot points of how the story is going to end, but it isn't going to be the same.

My favorite current Internet theory is the R + L = J theory, but GRR left us with a cliffhanger concerning J at the end of A Dance with Dragons. A dragon has three heads, and we still don't know who the other two are...

Last edited by boriscleto; 06-04-2013 at 05:06 AM.
06-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The sad part about the TV series is that G.R.R Martin isn't going to be finished with the books before the series wraps up. He might not even finish the 6th book before the series ends. He gave the show's producers the basic plot points of how the story is going to end, but it isn't going to be the same.

My favorite current Internet theory is the R + L = J theory, but GRR left us with a cliffhanger concerning J at the end of A Dance with Dragons. A dragon has three heads, and we still don't know who the other two are...
Sorry that's too cryptic for me, and I've read all the books. What do you mean? There's spoiler warnings out, so it's fair game!

Shame that the TV series will end before the books... There's obviously some major plot twists coming that I don't want to know about before reading them...
06-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
And just a side topic for anyone that likes these long book series - The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is excellent...
06-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Sorry that's too cryptic for me, and I've read all the books. What do you mean? There's spoiler warnings out, so it's fair game!

Shame that the TV series will end before the books... There's obviously some major plot twists coming that I don't want to know about before reading them...
Just Google R + L = J...

06-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just Google R + L = J...
A bit like those who endlessly speculate about a full-frame Pentax, I am happy to wait and see.
06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've read the books, so I knew what was going to happen, but seeing the last episode being depicted was still very brutal. I think it hit home for me more so because I have a baby on the way. Hope I haven't given away too much...
06-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have not read the books and I dont think I am going to. For me reading the book will ruin it for me. I like the surprise.
When Ned Stark died it was a big shock, and for a while house Stark was struggling but now.............with this twist it feels like all hope is lost.

And I am going to stay away from this thread if it starts giving too much info.....
06-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do not despair for House Stark. I reckon (hope) Arya and Brandon have something special to offer.
06-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Very atypical of the fantasy genre. Heck even Tolkien never whacked a major major protagonist character (I don't count Boromir... Sean Bean is almost guaranteed to die (or go to jail) in any movie he is in) much less half of the company. Martin seems interested in presenting a realistic world where sometimes the bad guys win and the good guys lose. Of course then the quandary becomes who is good and who is bad. Some bad guys are obvious, some are not. Some good guys are obvious, some are not. Some characters reject the whole concept of good/bad. All a matter of perspective...
06-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Very atypical of the fantasy genre. Heck even Tolkien never whacked a major major protagonist character (I don't count Boromir... Sean Bean is almost guaranteed to die (or go to jail) in any movie he is in) much less half of the company. Martin seems interested in presenting a realistic world where sometimes the bad guys win and the good guys lose. Of course then the quandary becomes who is good and who is bad. Some bad guys are obvious, some are not. Some good guys are obvious, some are not. Some characters reject the whole concept of good/bad. All a matter of perspective...

This is funny and so true. Boromir is always guaranteed to die or go to jail.
06-06-2013, 03:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Well, Tolkien did kill off Thorin a couple of the other dwarves at the end of the Hobbit. The Silmarillion is much more of a "everyone gets killed" book in which all of the heroes -- Feanor, and all of his sons, Fingolfin, Beren, Thingol, etc are gradually killed off. But certainly there is not all of the intrigue that you get with Game of Thrones.
06-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #15

How about that finale (boring)? They setup a lot of stuff for next season though so it better be a good one - and more than 10 episodes would be nice.