Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ever been in this airline situation?

So your camera roller bag passes check-in, however the other guy seated next to you is also using a camera roller bag and both does not fit the overhead compartment and everyone`s else is like crammed with carry on bags.

How did you handle it?

06-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
The closest I've been to your situation was when I landed up on a puddle jumper and my backpack with my camera gear was taken from me and placed in cargo. I didn't have my wits about me and never knew I could contest this demand for my bag. It faired well, but I got smart on the next flight and said it was carryon bag and I was carrying it on. They let me carry it on without any further ado. Since I am handicapped, I board first so I always have plenty of space to stash my stuff(as long as I can keep hold of it ).
06-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The attendant will usually either find space, or gate check it. No other choice really.
06-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #4

Carry on luggage is supposed to small enough to stow under the seats. That's why they have to size check baskets at the gate. Unless you have a bulkhead seat stow it under the seat in front of you.

06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Pull out all the briefcases and other small bags that are supposed to go under the seat until you have enough room for your bag.
You will know who the owners are because they will complain when you pull out their bag.
If you want to be nice you can hand it to them.
If they are rude just leave their briefcase in the aisle.
06-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is why I always recommend that people only carry a small, under seat bag onto the plane with them. If I was going to Europe I'd still only pack one small case that I can fit under a seat in front of me. The way I look at it they have clothes where I am going. They have toiletries where I am going. The only thing that matters to me is taking a camera and 2-3 lenses. Other than that the only thing I pack other than what I am wearing is a long t-shirt to sleep in first night and some extra underwear. Seriously. I'd rather buy a junk duffle and some cheap clothes and toiletries at Walgreens than haul all that to where ever I am going.
06-23-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Airlines may be really cooperative if you paid a lot for your ticket or are a steady valuable customer. Or they may shrug and only do the bare minimum for you.
06-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
This is why I always recommend that people only carry a small, under seat bag onto the plane with them. If I was going to Europe I'd still only pack one small case that I can fit under a seat in front of me. The way I look at it they have clothes where I am going. They have toiletries where I am going. The only thing that matters to me is taking a camera and 2-3 lenses. Other than that the only thing I pack other than what I am wearing is a long t-shirt to sleep in first night and some extra underwear. Seriously. I'd rather buy a junk duffle and some cheap clothes and toiletries at Walgreens than haul all that to where ever I am going.
That would have to be an awfully small bag to fit clothes for an international trip into something small enough to fit under your seat...the same place your feet would need to be for 6-10 hours, depending on the destination. Why not pack and check a normal size bag and put your small camera bag in the overhead. I fly internationally a dozen or more times and year and have never had a problem with that plan of action.

Jason