Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

Help: buying gear, a guide for Canadians

Hi!

I'm from Ottawa, ON and I'm new to Canada. Well, it feels like Canadians are in a disadvantage compared to US customers... it feels like the prices are lower in the US, there are more rebates, no GST and PST. So maybe someone can summarize a short guide for Canadians on how to buy cheap with regard to the above mentioned issues?

1) buying from US store via internet. Shipping issues? GST? PST? Warranty? Rebates?
2) buying from Canadian store via internet. PST?
3) buying locally. Any advantages at all?

Thanks!!!!
Michael.

03-24-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

1. never any shipping issues, GST + PST and Duty on all the stuff i've bought even on used items :@, it adds up! pentax has an international warranty so should be alright, rebates don't qualify

2. i think if you buy from outfits in alberta, don't remember which ones, no PST

3. buying locally, advantage is if something is wrong, you can go back and change it
03-24-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
tdb

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply... It turns out to be as bad for Canadians as it looked... ;( Oh my! Any ways to beat that? Any?
03-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

get a friend in the states

have him buy the product (and apply for any rebates they might have)

some places dont charge shipping within the states.

then have him package it and send it to you (shipping is usualy 5 times less than any of the bigger companies charge you) and declare it... "used photo gear" or some junk like that, so you dont pay duty.

ta-da

even if you DONT do that, buying from B&H is cheaper than any place in canada

Henry's selling the 16-50*'s for 1000 dollars??~!~~ F*THAT!

03-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tdb Quote
Hi!

I'm from Ottawa, ON and I'm new to Canada. Well, it feels like Canadians are in a disadvantage compared to US customers... it feels like the prices are lower in the US, there are more rebates, no GST and PST. So maybe someone can summarize a short guide for Canadians on how to buy cheap with regard to the above mentioned issues?

1) buying from US store via internet. Shipping issues? GST? PST? Warranty? Rebates?

Thanks!!!!
Michael.
Americans are too spoiled compared to the rest of the world. Try to buy photo equipment in Great Britain, then you'll be glad to pay Canadian prices.
03-24-2008, 08:01 AM   #6

For quick price check / comparisons I use this Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canadians - photoprice.caCanadian auto price checker that updates daily and most Canadian stores will price match...
03-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
declare it... "used photo gear" or some junk like that, so you dont pay duty.
have you ever had a package inspected ?

03-24-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
have you ever had a package inspected ?
If the package comes from a camera shop address, they might. If it is coming from a friend with a residential address it is most likely not - but no quarantee though. Usually coming from USPS is better than coming from Fedex or UPS.

I purchased most of my equipment from BHphoto, Adorama, and thecamerastore in Calgary (only a few selected items are reasonably priced). You pay 10dollar for delivery plus GST only; still better than local store prices. I bought my camera body in Canada because it has 2-year warrenty as opposed to 1-year.
03-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
Pentaxian

get a friend in the states
have him buy the product ... and declare it... "used photo gear" or some junk like that, so you dont pay duty.
DSLRs, tripods, lenses, and most other cameras are "duty free" from the US. It's the tax, shipping, and any "brokerage fees" that FedEx or UPS (the worst!) will charge. Use USPS/ Canada Post as someone else suggested.

Henry's selling the 16-50*'s for 1000 dollars??~!~~ F*THAT!
Henry's will tie your wrists to your ankles and forgo the lube for every little purchase of new items. They should be a "retailer of last resort" if you need something right away and they're the only store with it in stock. In my experience (and many others I've heard from), simply put: you will be screwed, and it won't be nice.

That said, the Henry's Outlet/ Used Dept. (a store unto itself) seems like a different planet - with friendly, knowledgeable photographers behind the counters, and (gasp!) decent prices for hard to find stuff. Just no returns... usually.

-Mark
03-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
DSLRs, tripods, lenses, and most other cameras are "duty free" from the US. It's the tax, shipping, and any "brokerage fees" that FedEx or UPS (the worst!) will charge. Use USPS/ Canada Post as someone else suggested.

Henry's will tie your wrists to your ankles and forgo the lube for every little purchase of new items. They should be a "retailer of last resort" if you need something right away and they're the only store with it in stock. In my experience (and many others I've heard from), simply put: you will be screwed, and it won't be nice.

That said, the Henry's Outlet/ Used Dept. (a store unto itself) seems like a different planet - with friendly, knowledgeable photographers behind the counters, and (gasp!) decent prices for hard to find stuff. Just no returns... usually.

-Mark
I go to the Outlet used store sometimes, purchases only a few items such as filters. Their used price are not even that competitive. I have seen people haggering over the price down to the last dollar. I tried to stay away from purchasing any big ticketing item by myself; I would go with a friend who knows the people there.
03-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
when i ordered from B&H, two lenses were charged duty but the remote release wasn't :S ... i believe even on my used items i was charged duty and tax.

UPS isn't bad IF you don't choose the cheapest shipping option. some options include the brokerage fee. their pickup depot is relatively close to my house so it's not bad when (and not if) i am not home when they deliver

i guess all that applies to Henry's applies to Vistek as well?
03-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I've been skipping Henry's lately due to their prices and some of their sales staff.

I have purchased twice from HVStar (Hong Kong) and shipping to Canada has been painless and inexpensive. I have nothing but good things to say about them at this point.

I would consider purchasing expensive items closer to home in case something goes wrong, but only if I could haggle them down to within a few points of purchasing online.

- Andrew

ps. I have also purchased something from 2Filter.com but have yet to see it (2 weeks and 1 day later, the tracking number still doesn't show in USPS).
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tdb Quote
Hi!

Thanks!!!!
Michael.
If I lived in Ottawa, I would buy from Galaxy. As a matter of fact I did buy from Galaxy, and will buy from them again.
03-24-2008, 08:14 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Your "brokerage company" shouldn't charge you duty...

when i ordered from B&H, two lenses were charged duty but the remote release wasn't :S ... i believe even on my used items i was charged duty and tax.
If you are specifically charged duty, that is your "brokerage agent" (UPS or whomever) screwing you by not knowing how to read. (Sorry to be harsh, but I've done a lot of import/ export) Here is the article from Canada Border Services that shows the "duty free" status of photographic cameras, and lenses for cameras, specifically on import from a "most-favoured-nation" for use in Canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2008/01-99/ch90-eng.pdf

Look for 9002.11 and 90.06

i guess all that applies to Henry's applies to Vistek as well?
I wouldn't know... they're much further down the road from my office. I hear they are good for video and equipment rentals, but nothing known as far as sales. Their prices are not much better than Henry's, though... $999.99 for the DA*16-50mm!!

-Mark

Last edited by panoguy; 03-24-2008 at 08:22 PM.
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM   #15
JMS

I've sent used photo gear across the border to a friend in BC, and he got slapped with duty for it.