Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
11 Reasons why you DON'T need a new camera!

From 11 Reasons why you DON'T need a new camera!

QuoteQuote:
1. The technology might be more advanced than you are

Today’s cameras, regardless of class, are amazing machines. In fact, they are often more advanced than the people who use them. Too many beginning photographers buy new cameras without having mastered the old one instead.

2. It doesn’t include imagination in the package

And that’s what many photographers are looking for, more or less consciously. Don’t look for it in a new camera, because no matter how great hose guys have made the electronics and optics, they’re still galaxies away from positively influencing the way you think and feel a photograph.

3. You probably need the money for something else

By that I mean something really important, something you can’t live with, like a club membership, the haircuts for an entire year, new car fresheners, etc. Seriously, I’m sure you can think of something that has higher priority.

4. Larger files

Since every new camera, especially DSLRs comes with an increase in resolution, the files get bigger. So if a RAW file was 25MB four years ago, an uncompressed file from D800E is over 100MB. That means…you guessed it, further investments in storage.

5. Unrealistic expectations

Very often photographers read countless reviews about a certain camera and form an opinion before actually using in in the field. The thing about the reviews is that the cameras are tested in ideal conditions most of the times. The light is ok, the scenes are not radically different from one another, and you have one guy’s word that it does well in the field. I’m not saying that if a test says a camera is awesome, in real life it\s not. It just might feel different than you expect. This is especially true when you make a brand change, like so many did from Canon to Nikon and vice versa.

6. It’s no different from a pen

It is merely an instrument. Just like writers would use a pen back in the day to write a book, after it was finished no one would ask them “what kind of pen did you use to write this marvelous book”? Where I’m trying to get is that the final outcome rarely depends on megapixels, the material from which the camera is made, the number of frames per second and so on. It’s all about what you, the person using it can do.

7. Less weight = less stress

Even if you buy a new camera, you’ll probably want to keep the old one as backup. That means extra weight, and extra weight is always so fun for photographers…not. If you go traveling and decide to take a hike, you probably won’t want to carry your entire camera bag and that will cause the further stress of deciding what gear to take on the hike.

8. Less gear makes you better

Why? Just as I mentioned before, the more gear you have, the more stressed you will be and the less you will concentrate on actual photography. In case you didn’t now, actual photography is not what camera to use and at what settings. It’s everything else, the stuff no camera can do for you. If you stick to the least amount of gear that will allow you to do the job right, you should still have a clear mind to get things done. In time, this will also sharpen your mind and expand your vision.

9. The joy of saving

I know this sounds like a cliché from a cheap management book, but it’s kind of true. After the first few times of resisting when you want to buy something you don’t actually need, saving money will become just as fun as earning it. I’m not saying you should turn cheap and greedy, but saving does have its benefits.

10. Investments in lenses are wiser

Cameras lose value in a very short period of time compared to quality lenses. Besides, the quality of a photograph is mostly dictated by the optics. You’re much better of investing in some good glass than in a shiny new camera. Your photos will look better, with the same camera, and the resell value of a lens will be a lot higher than that of an old camera.

11. Investments in lighting are wiser too

If you’re looking for better photographs and you think the solution is a new camera, you might be wrong. Just like good glass means better quality, good lighting means good photos. Sure, the newer cameras have better ISO performance, but why would you want to limit yourself to available light instead of making your own light? No matter how good your camera is, if you don’t know how to make the best out of a certain light or how to create the light you need, you won’t stand a chance of becoming a good photographer.

08-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
It is merely an instrument. Just like writers would use a pen back in the day to write a book, after it was finished no one would ask them “what kind of pen did you use to write this marvelous book”? Where I’m trying to get is that the final outcome rarely depends on megapixels, the material from which the camera is made, the number of frames per second and so on. It’s all about what you, the person using it can do.
Heh. I've heard the "you must have a really good camera" line from tourists. Elsewhere I saw another good comparison: telling the cook that dinner was delicious and that "you must have really good pots".
But, funny how for many people the idea just doesn't translate to photography. I think an awful lot of people (many photographers included) think that a "better" camera makes better photos. I mean, ok, to a point -- but not likely the way people think of it.

And reason #12:
It will be obsolete in 6 months, replaced by something with a few more megapixels.
(says the filmie with an "old" camera!)
08-17-2013, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Well I for one, do need a new camera. Why? Because I just sold my K7, and I'd look pretty silly holding my lenses up with no camera attached....

Regards
08-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the post ... quite happy with my K-5 and not going to think about moving up until its 4 year warranty expires ... we're almost half way there now ... also secretly waiting and saving for a FF ... oops, just dropped the F word, sorry J

08-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Good post, even if we all choose to ignore it

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Heh. I've heard the "you must have a really good camera" line from tourists. Elsewhere I saw another good comparison: telling the cook that dinner was delicious and that "you must have really good pots".
But, funny how for many people the idea just doesn't translate to photography. I think an awful lot of people (many photographers included) think that a "better" camera makes better photos. I mean, ok, to a point -- but not likely the way people think of it.
Yup, Hemingway wrote good novels because the Corona #3 was a really good typewriter, right?

http://ardentagnostic.blogspot.no/2010/11/what-was-irving-penns-camera.html
08-18-2013, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Those are some valid reasons, but it's sort of like saying that hot chick at the office who has been enticing you "might be more advanced than you are". And.....she might not include "imagination in the package", but heck, we're willing to give her a try anyhow!

When it comes to women and cameras, logic seldom trumps lust.

Regards!
08-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

How about "My old one isn't broke" ?

08-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
How about "My old one isn't broke" ?
I was looking at buying a K7 to replace my ist ds. The ist ds is still taking great pictures and I am enjoying trying to get the best out of it. I havent hit it yet but Im still trying. I wish I had better resolution on the back screen and high detail (mp's) but for the 8x10 maximum that I print out, when I do print them out, the ist ds is perfect. I think I will spend that on the new CZ I want.
08-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
11 Reasons why you DON'T need a new camera!
How is this gonna help all our CBA and LBA issues, as both of these conditions do require to be fed.
08-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Re. issue 6....Wait, where does that leave those of us who invest several hundred greenbacks in a nice fountain pen...doubly-doomed?
08-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Pentaxian

All true, but how about "my K20D really is a fine tool but it doesn't quite delivers regarding AF and high ISO" ? What do you do then?
08-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #12

I dearly love my K10D's, but the LUST for a K5iis is beginning to take its toll.
08-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So who's going to write: "12 Reasons why you DO need a new camera." then?
08-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
I dearly love my K10D's, but the LUST for a K5iis is beginning to take its toll.
I have an old K100 that is a CCD sensor. Wonderful color and contrast. Its one of the reasons why Pentax use a CCD sensor in the 645D. It would be nice to see another CCD in a updated ASP-C sensor camera. Something like the K5IIs with out the AA filter, was more of a hit than what Pentax expected. The trouble is that CCDs are more expensive to make, and takes more support circuity (less battery life), thus creates higher design and manufacturing costs. Also, I don't believe that there is a CCD sensor that is comparable to the Sony sensor out there, so it would not be an easy exercise.

08-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good post, even if we all choose to ignore it

Yup, Hemingway wrote good novels because the Corona #3 was a really good typewriter, right?

Ardent Agnostic: What Camera did Irving Penn use?

Actually it was the booze, not the typewriter.