Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Audio Speakers for DAD

let me say that I'm so happy to be getting an early Fathers' Day present from my lovely wife seeing me getting frustrated for a couple of days, weeks and months looking for a budget speaker and finally convincing her thru my power of persuasion (begging).

so yesterday, I got the go signal and just like that I was off to Electro-Land and got a set of Polk Audio T300 (formerly known as Monitor 30's). I'm not sure if these were the same quality as the old Monitor 30's or did some revisions but so far so good. I got these on sale which played a role on my wife's permission and the other having a pity on me. I did some research about these and these speakers are difficult to find some info considering they were recently renamed and were discontinued for a bit a while now.

I bought these from advice of some of our good members here and I can't thank them enough for their help but it is indeed a task looking for one and not that easy. I was originally planning on purchasing a soundbar part of improving and at the same time downsizing our HDTV's sound system and freeing from clutters due to our small living room setup. but was persuaded into buying some HiFi speaker set instead although not that really space deterrent considering the 2 speakers were just 6x10x8 inches each. I made my decision on these basing on the overwhelming positive feedback and since the Wharfedale's which I were also considering were not that available nor easily to get from my location.

so I plug these directly to my existing 5.1 amplifier/receiver and replaced the other 4 satellites. I have now a 3.1 setup although I've been thinking about cutting the speaker wires on powered satellite speaker for an exclusive 2.1 setup since the weak satellite speaker could cause some problem at the higher volume output and is meddling with the sound staging in a certain way.

now about T300 speakers, I'd say they are great for my needs and somehow met my expectations, especially for the price that I paid for them which is a bargain. the sound produced were clean, clear, detailed and sharp. the distinction between sounds were recognizable especially on the higher end of the sound spectrum. but ultimately, I got what I was after which is voice clarity. the isolation of each distinct sound made it easier to hear the conversation even at lower volumes. instruments are now present or existing. I'd say voice clarity is just about excellent although I feel that there are better results. they do however give some real excellent clarity with higher frequency which makes them best served as rear speakers but not saying they can't do front or pseudo-center channel. the bass output is very good in my opinion and enough to give that brief or intermediate thump or punch. not too heavy that would disturb the neighbors or muddy the entire room with disturbing vibrating sounds. they can stand alone if you are after easy listening with moderate thump. but if you want that ground-shaking boom and thump, you'll need a subwoofer for it. the subwoofer I have for it is not excellent but does the job on certain levels. I guess that would be my next purchase and possibly a better amplifier. hoping for christmas to come soon.

as far as the boss is concerned, she pretty much appreciate the purchase now that she could enjoy easy listening clarity without pumping out the volume to annoying levels.

06-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
YEA.. glad you like them...