Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first 'True' Pentax was an original 1986 P30. I bought it early last year as my re-introduction to 35mm film photography.

The very first camera that I ever got to use was my fathers RICOH KR-5 (PK mount) way back in 1984 when I was 10. I think I also used my father's Russian Zorki 4S some time a couple of years later.

My very first 35mm that I owned myself was a Praktica BCA (aperture-priority only) in 1989. I had two PB Zeiss lenses covering 35-70 and 70-210 with a 50mm and a 28mm to boot. I added in a fully manual BC1 body in 1990.

Those got replaced by a RICOH KR-10M (PK mount) in 1992 after the Praktica kit got forcibly stolen from me The KR10M had a pair of PK-A mount Centon zooms (manufactured by Cosina?) covering 28-70 and 70-210mm. I used that until the shutter died in 2000.

In 2002 I got yet another RICOH body, this time an XR-20sp which is a lovely machine. I still have that one and admittedly don't use it anywhere near as much as I would like to.

Right now, from Pentax I have a P30, P30t and a *ist 35mm w/grip. Also add to that a whole slew of SMC-M Prime lenses that I have picked up recently.

Personally, I love Pentax gear and the fact that it is different from Canikon gear. It's nice to be able to talk camera's with people and show them great shots and then see their faces when I tell 'em I shoot Pentax and Ricoh. Hell, I even have an old Fujica ST605n and Praktica MTL3 kicking around somewhere that I still shoot with from time to time!

02-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My First Pentax

Here is a picture of my first Pentax I owned when I was at Architectural School. The school bought about one hundred and we all had to have one.

Last edited by benjikan; 03-19-2007 at 04:16 PM.
02-28-2007, 02:15 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Her is a picture of my first Pentax I owned when I was at Architectural School. The school bought about one hundred and we all had to have one.
It obviously had far kinder treatment than any of mine!
02-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Haha my first SLR was a Canon Rebel (First Gen.) and a 35-80 4-5.6 kit that I got at some warehouse for $129.99. The body DOA so I had it exchanged for another one. (Canon Rebel II). I was still new to photography but was techie enough to understand that the 300D Digital Rebel was making waves. I thought..$130...my own camera?..why not? Shot at the Autoshow. Got nice punchy shots. However I lost alot of photos to AF errors and at the time I knew relatively nothing on how to use the P, Tv, Av, M and stuff and was shooting in Green Mode. P&S cameras only teaches you to be creative if you are willing to be.

Not longer after, I traded my Canon camera and lens for what looked like a brand new Pentax MZ-M body and a beat up cosina made Vivitar 35-70/3.5-4.8. The shop owner had two sitting on the shelf collecting dust. Much to my advantage, he valued the Canon logo much more and was willing to trade me the pentax. I checked back recently and lo and behold my Canon Rebel II w/ lens was still sitting there in the front display case after all this time. Haha.

Viewfinder on the MZ-M was gorgeous let me tell you that. Never seen anything so crisp. Been on KMount and manual focusing ever since.

02-28-2007, 07:34 AM   #35
Veteran Member

My first Pentax is my K100D I have used a few Pentax film SLR cameras in the past but this is the first one that I can really call my own.
02-28-2007, 07:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

One thing that seemed to plague my Mz-M was dust in the viewfinder...stupid pentamirrors...and then my GX-1L starting having dust in the viewfinder too.

-_-
02-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first Pentax was a MZ-10, with a FA28-200mm. Shot alot with that, lenses accumulated, finally migrated to the Z-1, and kept the MZ-10 as a second body.

My DS arrived 2 years ago. Shot one roll through the Z-1, the MZ10 hasn't seen anything since.

dk
02-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started photography late. I bought a Pentax ZX-5n around 2002. Shot about 50 rolls of film with it. I got it from Adorama along with a Sigma 75-300 f4.0-5.6 and a Tamron 28-80 3.5-? Still have both lenses and body tho I don't use them much. To be truthful, the Sigma isn't a very good lens, I should get rid of it. I went digital with the DS in 2005. I also found a Vivitar V4000s at a local garage sale. It's a fully manual camera, based on the K1000. It now has B&W film in it. I occasionally take it out for a spin. One of theses days if I ever get a scanner I'll post some.

NaCl(just what I need, more computer/photo gear)H2O

02-28-2007, 08:56 PM   #39

My first Pentax was a Honeywell Pentax H1a sometime around 1967. Used it for years then sold it to my brother-in-law who still has it.

My most recent Pentax is a K-mount Super Program that arrived this week. Not new, of course

Gene
03-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I just bought my 1st Pentax, K110D, my first camera was a Ricoh KR-5 which i still have. Bought it back in 1980 from the now defunct Fox Photo. These cameras are built like a tank !! It has been dropped on concrete < no case > dropped into a river, , i had it in a boat wrapped in what i thought was a waterproof bag, when i took it out of the bag, water literally RAN out of the body, lol, and after all of this, it STILL works as well as ever.
03-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #41

Weird..

I thought I'd replied to this...

My first Pentax was a good ol' Pentax SuperProgram. I had the thing for 6 years, and it was only in the last year or so of owning it that I really started to learn what all the settings were for. When I went to the Ds in 2005, and didn't have to worry about paying out the nose for all the film developing, that is when I really went in leaps and bounds towards understanding photography.

Now I find myself in a bit of a rut.. but I'll always remember the good times I had with that SuperProgram, and wish I still had it some days.
04-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Pentax MZ50 with kit 35-80 in the late ninties...everyone wanted to borrow it because of the quality of prints produced were amazing in terms of colours and resolution. Then i went and tried to clean the mirror and lens with something i shouldnt have currently serves as a reminder to never mess with the mirror.
04-15-2007, 03:09 PM   #43
Pentaxian

My first was a community K1000 used by my graphic arts class in high school, circa '92. The first one that was mine to keep was a ZX-M in 1999. (LOL i just posted it for sale in the marketplace section... I'd love to keep it, but I want to own a good prime for the first time in my life)

I got an *ist 35mm later on, but I've already sold that. (to pay for the K110D)

-Dan

Last edited by khardur; 04-15-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added some other info
04-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
I thought I'd replied to this...

My first Pentax was a good ol' Pentax SuperProgram. I had the thing for 6 years, and it was only in the last year or so of owning it that I really started to learn what all the settings were for. When I went to the Ds in 2005, and didn't have to worry about paying out the nose for all the film developing, that is when I really went in leaps and bounds towards understanding photography.

Now I find myself in a bit of a rut.. but I'll always remember the good times I had with that SuperProgram, and wish I still had it some days.
Haha one just came in from eekbay a few days ago. I still have film in my MZ-M (my first pentax camera) so I'm going to finish that first.

The numbers are a pain to see I find but the camera seems alright. I looked up the Power Grip A or w/e it was and it was quite pricey. Something like $80 on ebay?
04-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #45
Veteran Member

1976 - Pentax KM with 55mm f1.8 prime - camera misplaced by my son at some point still have the lens
1978 - Pentax MX with Sigma 35-80 zoom - still have the camera, the lens was lost with the KM
1985 - Pentax Program Plus with 50mm f1.7 lens - still have both...

gonna buy a KM to replace my original soon...

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-16-2007 at 03:59 AM.