Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Very, Very, Very Large Format Camera Available

So, umm, if you have box truck or Semi, and a REALLY BIG studio, this 41" Camera is available for auction from the gov. : 6720 - Cameras, Still Picture at Government Liquidation -- note the rails for it are 19' long! =)

!c

03-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oh damn, another source of old cameras, and just as I'm managing to wean myself of shopgoodwill.com
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Was that the one the WhiteHouse bought to take Passport Photos of the big whigs?
03-18-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a camera that was used not so long ago to output films to "burn" printing plates for printing presses. Up to about 10 years ago, a lot of printers had this type of camera in different size according to their printing presses size. They have all been replaced by "computer to film" or "computer to plate" equipment. Now, the data is sent to the printer on a CD or DVD and laser equipment either expose the film or "burn" directly on the plates, saving a lot of time in manual work with films.

03-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
oh damn, another source of old cameras, and just as I'm managing to wean myself of shopgoodwill.com
Goodwill! Oh, no.....I have one not too far away and can invision a trip in the next few days....
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Goodwill! Oh, no.....I have one not too far away and can invision a trip in the next few days....
Oh it's far worse than that:

shopgoodwill.com - Welcome

Don't say I didn't warn ya. I've bought at very low prices a lot of junk, stuff that didn't work (a spottie and a lens) or I can't use (a Nikon zoom). But I did get a mint Tamron 90/2.5 macro - with the Nikon - for $41.
03-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

can you imagine trying to find film for that beast?!
03-18-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterdrone Quote
So, umm, if you have box truck or Semi, and a REALLY BIG studio, this 41" Camera is available for auction from the gov. : (snip)

Interesting. I wonder if that particular camera would be any good for small product photography, like a stove, refrigerator, or living room furniture suite. With a macro lens attached, it would certainly be a good way to seriously intimidate a bug or insect. The only thing missing is an built-in flash unit - a really big built-in flash unit.

stewart

03-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

You could always cover a sheet of cardboard with liquid emulsion for film. Thats the only way I can think of it working.

Would be fun to mess around with, no doubt.
03-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I wonder if i can fit it in my slingshot AW100 bag?
03-19-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Since the beast comes with a Nikon lens, I assume none of my Pentax glass will work with it.
03-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

2 please... only if they alow w/ adater the use of 35mm K mounts
03-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Interesting. I wonder if that particular camera would be any good for small product photography, like a stove, refrigerator, or living room furniture suite. With a macro lens attached, it would certainly be a good way to seriously intimidate a bug or insect. The only thing missing is an built-in flash unit - a really big built-in flash unit.

stewart
The lens on it IS a macro. It is mode to go from about 10% to 400%. As far as sharpness is concerned, it's afraid of nothing (but, then, the lens itself is worth a few thousands$. It also comes with it's dedicated lights (about 1000W X4)that generates far too much U.V. for what is good for your health (look at pictures 20 & 21). As far as films are concerned, they are very easy to find at just about any printer's supplyer (black & white only). But the processor for those films is something else too.
03-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, there you go. Macro lens and lights included. What a deal. Since there is only about 9 hours left, everyone best get those bids in. The current bid amount is $82. Of course, moving it, with those heavy beams, to another location within the USA will probably cost about 50x that amount. Then one would probably need heavy construction equipment and a work crew to assemble it. Then, I don't have a clue what one would actually photograph with it.

stewart
03-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't think one would have much luck sneaking it into concerts.