Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 04:56 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
4 TB RAID level 5 array (shared with other stuff).

With Blu-Ray's recent win, I plan to burn Blu-Ray disks (BD) for off site backup.

Unlike DVD, DVD recordables and HD-DVD, but like rare DVD-Ram, BD is said to last 30 years...

03-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Does anyone print the good ones? No better archival medium. The question is, when you become old and feeeble who is going to maintain, keep current all those files? I think people are too attached to every last file, if its not a keeper its not a keeper. Save all those storage costs, get a pigment based printer and some archival paper. Instead of spending all that time burning and backing up, do some printing. ch
03-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crescent City Quote
Does anyone print the good ones? No better archival medium. The question is, when you become old and feeeble who is going to maintain, keep current all those files? I think people are too attached to every last file, if its not a keeper its not a keeper. Save all those storage costs, get a pigment based printer and some archival paper. Instead of spending all that time burning and backing up, do some printing. ch
While we're at it, lets just throw our film negatives away too! After all who need the originals, or those extra negatives you never printed.

03-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Save all those storage costs, get a pigment based printer and some archival paper. Instead of spending all that time burning and backing up, do some printing. ch
Yes, spend ten times the time and money to print'em all and still wonder why the ink isn't lasting... Of course, printing is much more fun than copying, I agree

03-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #35
Veteran Member

I use Aperture, so after I shoot something I download it to my computer, do all my picks and minor edits, then export the new PEF+XMP sidecar files and burn to CD's using a program called Disco. I maintain a Vault on a seperate 250 gig hard drive, and when I upgrade my macbooks hard drive I plan on putting it in an inclosure and using it as a second hard drive to store at a different location. Only after I've updated the vault and burnt the CDs do I wipe the SD cards.

I now have three copies of each file: one on my mac harddrive, one on the Aperture Vault, and one on CDs. Now that I think about it, I should probably take all my CD's (which are purely for backup purposes anyway) and store them off-site.
03-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Lightroom, and the auto backup on import is set to a 40 Gb USB drive out of an IBM laptop that I fried by overheating it. I have an additional 20 Gb USB drive and enclosure. I am investigating on line backup storage, as I think this is the easiest and most economical way for me to do it.
03-13-2008, 07:21 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Geekybiker Quote
While we're at it, lets just throw our film negatives away too! After all who need the originals, or those extra negatives you never printed.

Might as well, a bad picture is a bad picture no matter how long its been in that shoe box. Unless you are Gary Winograd no one is going to print them. Do your kids a favor, leave them photo albums, not a digital mess, then they might actually look and enjoy some of those pictures. ch

03-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Might as well, a bad picture is a bad picture no matter how long its been in that shoe box. Unless you are Gary Winograd no one is going to print them. Do your kids a favor, leave them photo albums, not a digital mess, then they might actually look and enjoy some of those pictures. ch
Just curious as to how old you are? I'm 10x more likely to look at photos on digital media than on physical media. Plus digital files are easily searched and sorted by EXIF data and tags. Assuming you've kept up your library, finding every photo that contains a certain person is a simple matter in digital vs hours of searching on physical media. Not to mention I can hand someone every photo I've ever taken in digital format a a device smaller than a small photo album. Digital files are also easily backup up and copied to offsite locations cheaply so they aren't vulnerable to loss via fire etc. Whos leaving who a mess with digital files vs heaps of printed photos?

As for bad photos... there are tons of photos that I shoot that aren't worth displaying, but still are worth keeping for memories sake. I normally only delete out of focus, or other unsalvagable photos from a technical perspective.
03-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #39
Inactive Account

As for my age, I guess you could say I am well past the half way point. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with backing up digital files of photographs, and given the ephemeral nature of anything digital, it certainly is a good idea. I guess I live on an island, but I have always taken photographs in hopes that a might just get a few that are worth printing. And I far prefer the pleasure of examing a printed photograph in my hand or behind a frame than I do sitting behind a monitor. I certainly agree that digital files take up considerably less space than their old world counterparts. But if one's personal photography collection consists of two terra bites of digital files and four 8x10's, than I submit that there is a problem. As for one's leagacy, where talking archives here aren't we, I would rather leave behind a simple folder consisting of the pictures that meant the most to me than some ungodly number of digital files that no one will ever bother to look at, or that I would want them too. ch
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM   #40
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As for one's leagacy, where talking archives here aren't we, I would rather leave behind a simple folder consisting of the pictures that meant the most to me than some ungodly number of digital files that no one will ever bother to look at, or that I would want them too. ch
Wow this is opening up and entirely new can of worms here. In my professional life I am a Librarian, and one who has spent no small amount of time on preservation and archival issues. Usually with archives, the idea is to preserve it and park it away until it's needed, even if that is decades between uses.

One of the main problems facing digital preservation is the rapidity of technological change. An oft cited expample is the digitized version of the doomsday book (I forget the exact year this was done but I think it was sometime in the 80s - don't quote me). This is no longer readable. However, the originial from how many hundreds of years ago can be read just fine with human eyes.

Some papers and films (determined by testing for the film) has a life expectancy of 500 years give or take. Most digial media must be migrated every 10 years at minimum. Possibly even more frequently if you really want to insure continued readablility.

I know for me personally, I'm not going to want to be messing with all these files again and again and again. There will be a point in my life where I will just want to do as Cresent City say, just leave a folder or box or whatever of the images that meant the most. Chances are that future generations won't be able to read the digital media anyway. And they will be too busy with their own things to want to continue messing around with my files.

Mostly my opinion punctuated with a few morsels of actual knowledge.

Last edited by mel; 03-13-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: wording, small errors
03-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #41

I have a nice little NAS device hooked up at home with a couple of humongous hard drives in a mirrored raid setup. I also tend to just throw anything that I shoot onto my Flickr account as well.

Works well enough for me and for the most part due to my lack of experience most of my pictures at this point are junk anyway and I wouldn't really be too, too, depressed if I lost some. Unless of course it was some of my more cherished family pics of my wife and kid, then I would be sick with myself!