Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
San Francisco trip this August

Any advice on must see and must do fun stuff? Downside is I only have 2 full days as the third day will be in Napa Valley for a wedding.

Never been to Napa but I've been to SFO a decade or so ago. I remember enjoying GG Bridge, Wharf, Chinatown, Alcatraz, crooked street. My gf has never been so I don't mind doing all that again. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Also, any thoughts on the best location for night time photos of the Golden Gate? I also saw some images of Reyes Point (or something) and would like to take photos of that scenery as well.

Thanks in advance.

06-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I also saw some images of Reyes Point (or something) and would like to take photos of that scenery as well.
Point Reyes is in Marin County, the peninsula on the other side of the GG Bridge. It would take a very large chunk of one of your days getting there from SF and back, but a detour on your way North to Napa may work out.
06-24-2013, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Talk to @MikeSF
06-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jim.

I guess we could start early, make the detour....but not sure if we'd make it to the 5 PM wedding considering we'd have to shower when we get to Napa and get prettied up for my friend's wedding. Maybe we just do the 2 hour winery tours in Napa.

Hmmm.

06-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

I went to the Bay Area last Christmas for a vacation. Although it was a bit touristy, I got some great pictures by taking a one-hour SF bay cruise (the Blue & Gold Fleet) that departed tourist-hell Pier 39. The ship sails UNDER the GG Bridge so you can get awesome vantage point, and also nice shots of the city skyline too.

I also enjoyed the Bay Area Discovery Museum, located on Fort Baker, which is just across the GG Bridge in Marin County. My kid and her toddler cousins loved the museum. And it also offers a great view of the GG Bridge from the Marin side.

06-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Talk to @MikeSF
Thanks crewl1.

Mike gave me great tips when I went to San Diego too a few months ago. I'll definitely send him a PM.
06-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yellowbrick Quote
I went to the Bay Area last Christmas for a vacation. Although it was a bit touristy, I got some great pictures by taking a one-hour SF bay cruise (the Blue & Gold Fleet) that departed tourist-hell Pier 39. The ship sails UNDER the GG Bridge so you can get awesome vantage point, and also nice shots of the city skyline too.

I also enjoyed the Bay Area Discovery Museum, located on Fort Baker, which is just across the GG Bridge in Marin County. My kid and her toddler cousins loved the museum. And it also offers a great view of the GG Bridge from the Marin side.
Awesome yellowbrick. These will help a lot. Thank you.
06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Forum Member

Awesome yellowbrick. These will help a lot. Thank you.
You're welcome! One advice for planning your short visit -- I assume you'll need to cross the GG Bridge to head up to Napa for the wedding, so that would be a good opportunity to stop at Fort Baker, or anywhere in the Marin Headlands, to get some gorgeous shots looking back (south) at the city. If you have time, you may also want to take a ferry to Angel Island State Park and go for a nice hike. Real pretty views from there as well.

One more thing -- although I haven't seen it yet, I heard that the Bay Bridge is really awesome at night right now because of a new LED art show installation. You could go for a nice evening/sunset walk along the Embarcadero, stop at the Ferry Building and get some dinner, and then take in the view of the Bay Bridge.

06-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yellowbrick Quote
You're welcome! One advice for planning your short visit -- I assume you'll need to cross the GG Bridge to head up to Napa for the wedding, so that would be a good opportunity to stop at Fort Baker, or anywhere in the Marin Headlands, to get some gorgeous shots looking back (south) at the city. If you have time, you may also want to take a ferry to Angel Island State Park and go for a nice hike. Real pretty views from there as well.

One more thing -- although I haven't seen it yet, I heard that the Bay Bridge is really awesome at night right now because of a new LED art show installation. You could go for a nice evening/sunset walk along the Embarcadero, stop at the Ferry Building and get some dinner, and then take in the view of the Bay Bridge.
This is awesome stuff. Is Point Reyes anywhere around Fort Baker? I'll definitely check out Bay Bridge. If the LED art show is on, I'll take pics and post them on here. Really excited now. Thanks again.
06-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

We will also have America's Cup sailing events. Lot's of good info in this link.

San Francisco 2013 / America’s Cup
06-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Is Point Reyes anywhere around Fort Baker?
Point Reyes is about 30 minutes northwest of Fort Baker. It's such beautiful country out there, the Marin Headlands. I spent lots of time hiking there a long time ago. So scenic!!
06-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
We will also have America's Cup sailing events. Lot's of good info in this link.

San Francisco 2013 / America’s Cup
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Point Reyes is about 30 minutes northwest of Fort Baker. It's such beautiful country out there, the Marin Headlands. I spent lots of time hiking there a long time ago. So scenic!!
Awesome! We won't be able to cram all this in 2 days. If it were up to me, I'd do mostly photo ops but I will have to check with the gf to make sure so both pick the ones we like the best.

Thanks again folks.
06-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well... if you can convince the GF, this could be interesting... HOME PORT - Aircraft Carrier USS Hornet Museum

I was there a couple years ago with my wife and kids....they're still talking to me and I'm still married!

This is also quite interesting... Boudin at the Wharf

The cable cars are cool late at night when they're less busy and you can ride along hanging off in space... just watch for oncoming traffic!
06-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Boudin is a great place to stop for lunch (clam chowder in sourdough bread bowl-- yummm) when you're walking around Pier 39 and heading up to Ghirardelli Square for some chocolate!
06-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Ghirardelli Square for some chocolate!
Have you been there lately? I was there in December. It's no longer full of shops, (though there is still one chocolate shop) it's gone condo. High rent Yuppie/GenX apartments.