Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Travel to USA, best mobile communication options?

Hi, my son will be visiting the USA for a week at the end of the month as part of a group of members of the Golden Key International Honour Society | Scholar Laureate – Delegations For Career Exploration . My problem is communication with him while he's there. Mobile roaming cost with our SP in South Africa is very expensive. He has a Samsung S3 phone, would he be able to get hold of a sim card and some sort of pre-paid data plan when he arrives, to allow us to communicate via text or Whatsapp, that would not cost us an arm and a leg? The Rand dollar exchange rate is about 10/1 at the moment...

Any advice will be welcome, he is the first in the family to travel abroad, so we haven't got a clue about such matters

06-18-2013, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

This might be of help
The Best Prepaid SIM Cards | PCMag.com
06-18-2013, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
pdo

Tmobile plan with 100 minutes talk and unlimited data and text would be best..its what I am using, but make sure the phone is unlock though..
06-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
pdo

And dont forget to order prepaid sim card activation kit from tmobile in advance though..cost is $10_$15 for activation kit.

06-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the info, I'll follow up on it in the morning

Last edited by altopiet; 06-18-2013 at 10:48 PM.
06-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
pdo

Oops forgot to mention that plan is $30 a month...lol..sorry
06-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks pdo, I'm actually just looking for a pre-paid option, he'll only be there for a week.
Thanks KX57XR, I'll have a look at the various options they suggest.

06-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
All wireless carriers probably offer prepaid plans. They also call them "pay as you go" plans. Depending on the location he is going to be visiting, you might want to check the coverage map of the carrier in that area. Usually Verizon has the best coverage. AT&T and T-Mobile are the only two major GSM carriers in the US. As far as I understand, T-Mobile is not known for good coverage, but this may not be a problem in a major metropolitan area. If his phone is 4G LTE capable then he maybe able to avail service from other non-GSM carriers depending on his phone capabilities (note: GS3 has several variants - Samsung Galaxy S III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If you need service for just a week then it maybe economical to buy AT&T prepaid for $2/day unlimited or even the $0.1/min plan (Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, GoPhone Plans, & Prepaid Smartphone plans from AT&T). Also, you can buy prepaid phone cards at most airports.

I use an app called talkatone when i travel abroad. The app uses google voice and allows you to make calls to US/Canada phone numbers using data service. If you can get a wi-fi service you can use it to make calls. Most airports have wi-fi and here in the US many restaurants and coffee shops offer free wi-fi. But this may not work for your son since I don't think talkatone can make calls to non-US numbers. But there maybe other apps that let you call SA numbers over wi-fi - something to explore.
06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I guess I don't see the point in this - why must he have a mobile phone?
06-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by debmalya Quote
All wireless carriers probably offer prepaid plans. They also call them "pay as you go" plans. Depending on the location he is going to be visiting, you might want to check the coverage map of the carrier in that area. Usually Verizon has the best coverage. AT&T and T-Mobile are the only two major GSM carriers in the US. As far as I understand, T-Mobile is not known for good coverage, but this may not be a problem in a major metropolitan area. If his phone is 4G LTE capable then he maybe able to avail service from other non-GSM carriers depending on his phone capabilities (note: GS3 has several variants - Samsung Galaxy S III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). If you need service for just a week then it maybe economical to buy AT&T prepaid for $2/day unlimited or even the $0.1/min plan (Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, GoPhone Plans, & Prepaid Smartphone plans from AT&T). Also, you can buy prepaid phone cards at most airports.

I use an app called talkatone when i travel abroad. The app uses google voice and allows you to make calls to US/Canada phone numbers using data service. If you can get a wi-fi service you can use it to make calls. Most airports have wi-fi and here in the US many restaurants and coffee shops offer free wi-fi. But this may not work for your son since I don't think talkatone can make calls to non-US numbers. But there maybe other apps that let you call SA numbers over wi-fi - something to explore.
Thanks for the info, I don't think we'll have to talk at all as long as we can e-mail and Whatsapp, as long as there is some data plan included, we should be fine. I know our phones in RSA are unlocked, by law SP's are not allowed to lock the phones, I'll just check on the GS3 variants. The trip will only be to New York and Philadelphia
06-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

If he's only going to be there a week, then maybe this $10/month prepaid plan would work? There are also unlimited plans that run $30+.

https://www.airvoicewireless.com/plans-2/10-plan/
International Calling to any country! Call customer service at 1-888-944-2355 for rates!
He would also need to get a hold of an Airvoice SIM card, not sure if they ship to Australia...

I'm not a big phone user and I just started this plan out at the beginning of the month and no complaints so far. Brought an unlocked iPhone, popped the SIM card in, went online and filled out the activation form, and boom; had service within a few minutes.
06-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #12

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Can he access wifi with his phone? If so many places offer access to wifi for free. Alternatively I purchased a disposable phone for $10 and 2 hours of minutes for $20. The allowed me to call home and make local calls for a minimal amount. The brand I used was tracfone (TracFone Wireless | Prepaid Cell Phone | Pay As You Go | No Contract Cell Phone).
06-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I just want to throw it out there, but I'm a big fan of WorldSim: prepaid SIM card, roams world-wide at very, very low prices (receive incoming calls for free almost everywhere, very low prices for outgoing calls). Remains valid "forever", and wherever you go.

I've acquired one, and I love it.

(And yes, they do have a referral program giving a kick-back to an existing subscriber recommending a new recruit - but I'm not posting a link, that's not why I recommend them....)
06-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, we'll study them all this weekend. He would like to use his own phone, and will take it with him, but if there is no other way, he'll have to buy one there, although after all your tips, I'm sure he'll be fine with his own phone.
Thanks again!
06-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not just have him turn off the cell portion and instead use the wifi features of the phone?
I am assuming the phone can connect to a wireless router?
When I travel abroad I use Skype to talk to my family via wireless using any free wi-fi access point such as my hotel or a Starbucks.
Other apps you can use are Tango or Voxxer.

Last edited by crewl1; 06-19-2013 at 11:18 PM.