Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Veteran Member

https://plus.google.com/+MikeShaw/posts?utm_source=chrome_ntp_icon

There is a photographer on G+ named Mike Shaw who does amazing work and talks quite a bit about his depression and occasional hospitalization. I think he has an online group that he participates in.

07-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

When I get a bout of depression even picking up a camera can seem like a waste of effort, I've been glued to the chair for days at a time. I sit there. look out of the window and see the sun shining, we live in a lovely place full of interest and natural beauty, and I love to walk in the woodlands and photograph the natural world around me. But I sit here, thinking about it, planning where I'll walk, choosing a camera and lenses. Then I start playing solitaire on the computer, I watch mindless videos on YouTube, the day passes and I'm still sat here.....

Or, I set a plan the night before. I choose the gear, choose the walk, and write it on a Post-It note that I stick to the top of the monitor. Just doing that simple thing gets me off my arse and out of the door. It's nothing more than an instruction to myself, and it works.
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not like you don't know when you are depressed, but you can't stop it. In my case, on a winters day, (or a long week or month of dreary weather) I have to wait it out. It's like waiting for the sun to rise....you know it will, but something keeps saying it may not this time.

For those with continued non-seasonal depression, it must be a horrific experience, one I am not sure I could cope with without some help. I'd certainly fight it with whatever help I could get and with any activity that would lift my spirits, even a little. Staying busy...at most anything...seems to be my best defense, maybe it is good for others too? Just having a taste of depression every winter has given me a real compassion for those in continual pain from this dreaded state of mind.

Interaction here on PF can help too.....mixing with others can lift you a little...or sometimes drive you totally insane!

Best of Luck!
Rupert
07-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suffer from a bit of depression, and to answer the OP, I find that taking photos is a really therapeutic pastime. I feel great when I get a shot that looks good, (to me at least), but the flipside is that I can only feel motivated to pick up the camera when i'm already fairly positive.
And a Sunday morning blast on my mountain bike works wonders too.

Regards

08-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I don't know that I'd consider myself in a depression(per say), though I would consider myself in what I'd call a photographers depression. And that's to say that I have lost all sense of desire and/or motivation to do anything photography wise and can't seem to ever change no matter what. ie. I thought buying into a FF system would change that, but my kit has been sitting on the shelf since the day it was purchased and I'm no more motivated to pick it up and shoot with it than before I got it. To which I'd add, is quite depressing in itself. Needless, to say, I'm pretty discouraged about the whole deal. My wife is also depressed as photography was something that we very much did together and so it affects her as well. So much so, that she even offered to buy me a MF camera in hopes that it would wake up my senses. To which I'd add, I was somewhat tempted to say yes, just to get one, though I honestly don't think this would do anything to change my feelings toward photography.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to get that magic back into my life.
When one has vast experience, and nothing seems new and exciting anymore, perhaps the way to regain that passion might be through those to whom it is new, and wonderful, and exciting - teaching, mentoring, passing on knowledge. Enthusiasm is contagious - if you have it, it will emanate from you, and if you're around it, it will invigorate you. But doing it alone will get you to a dead end.
08-02-2013, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #21

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I have been struggling with depression off and on for a few years right now and would like to hear others that used photography to help you "recover" be it a book about it or what ever, just some personal experiences

thanks

many things to be thankful for but sometimes a struggle to see them

cheers

randy
Hi Randy,

Depression for me is part of a much larger medical mess (it's actually called Secondary Depression as it is resulting from another condition or in my case multiple chronic conditions). The Reader's Digest version of what's wrong with me is simply a large number of chronic muscular-skeletal conditions - some of which are auto-immune based, that cause considerable pain and affect my ability to function both physically and mentally. Since October of 2010 I've been on long term disability and since there is no cure for my many conditions, there is no chance of being able to return to work. I give you all of this just to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

I started my DSLR photography journey almost a year after I had been off work. I needed to kindle something I loved but didn't remind me of the things I couldn't do anymore (there's a long list). Ironically 2 weeks before the LTD Insurance Co cut me off I bought my K-r and a DA55-300. I debated for a few minutes to take it back after they cut my off, but thankfully I kept it - even though I fought the insurance co for 6 months before they reinstated me. It was a miserable time, but my K-r kept me sane,

