Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Wow, what a story. After your previous camera troubles I thought "Oh, no... poor guy, not again." So glad it had a happy ending. I once left a little P&S in a washroom when I was a kid. When I realized it 5 minutes later & went back, it was already gone. Never seen again. I hope they enjoyed the teenage girls' lame vacation photos.
I was going to say, you should contact a local paper, but someone already suggested it. Papers like good-news stories. Traveller wants to meet teens who helped him... perfect. Someone might see it & know who they are. I can't imagine you wouldn't get a local reporter to do a little blurb, but if they really aren't interested either, you could always take out an ad in the paper.
I enjoyed reading the story. "When" you do that photo book, your storytelling ability will also be useful

08-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Whoa...I have 14 missed calls in the span of meeting my family at the airport and driving them home, all from Ireland trying to get me to do print and radio interviews regarding that story thanks to it being published on Peta Pixel. I just checked my email from my photography website, which has a dedicated email account, and had almost 30 unread messages because of it.

Wow...

I Left My Camera Bag on a Train - PetaPixel

-Heie
08-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw your article this morning on Petapixel and it was pretty cool. Don't let that one commenter get to you - he seems to just be aggressively commenting on your article due to your profession.
08-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
thanks to it being published on Peta Pixel.
wow is right! First I read the story here which was quite the thriller and then I went to the article. The addition of your amazing images there completes the story and makes it such a powerful testament to the value/art of photography, and to how fortunate we are these days to have all the gear we have! Thanks for sharing!

08-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #35

Wow

Lovely to hear stories like this, and that there is still some decent people out there! I hope you find the girls!
08-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Oh, you were in a couple of the places in Ireland I saw on the Best Day Ever
Great photos -- looks like you had a blast. The girls are lucky to get to travel with such a cool brother.
(The Eiffel tower pic made me laugh. I just did this with a lighthouse & a visiting friend recently!)
08-12-2013, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Great job as per usual.

Your story would have made a great blog post too.

08-13-2013, 01:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just got the approval from one of my superiors and I will be on the radio (Ray D'Arcy Show on Irish radio station Today FM) this morning to talk about my story in the hopes of finding the girls!

If you have access to that radio station, tune in starting 0930 local Irish time!

I can't test it on my work computer (streaming is blocked), but I think you might be able to listen to it here: http://player.todayfm.com/player/

-Heie

Edit @ 25 minutes later - it's over Sorry for the short notice, but I had literally *just* gotten the approval. But she said that she would send me a copy of the audio from the interview so I will definitely post it here to share it with you guys. That was great!

--

Edit Number Two: Here is the blog post at the Today FM's website, and here you can listen to the full broadcast! They embedded it there, so just scroll down a little bit and you'll see it.

LIEUTENANT ALEX JANSEN WANTS TO SAY THANKS - Today FM

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 08-13-2013 at 06:17 AM.
08-13-2013, 09:54 PM   #39
Veteran Member

That was very entertaining. Nice to put a voice to the face & the stories. Hopefully among the silly texts, he'll get a tip. I know you'll keep us posted.
There's so much crap in the world between people, it's great to hear such a story about people doing something good for someone else. Renews one's faith in strangers.
Cheers
08-14-2013, 02:09 AM   #40
Veteran Member

This is a well written story.
Congrat on finding your gears back.
08-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Do you happen to have the car park's CCTV footage from that? I'd LOVE to watch it

Also, just curious because of your photo and your location...are you at Bragg? I will be there at the end of January for Civil Affairs Assessment and Selection, and assuming I get selected, I will PCS there next spring.

Sadly I don't have the CCTV footage despite having connections in the Sheriff's Office. As for the second question, no, I live in Raleigh and do most of my stuff (whatever it may be) in Raleigh.