Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Portraiture Video: Think you need a lot of gear?

wow, how good is this guy. Such a simple setup and such amazing images. Especially note his skills at posing the models, posing is so important!

Note the equipment he used:
Canon 5D
70-200 f2.8
1 canon 580EX flash fitted with sto-fen, fired by commander unit
1 video light (constant) /w barn doors

The video: https://www.theicesociety.biz/?module=blog&page=46&category=2

"I was about to take my first shot when Michel looked at my camera gear and asked, "Is that all the gear you have?"

I only had my Canon 5D with a 70-200 f2.8L IS USM Lens, Canon 580EX Speedlight and a Lowel id Video light. "This is all I need" I replied. My main light source was daylight coming through a single skylight."

03-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting, very good work and use of light.
03-19-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Wow! He is a very talented photographer! Beautiful work, and creative poses!
03-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Somehow I get the feeling that if I had gone in there with a k10d, 50-135, 540fgz and the same video light (ie same setup as him), I wouldnt have gotten anything even near as good if I saw the shots I wouldnt have guessed the setup was so simple.

btw, how cool is the furniture they had there? couldnt ask for more suitable props

03-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Somehow I get the feeling that if I had gone in there with a k10d, 50-135, 540fgz and the same video light (ie same setup as him), I wouldnt have gotten anything even near as good if I saw the shots I wouldnt have guessed the setup was so simple.
I'm sure any of us could have done the same thing if we had the same gear. Heck, we could have even done BETTER if we had a full light kit. After all, it's the gear, and not talent & imagination, that is the determining factor in our images, isn't it? (Sorry...had to throw that in.)
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This guy definitely knows how to work his gear. I probably need to watch the video 10 more times to truly appreciate the minimalist's approach.
03-20-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just proof that its how you manage the light you have that counts. He didn't need a fancy light setup because the basics were already in place. There appeared to be excellent ambient outdoor light coming in balanced by good inside lighting (which was probably daylight balanced). This is almost a given in a high-end store like this. After all, the store wants the purchaser to get a good look at how the gowns will look.

The use of his video light simply allowed the photographer to create the key lighting he wanted and resulted in some great images.

03-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
and
Veteran Member

Original Poster
he also used the color temp of the video light for a warm orange glow effect in some of the shots. he was shooting with daylight wb or close to it.