Here's what works for me - for the most part recognizing that sometimes it's really hard to swing things the other way:

Photography - one of the best things I ever did was buy the K-r. For those days when I am finding things really difficult it might not work, but generally a successful shoot (and it often is out of my windows since getting around can be difficult) can help raise me up. When I was finding it difficult to get motivated I joined the Single in Challenge. This has 3 great benefits for the mind with the added bonus of helping you improve your photography. First it gives you are reason to pick up your camera every day. Second you interact with other with comments on the rest of the groups shots. Finally the warm and fuzzies you get with great comments and constructive input can really make your day.

As others have mentioned exercise does help - although getting motivated to get out there and do something can be really hard. I have resorted to self bribery even when it completely contradicts the health benefits of exercise.

Talk to someone who gets you. I do it online with a support group of fellow victims. It easier to talk with likeminded souls simply because explaining ourselves to "normals" is sometimes harder than living with the illnesses. We chat about practically everything, from how we are feeling and coping to what we are doing and planning. Unloading there grounds me as I can't write about all the things that make me miserable as no-one wants to read it. I also make sure I add the positive too, this makes it more interesting for others to read and more importantly makes me see the positive things in my life. Make sure you find the right group as there are a lot out there that can bring you down rather than build you up. If you don't find it beneficial, move on and try another.

When I started to find myself withdrawing and being at home a lot I plucked up the courage to volunteer. Once a week I visit with the residents of a seniors' home. It's an obligation that makes me get out of the house once a week for about 4 hours. When I set it up, I spoke to the volunteer coordinator and said I like to play cards is there any interest from the residents. Yes was the answer and for 4 years I've been playing cribbage every Wednesday afternoon. I have a regular partner who misses me terribly when I'm too sick to visit. This helps motivate to to show up and I benefit from our interaction.

I am sure there is more that I do, but at this late hour I am drawing a blank. If anything else comes to minds I'll let you know.

Take care,

Stevi (aka bigted)
08-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you looked into light therapy? This is an often successful treatment, especially for those with the "winter blues." Google "seasonal affective disorder" and you should find light therapy. Of course photography outside would do much of the same thing and be more fun. And as others have suggested there are medications which may prove useful. Above all don't feel that you have to struggle alone, your post here suggests that you've realised this already. Good luck, hang in there, don't give up to the "Black Dog."

08-03-2013, 10:22 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Veteran Member

Depression hits every living being at times, I do believe. My 87 year old Mom is the most "up" person I have ever known, but once in a while, she gets the "blues". We all do. I've even had dogs that suffered a little bout of being "down". So we all can relate to it, but for those that have chronic depression, it is a different ballgame, and a serious one.
You have to help your friends, try to lift them up, keep them encouraged, keep them active, make them know you care. Make them get help if necessary, Don't let up, don't give up, you may be the last chance they have and not even realize it.

1992....I was laid up at home with a broken ankle, crushed to the point of almost being amputated.....a dislocated shoulder that had been reset but was still in a sling....all form a fall off a roof. Mrs Rupert worked every day, and I sat in the living room watching TV or talking with my dog companion, my best friend...and looking out the front glass door at whatever there was to view in the world that was out of bounds for me at the time.
Around 11am, the Mail-lady came to our box on the street, and I decided to try and venture out on my single crutch and get the mail. When I got to the box, the girl across the street arrived at her mailbox and we exchanged eye contact......but said nothing. Being a big-mouth, it is rare that I miss any opportunity to open up and start a conversation, but I was in a lot of pain, worried if I could get back to the house, and "let it go".
She was 17, not glamorous, a little overweight, and surely not a part of the "in-crowd" in High School. A little shy or introverted from what I had noticed the year or so they had lived across the street. I knew her parents, they were very friendly nice people, and we spoke often when we crossed paths. I had wondered that day if the girl was sick, and why she wasn't in school, but it was momentarily and my thoughts went back to my own problems.
That afternoon around 3pm, I saw a Sheriff Deputy arrive and park in the drive of her home. Was she in trouble? Was there something happening over there I didn't catch? A short time later, the Justice of the Peace and an ambulance arrived at about the same time. I knew the JP very well, he was an old friend, so I hobbled out when I later saw him leave the house and confronted him as to what was happening?
With tears in his eyes, he told me the young girl had called her Mom at noon and told her "goodbye". The Mom didn't take her seriously, but when she called back later she got no answer and called the Sheriff. The girl had overdosed and was dead. She had been suffering from severe depression for a long time, but they thought it was under control......obviously, it wasn't.
How many times have I regretted not opening my big mouth that morning? Thousands. Would it have made any difference? I will never know, but I do know I never miss a chance to make sure my eyes are not the last ones a person sees without a word or two, at least.

