Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2007, 05:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Network activity

I noticed there were a lot of IT people here but never noticed we had so many LAN-knowledgeable.

I've been doing a lot of stressing lately. First it was the OS failure on my laptop hdd and then as I was doing maintenance on the desktop I found some malware.

I've been running prevx, AVG and 2squared and each finds something different everytime. Anyway, my DT has a USB wifi adaptor and the last couple of days I have noticed constant, and I mean constant activity in the flickering - it just won't quit.

My LAN only allows 3 devices according to their MAC addresses and I use licenced XP Pro on both machines. I've looked at the task manager but there doesn't seem to be any processes except for the machine idle processes which has a high number, the rest are either 0 or 1%

I've looked over the internet and can't find anything which would guide me. D-Link has not yet replied. I've seen software like Air(something) but these are way too technical for me.

My LT wifi card, also a D-link does not have the same activity.

Any ideas??? I've even changed the router to issue a new IP every hour - although I don't know how this would help.

Thanks

01-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #2

Does your wireless router have the ability to create and keep a log of network traffic? You might have to switch a computer to a static IP address in order to do this, but it can give you an idea of what on the internet is being accessed. This will tell you what is generating that network traffic.

If nothing strange shows in the log, then you're OK. If something strange does show, then you can research that on the internet and look into removing it.
01-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The activity is normal. It's the wireless devices trying to keep their connection. My home network will do that sometimes when I am using a cordless phone. Because I am in a condo, sometimes when my neighbour uses their cordless phone, it causes a "hiccup" (for lack of a better term because my wireless network drops altogether for a moment, then comes back online).

This is because a lot of 2.4 GHz cordless phones use the same frequencies as some wireless networks. Even the 5.8 GHz will interfere with the newer 5.8GHz wireless networks (not as often).

Only way I got around it was to change channels until you find one that doesn't suffer from the interference.

Hope this helps.
01-16-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There are a lot of ways to accomplish the monitoring you need. The easiest is (for instant - real time) connection monitoring is to do a tracert from DOS to see what connections are occurring. At a command prompt, type in 'netstat 5' and it will give you a 'network status' every 5 seconds. Make sure you have your browser, IM, and email closed to reduce the connections.

01-16-2007, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a free program called Ethereal that lets you monitor the network activity on your PC.

Ethereal: Download
01-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Are you using a Firewall? If not try Zone Alarm Free Edition
at PC World - PC World Downloads - ZoneAlarm Free

It is a good 2 way software based firewall ( prevents outbound as well as inbound traffic).

It also has a traffic log.

-Alan
01-17-2007, 05:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm going to try to reply to all who have tried to help. So far yesterday and today the activity seems to have died down so I am suspecting it was a newly-installed malware trying to update it's library.

Mike, what is IM? I'll try your suggestion. Hopefully I will understand the gibberish, if any, that I get back.

Techno, I did try the log but it didn't show anything unusual. On the other hand, I think keeping the log would defeat the purpose since it would create a lot of traffic on it's own. I stand to be corrected here as I am not that knowledgeable on the subject-matter.

Alvin, thanks for the input. I agree it would be normal if it wasn't constant without quiting.

Eric, I think Ethereal was one of the apps. that I had looked into but found too technical for me. But will have another look.

Alan, I tried ZoneAlarm a few years back but found it too restrictive in that it was blocking more than I wanted blocked. Have they changed in the last 4 years or so.

Thank again guys. I really appreciate all of you taking time to reply.
01-17-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Alan, I tried ZoneAlarm a few years back but found it too restrictive in that it was blocking more than I wanted blocked. Have they changed in the last 4 years or so.
It basically is the same program. You do need to "train" it though. You train it by first setting the preferences to send an alert for each incident. You tell the program at that time whether to permanently deny/allow access or continue on a per incident basis. After a few weeks, you can change the preferences to log and not send an alert.

If you have broadband, and are not running any firewall, you are really inviting trouble. (In my opinion, the windows firewall is woefully inadequate.)

Cheers
-Alan

01-18-2007, 04:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
There is a free program called Ethereal that lets you monitor the network activity on your PC.

Ethereal: Download
Been trying since yesterday but that link seems to be down 'n out

Mike, thanks for the netstat command - seems to be working nicely.

ALL, traffic died-down completely and back to normal - I think it was the malware library update. One of these days when I have time, I'll check it again.

Last edited by JCSullivan; 01-18-2007 at 04:13 AM.
01-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Been trying since yesterday but that link seems to be down 'n out

Mike, thanks for the netstat command - seems to be working nicely.

ALL, traffic died-down completely and back to normal - I think it was the malware library update. One of these days when I have time, I'll check it again.
Sorry, I did not see your comment until just now. IM is Instant Message or an instant messenger such as Trillian, Yahoo, MSN, etc.

I second the comment about ZoneAlarm. It takes a bit of flack from some security guys, but as long as you take care to pay attention to what it is and is not allowing, it is a fantastic product for home use.
01-19-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mike, just wanna say thanks AGAIN. That netstat command is the BEST. Yesterday I was able to monitor the activity and there was one particular ip address which I googled and unbelievably found only 2 references to it. I later figured out it was coming from AVG.

So thanks again.

EDIT: Is there a way one can make the dos window remain open OVER all open windows?
01-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hmmm, one would think so but I do not believe this can be set. But you can do the following:

Once your DOS window is up, you can change it's orientation and fonts to a less-intrusive size. On the main bar (where it says Command Prompt Just right-click and then select 'Properties. You can then change the font and window sizes to minimize it's footprint a bit.
01-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found this neat little app at Eusing Software - Auto Window Manager: Resize your programs automatically, transparency windows, minimize to tray, stay on top

I am one heck of a happy individual. I can now go away for the weekend a shoot without having to think about home.

OK, so that was an excuse to say I'm off to Barrie this weekend and wished that I had thought of saying that here earlier so people would give me ideas. Unfortunately I leave in an hour or so.