Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question for european users!

Hi everyone, I believe it's been over 4 months since I posted here.. I left sunny florida and moved to France.
Because of the awesome exchange rate right now, I would like to hear comments about some of you in Europe who bought lenses and cameras from the states....
How much money the customs are taking ? Are they always taking something or do you sometimes go unnoticed ?
I'm tempted by the K20 at b&h for $1350 with shipping, since it's only 870 euros after the change.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

03-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My brother in law got taxed for the k20d but not for the 16-50.

I guess it is linked to the size of the box as he had several items:
K20 + grip + sd 4 go + battery + bag
all the above for 1250 euros (including tax and mail) and the tax was 250 euros...

for 1200 eur you have the k20 body only in france at the moment.
03-19-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Large objects such as cameras will almost certainly end up costing you something extra.
If you have a friend in the US, you could ask him to buy them, "rough them up a bit" (i.e. take them out of the original packaging and take a few snaps, otherwise they will look like new), then send it to you as "used goods", because those are exempt from tax laws.

Also, because it's a Pentax, the customs officer won't have any clue wether it is new or not.
03-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
send it to you as "used goods", because those are exempt from tax laws.
Who told you this?

Used goods and gifts aren't exempt from customs. E.g., customs charge full duties on used EBay items, requiring you to show your paypal balance...

Own goods (goods already belonging to the importer, e.g., after a move into Europe) are free of charges. So, the OP could claim to have owned the goods before.

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Also, because it's a Pentax, the customs officer won't have any clue wether it is new or not.
You underestimate them... One customs employee at Frankfurt airport is even active member in a Pentax user forum. Guess where your items will end up if sent to Germany

I cannot tell for France. For Munich though, chances to pay 6.7% duties (on lenses) plus 19% VAT are about 80%. 20% of deliveries arrive duty-free, though

But he can shop duty-free everywhere in Europe. I.e., 1200 Euro for the body is too expensive, considering Europe as a whole. E.g., in Germany it is 1100 and falling.

03-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Who told you this?

Used goods and gifts aren't exempt from customs. E.g., customs charge full duties on used EBay items, requiring you to show your paypal balance...

Own goods (goods already belonging to the importer, e.g., after a move into Europe) are free of charges. So, the OP could claim to have owned the goods before.

My friend sent it to me, I didn't pay a thing.