It might be a "little thing", but if you can do it, it might be the difference for someone on the edge. If it is a friend you know, then it is imperative that you go the mile with them, you may be the only thing that gets them through a crisis.

Regards
08-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bigted Quote
Hi Randy,

Depression for me is part of a much larger medical mess (it's actually called Secondary Depression as it is resulting from another condition or in my case multiple chronic conditions). The Reader's Digest version of what's wrong with me is simply a large number of chronic muscular-skeletal conditions - some of which are auto-immune based, that cause considerable pain and affect my ability to function both physically and mentally. Since October of 2010 I've been on long term disability and since there is no cure for my many conditions, there is no chance of being able to return to work. I give you all of this just to give you an idea of where I am coming from.

Stevi (aka bigted)

Sounds a bit similar to some of what I go through. Not knowing the details, have you ever tried the supplement 'SAM-e?' It's a bit pricey, but helps put some precursor chemicals into my system that my adrenal glands are always coming up short on. Seems to be not such a blunt instrument as DHEA was. (Which stuff did a lot of good but also kicked me into the state that wore out those systems in the first place. This other supplement can help a lot if your system's short on some chemicals and nutrients. If your system can't make enough dopamine, a) things will hurt more, and b) A lot of things may just feel un-rewarding because your sense of something being rewarding or worthwhile to do come in large part from your brain saying, 'Make a little dopamine.' Helps to have some of the stuff to make it out of in your system.

But, just in general, something that helps me when photographically-unmotivated is to just get out the old winder-driven cameras most familiar to me and burn some frames. I tend to drop into the shooting zone and it feels a lot better to get rolling than sit and think about it. If only I had like a similar 'Processing the filom backlog' zone.
08-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

No doubt photography can help bring a little joy into a gloomy day or a day with not much rewarding at hand......

Come on Ava...let's get happy! You can do it, I'll try to help!
[IMG] [/IMG]

It's not always that easy, but you can still try!
[IMG] [/IMG]

Smiling girls, happy babies, funny squirrels, lovely blooms, gorgeous sunsets...it's all out there for us! We don't want to be the missing link!

Regards!
08-31-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have been struggling with depression off and on for a few years right now and would like to hear others that used photography to help you "recover" be it a book about it or what ever, just some personal experiences

thanks

many things to be thankful for but sometimes a struggle to see them

cheers

randy
Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I am doing better then ever thanks to the miracle called "proper medication"

Cheers

Randy
08-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I am doing better then ever thanks to the miracle called "proper medication"

Cheers

Randy
Yup, it can work wonders!
08-31-2013, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Whatever works for you, it is worthwhile. Everyone is different, everyone is a special case. I had one of these the other night, although I wasn't depressed, just a little weary. All of a sudden I felt great! If Mrs Rupert hadn't spoiled it with a "headache" it would have been even better!

Regards!

[IMG] [/IMG]
08-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Whatever works for you, it is worthwhile. Everyone is different, everyone is a special case. I had one of these the other night, although I wasn't depressed, just a little weary. All of a sudden I felt great! If Mrs Rupert hadn't spoiled it with a "headache" it would have been even better!

Regards!

[/url] [/IMG]
While I realize you meant it to be humorous, alcohol is a depressant and should not be used by someone suffering from depression. Not to mention that many anti-depressant medicines specifically warn against alcohol consumption.
08-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Cheers

Randy
Good to hear and hoping that all continues well ... Photography has done a lot for me ... Salut, J