Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Anyone here know what one of these boats is called?

I dont have a picture but they are little flat bottom row boats with a flat front and back. I have seen them before and I think they would be perfect for some of the little lakes I go fishing at so I could take my son out on the lake. Ok he is 4 months old but a dad can dream cant he?

The ones I saw before were aluminum with a couple seats and oars. I thought maybe someone here might know what I am speaking of

03-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You mean like this:

It's simply a flat bottom boat... some folks also call them "John Boats", but I don't know why...

Pat
03-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Flat bottom boat, who would have thunk it lol. Thanks.

I am hoping to find one small enough for me to man handle it into the back of my truck.
03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

I would call it a ....boat ..lol

or maybe a punt.

cheers
Keith

03-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If you were alone, these are better from what I have experienced. Lighter, more portable, far more maneuverable.

Inflatable Pontoon Boats & Pontoon Float Boats : Cabelas

I wouldn't use one in croc infested waters though.

Another light weight and highly portable solution is a folding boat. I have seen one in use. No leeks, fairly stable, looked safe.

Instaboat® - A revolutionary folding boat

I was also curious as to why they are called johnboats. I found this about the topic.

What’s in a Name, like John boat
03-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have always called them "punts" but they come by the name "Jon Boats" these days.
03-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Aye, I do believe it's a punt - I remember that from a piece on a variety of fishing tinnies (Aussie slang for aluminium boats.)

Though I can't remember if it was an article on suitable boats in some Ye Olde Fyshing Almanack or an ad for a particular supplier. Punts are good, you've got more area for sit/stand or, and the shallow draft is handy for fishing. Not too stable at high speed, though, or in roughish water. The wide bow does make for some increased water resistance.

The real downside is that your sinkers don't roll to the centre when you drop them in a punt.

03-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
BPT
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
If you were alone, these are better from what I have experienced. Lighter, more portable, far more maneuverable.

Inflatable Pontoon Boats & Pontoon Float Boats : Cabelas

I wouldn't use one in croc infested waters though.
You dont have to worry about croc infested waters here, I think the crocs would have to wear wetsuits to not freeze to death.

I am looking forward to having a fishing partner, my Dad has actually bought my son a fishing rod already even.

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have always called them "punts" but they come by the name "Jon Boats" these days.
Punt is another good name to search for thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Aye, I do believe it's a punt - I remember that from a piece on a variety of fishing tinnies (Aussie slang for aluminium boats.)
The people I know call the aluminum boats tinners. There are some big lakes here but I really like fishing the small lakes anyway. Lots of little fish who will bite at a fly.
03-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I think "tinners"/"tinnies" is just another difference in slang names when you go across the Pacific.

We call bikers "bikies" and truckers "truckies" to give a few examples.

And crocs aren't that bad. If you can see, you're all right.

Same with sharks.
03-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Jon boats..

They come in 2ft increments..

8ft, 10ft, 12ft, 14ft, 16ft.. I've never seen an aluminum Jon Boat any longer than 16ft.

I own a 10ft'er and it slides through 6 inches of water, holds about 550lbs max load - best with 400lbs though. They come in two basic designs, one seems to be a southern-backwater-swamp type that has very bowed out and low-rise gunwales. This type is NOT good for anything other than perfectly calm swamps etc. The other seems to be a more northern design for rivers and lakes and such with a taller more vertical gunwale. I recommend the latter as it works equally as well regardless of the location and provides more stability.