Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Internationa Freelance Photographers Organization?

International Freelance Photographers Organization are they the real deal? I keep getting mail from them to join there team of phtograhers.

03-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I doubt it. Freelance is freelance. There was a guy running a website once but I felt it was more like glory seeking.
03-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

anyone know where the monthly anarchy meetings are?
03-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote
International Freelance Photographers Organization are they the real deal? I keep getting mail from them to join there team of phtograhers.
I don't know why they wouldn't be 'real'. They have a website IFPO HOME PAGE .

Did you read through the website? Does it seem like a scam? Didn't you Google it?

I did notice that for $199 + $9 shipping you can get a nifty badge.
(Send me $208 and I'll give you a cool badge and a secret decoder ring! )

03-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PHOTOCOP Quote

Of course, there is no organization behind the International Freelance Photographers Organization. Instead, the entire organization is one guy running this "business" out of his home. He uses various fake names, most commonly Vonda Blackburn (the signiture most often appearing on his correspondence and products). Membership includes absolutely nothing beyond what is purchased from his product catalog, which he calls "Today's Photographer, IFPO's official magazine." One copy of this catalog, not a magazine subscription, is sent to all who join.

Ultimately, this guy's "business" is limited to selling fake press credentials representing nonexistent news agencies or publications (not wise to try during these periods of heightened police security at public events), fake certification (master photographer, etc) complete with fake wall certificates, and more. One of his more popular products is fake certification as model consultant (with fake ID's, forms, etc), which guys can use to scam or con women into posing for them. Some of these guys may simply be unaware using fraud/deception to obtain goods or services is a crime, while others may actually be criminals (rapists, etc) seeking, behind false identification, to gain access to young men and women.

As far as I'm concerned, this whole thing is bad business one would be well advised to stay away from.

stewart
03-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
Of course, there is no organization behind the International Freelance Photographers Organization. Instead, the entire organization is one guy running this "business" out of his home. He uses various fake names, most commonly Vonda Blackburn (the signiture most often appearing on his correspondence and products). Membership includes absolutely nothing beyond what is purchased from his product catalog, which he calls "Today's Photographer, IFPO's official magazine." One copy of this catalog, not a magazine subscription, is sent to all who join.

Ultimately, this guy's "business" is limited to selling fake press credentials representing nonexistent news agencies or publications (not wise to try during these periods of heightened police security at public events), fake certification (master photographer, etc) complete with fake wall certificates, and more. One of his more popular products is fake certification as model consultant (with fake ID's, forms, etc), which guys can use to scam or con women into posing for them. Some of these guys may simply be unaware using fraud/deception to obtain goods or services is a crime, while others may actually be criminals (rapists, etc) seeking, behind false identification, to gain access to young men and women.

As far as I'm concerned, this whole thing is bad business one would be well advised to stay away from.

stewart

you seem to know quite a bit about this.....

young innocent girls.. ehh....
03-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not by how you're hinting at, however. Actually, a newsletter I subscribed to at the time published a fairly interesting article on this not long after he started advertising in a national photo magazine many years ago. Part of the research for that included looking into one of the two addresses he was using at the time. While the address used on some correspondence was a post office box in North Carolina, he also occasionally used an address in another state which turned out to be a mail forwarding service. Nevertheless, the newsletter was able to find a local photographer able to provide his identity, which was verified by a search of local document archives. They were also able to determine there were no offices, no employees, no business license, and no tax records (only a "doing business as" checking account).

Finally, the newsletter visited the local district attorney's office, only to learn he wasn't doing anything overtly illegal - it wasn't a crime at the time to sell fake ID of this type, only to use fake ID in a fraudulent manner. The DA was able to check and verify there was no Vonda Blackburn living in that area, nor anyone by the others names he was using. However, using a fake name was also not illegal in itself.

Notice I'm using past tense in all this since some of the details, and the laws, may have changed since. There was a whole bunch more in the article, but I don't remember everything. However, when I visited his web site following the link above, I saw that, while he is now doing some things differently (new "programs," etc), the fundamentals are still as I remember them.

stewart

-

Last edited by stewart_photo; 03-25-2008 at 04:20 PM. Reason: clarification