Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-20-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Why not just have him turn off the cell portion and instead use the wifi features of the phone?
I am assuming the phone can connect to a wireless router?
When I travel abroad I use Skype to talk to my family via wireless using any free wi-fi access point such as my hotel or a Starbucks.
Other apps you can use are Tango or Voxxer.
His phone will be able to do what you suggest (Galaxy S3 is similar in capabilities as IPhone), but if you mean activating roaming with our SP in South Africa, data will work out at about US35 cents/25kB. He plans to take a lot of photo's with his phone and either e-mail them or upload to Google drive or something like that. At that rate it is still very expensive, so much easier to get a sim card as he arrives in the USA, even if only for data, and using Skype, Whatsapp e-mail etc..

EDIT: Just for info, call rates on roaming with our SP, is about US$2/minute

06-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
His phone will be able to do what you suggest (Galaxy S3 is similar in capabilities as IPhone), but if you mean activating roaming with our SP in South Africa, data will work out at about US35 cents/25kB. He plans to take a lot of photo's with his phone and either e-mail them or upload to Google drive or something like that. At that rate it is still very expensive, so much easier to get a sim card as he arrives in the USA, even if only for data, and using Skype, Whatsapp e-mail etc..

EDIT: Just for info, call rates on roaming with our SP, is about US$2/minute
I don't mean activating roaming.
I mean turn off the cellular feature entirely and only use the phone as a wi-fi device using the communication apps I mentioned.
As long as he can limit calls to when he has free wi-fi access it should cost nothing.
06-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Why not just have him turn off the cell portion and instead use the wifi features of the phone?
I am assuming the phone can connect to a wireless router?
When I travel abroad I use Skype to talk to my family via wireless using any free wi-fi access point such as my hotel or a Starbucks.
Other apps you can use are Tango or Voxxer.
Yup. Agree 100%
Skype is your friend and I use it for ALL of my overseas communication needs.
My Galaxy Tab 7 is my email, GPS and Skype platform.
06-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yup. Agree 100% Skype is your friend and I use it for ALL of my overseas communication needs. My Galaxy Tab 7 is my email, GPS and Skype platform.
altopiet:
Try it at home to make sure it will work for you.
Put the phone in Airplane mode or whatever setting to disconnect the cellular signal but make sure wireless is working.
Install one of the mentioned apps on both your phones.
For Skype and most apps you will each have to get an account ID so you can find each other and add to your contacts in the app.
Try having a conversation using the app.
Pretty sure you will find it is just like using the cell phone, but without the cell system charges.

06-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry, I see what you mean, using Wifi he won't need data (head slap for self) I'll get him to google all the places he'll be visiting and staying, and find out about that one, that seems like a brilliant suggestion!
06-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Sorry, I see what you mean, using Wifi he won't need data (head slap for self) I'll get him to google all the places he'll be visiting and staying, and find out about that one, that seems like a brilliant suggestion!
Everywhere in the US you are not far from a Starbucks if you have no other options for free wi-fi. Store Locator | Starbucks Coffee Company
Main thing for him to remember is DO NOT turn on cellular from the point he gets on his flight out until he steps off the return flight home.
Even one minute of turning on the cellular service in the US will be charges you don't want.
If he wants to text his friends have him install a texting app that works over wireless.
06-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #22
pdo

Either Starbuck or McDonald's have free wifi.

06-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I think our problem is solved now thanks to all your suggestions, much appreciated!
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Cheapest option is to purchase one of the prepaid units here. I used to bring my local phone on travels to USA but the roaming charges was ridiculous.
I picked up a AT&T prepaid unit on sale from bestbuy for $2.99 (yes two dollars) and just loaded it up with $15.00

It's easy on the pocket and when you lose it while travelling it is ok as it doesn't cost that much