Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Don't need them. I'm a bonafide cat lady/cat whisperer type. There isn't much about training cats I don't know. I've trained myriads of them. I've been working with cats all my life. Usually I'm a whiz at it. It's just this cat. He's a stubborn little jackarse. He's coming along. He's just taking a bit longer than some I've raised. In all households with cats inevitably there is one cat that is Top Cat. Unfortunately I already have a Uber Top Cat in Lily and fixed or not he thinks he is Mister Ultra Machismo Tom Kitty. He just doesn't want to yield that title to her. He's a very dominant boy and she's a very, very dominant girl. It's a really tough combo, shrug. They'll just have to work it out. I'm just here to make sure no blood flies.

I'm betting on Lily though. She's a mean little cuss and she's been really nice to him so far. She can dish out a lot worse than he's been getting. He ain't seen nuthin yet, and if he doesn't learn some manners soon she may just stop acting like an adult being tolerant with a naughty kitten and nail his little furry arse. She's taken on huge DOGS and won. That kitten? He's no match for her, uhuh. She beat up my brother's big black lab and the neighbor's rottweiler. Terrified them both. That kitten, he's mincemeat if she really loses her temper and goes after him. Fortunately for him I think she finds him amusing. But when he's bugging her? She nearly turns the air blue. My dainty little fluffy girl cat? I'm pretty sure she can cuss like a sailor. I get the jist, even if I don't quite understand it.

Last edited by magkelly; 02-21-2014 at 07:12 PM.
03-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This stuff IS a bloody miracle.

Amazon.com: Nature's Miracle Just for Cats No Stress Calming Spray, 8-Ounce: Pet Supplies

Lily and Loki have been fighting like mad all week, nearly driving me crazy in the process. They just cannot seem to stop. They both want to be TOP CAT, and they won't budge one inch, either of them. I got this at the pet store today to see if it would work until the pheromone collars I bought the cats on Amazon show up. I sprayed it around here and there in spots where each cat likes to sit. At first I thought it wasn't effective at all, but then Loki and Lily both calmed down and low and behold peace reigned!!! I sprayed at like 7 I guess? It took about 2 hours worth of exposure to it I think but it's been NINE hours and there has not been a single cat snark session or fight yet. Loki is hanging out. He's totally chill, not manic. Lily is happy that he's finally acting civilized. Call me IMPRESSED. Yay!!!! Mellow kitties!!!! Grin.
03-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Loki nearly lost his life tonight. We had terrible scare. He had a bad reaction to a pheromone collar, apparently he can tolerate the other company's spray but not the Sentry collars. I put it on him and he started getting sick. He tried to claw it off and only got it half off, nearly strangled himself, badly cut his mouth and paws trying, made himself all bloody. The collar was supposed to be breakaway but wasn't. I literally had to cut it off him while he was panting, wheezing, and totally hysterical. He tore me up while I was at it. I look like I put my hands in a thorn bush.

He's okay now except for a sore mouth but I will NEVER let one of those collars near him or any other cat of mine ever again. I am writing a very nasty letter to the company about them. Apparently there are reviews about this kind of thing but they were pretty well buried so I did not see that unfortunately before I got them. Otherwise I probably would not have gone there in the first place.

These things, they're absolutely horrible. Just a friendly warning...

Sentry Calming Collar for Cats

Oh, one good thing? When I was struggling with him trying to get the bad collar off Lily came up on the bed next to us and got very upset too. I got the thing off but she spent the next hour nearby wherever he was making sure he was okay. Since then except for a few warning growls when he gets a little too close she's been letting him sit on a chair within 2 feet of her all night. She's definitely watching over him to make sure he's okay. She may think he's a little PITA but when it comes down to it she's watching out for him too and that's a lovely thing. That means she well on her way to accepting him as "hers." My big bad grouchy girl cat is a big old fake, it would seem, grin.

Last edited by magkelly; 03-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.
06-03-2014, 02:48 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Loki is one year old as of May 21st. He made it. My girl didn't end up killing him. :P Actually they are getting a long fairly well now though they do have their spats. He still keeps trying to be Top Cat and she's just not having that, lol. It's funny, till he came along I didn't realize just how fierce she could be. But she puts him right in his place, no hesitation whatsoever. He does not get the slightest chance to unseat her from being Top Cat. He gets too fresh she just whomps him one and that's that. I almost feel sorry for the little brat sometimes. He tries so hard! In any other household I think he would be Top Cat, but in this one he is just not.

He is not as big as I thought he would be at a year. I got him officially weighed the other day and he's actually lighter than I've been thinking he was using my scale. He's pretty small for a boy cat really. He's got tiny bones. I'm used to big boys that way. My other male cats usually weighed 12-14lbs or so and were quite a bit bigger boned. Vet says he barely weighs 10.2 lbs and he still looks more like a little boy cat than he does a full grown male. That's not uncommon with Siamese cats she says, but she still thinks he has a bit to grow yet that he's just a late bloomer.

I think he might have been the runt of his litter. He gets up into my arms and he still feels like an adolescent kitten to me. The only thing big about him are his paws and he has yet to grow into those if he is going to. I think he just might have big feet for his size. He has completely grown into his ears which makes me think he just might not get too much bigger. But you never know. Most of my boys they were still growing a bit well into their second year, at least in terms of putting on some weight. By a year they'd gotten most of their height and had all grown into their paws and ears. But all of them were definitely much bigger boned than Loki. Loki is a little pip squeak by comparison to any of them at this age.

He and my girl are about the same size actually now sans fur difference. She looks bigger because she's long haired but they weigh about the same and have the same bone structure. She's not a big cat either considering her Mom was a Maine Coon. She has gray tabby Maine Coon brothers and a sister that weigh in the 20's. They're HUGE. She was definitely the runt of her litter or was fathered by a second Tom. It literally takes two of her to make even one of them. They're all living with the same person and she and I are e-buddies. We send each other pics every now and again and it never ceases to amaze me how much bigger her siblings are. I would never believe they were even related except I know they are. I saw them in the shelter together as kittens with the Mom. I helped foster them at one point.

I wish I knew more about Loki's parentage but alas I don't. One of them had to be nearly full blooded Siamese given how he's turning out. He's just way too dainty for a cat with Male Ginger Tom genes otherwise. Speaking of, we're UP and talking, and rather loudly asking to be let out of the bathroom. He still gets put in when he needs a long nap. Loki just doesn't hardly sleep unless you make him and he won't let me sleep either unless I put him away from me when I am trying to get some Z's myself. His nap time is clearly done and it's playtime so off I go to let The Little Hellion out....